Speick stick.. This stuff is crazy good!!

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by MikekiM, Sep 27, 2010.

1. smokelaw1

smokelaw1 Member

As a dedicated over-latehrer, I applaud your excess! I routinely make enough lather for four or five passes. That way, three luxurious passes PLUS any touch ups and I have plenty. Especially with hard soaps, per use, they aren't really expensive. And I just love all that fluffy, slick lather.

I think I might be weirder than originally feared.

2. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Certainly, more is better since running out is the worst..

But with Speick, it seems that all I need to do is massage the residual that is left on my skin after a pass and it provides ample protection for another pass even if I don't lather from the brush..

This stuff is special in this respect at least as far as my limited experience can support..

None of the creams I use can do this.. nor can the few soaps I have.

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Mike, sounds like you're going to enjoy the majority of shave sticks out there if you're having these kinds of results with Speick.

The MÄURER & WIRTZ sticks (Tabac and Irisch Moos) explode into a richer, thicker lather than the Speick with very little effort and it never seems to end.

I'm not trying to bash the Speick stick, even though I realized I might be coming off like it...

:cool:

4. saturnine

saturnine Member

How does this compare to the Palmolive stick (scent, lather, slickness)? I have never used either (or any stick, for that matter). Just looking for an infallible inexpensive stick to have a go at.

5. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Arko. Enough said.

6. saturnine

saturnine Member

I have read the scent is polarizing & that Palmolive is a good alternative with a more generally pleasurable odor.

Alright, go ahead. Tell me to try them both to see which I like.

It's not as though they are expensive, I just hate waste if I don't care for it.

7. Dridecker

Dridecker Sherlock

Since they're each relatively low priced, try them both to see which you like.

8. MikekiM

MikekiM Well-Known Member

Doesn't sound that way at all.. I'll just add it to my shopping list.... (yeah, right...wet shaving saves money...)

Add that to the list too...

Maybe we should buy a stick of each of these and split them. Even half a stick would last a long time if we like it, but not hurt the pocket as much if we don't.

Arko, Valobra, Tabac, Irish Moss... half a stick each.. ?

Cheap shot.. :happy102:happy102

9. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

Haha, yeah wet shaving to save money is a good one :happy102

Now I'm currently debating, should I get the Almond or Lavender Harris stick gah....

10. Empty Words

Empty Words New Member

I'm not sure how to describe the scent of Palmolive, but Speick has a nice, spicy cent. The lather from Palmolive has more cushion, while Speick provides more slickness. Palmolive softens the beard quite well, I find. Arko is a good stick as well.

11. saturnine

saturnine Member

Cushion is something I do not quite understand. Does this help minimize nicks? How do you gauge this, by comfort? In that sense, it seems very similar to, if not the same as, slickness.

12. saturnine

saturnine Member

It is tempting, but I'm just getting into this & don't want to overwhelm myself w/soap. Perhaps in the future. Nonetheless, thank you for the offer.

13. chappys4life

chappys4life Active Member

Ah just do it, you will need the stuff in the future anyways :D

14. saturnine

saturnine Member

If I tell you enablers to stop, will you listen?

15. chappys4life

Probably not, just teasing you. But in all seriousness its not a bad idea. Having a few soaps/cream is a good idea to see what you like and get a feel. Thats why so many companies do samples.

As a side note how are things shaving wise going for you?

16. sffone

sffone Member

+1+1+1 I've tried lots of soaps and creams through the years, and Arko shave sticks remain among my all-time favorites. However, I don't care for the stick form, but the sticks are relatively soft and pliant, so I just pull them apart piece by piece and squish them into a shaving mug. Great stuff!

17. saturnine

saturnine Member

Of course, part & parcel for joining any forum relating to a hobby.

I should have my DE by this weekend so that will be the ultimate test. I've shaved a few times w/VDH & badger brush using a disposable & a fusion. It's not easy to judge, b/c I've changed too many variables at once - new soap, better prep, more careful, paying attention to direction of growth. A little less irritation, but much less bleeding since I realized I was shaving ATG in some places when I thought I was shaving WTG! (my only excuse is that no one ever taught me proper shaving technique & I never sought instruction until now). My lathering still needs work. I can't seem to build much in the bowl, but I can moreso on my face. Perhaps I am destined to be a face latherer, which makes me all the more interested in sticks.

Thank you for asking.

18. chappys4life

Your welcome we tease but we care too. Just an option you might want to try a cream to start out with. It is up to you but from my understanding they are more forgiving for us newbies. Like I said its up to you but something to think about.

19. saturnine

saturnine Member

I had planned on ordering some Proraso as that seems to be held in high esteem. Although I may just get something on TSD site as they have several at lower cost (the Wheat gets a lot of mentions). I tried lathering one of my existing expensive creams (Aveda) & it failed. Of course, it could have been user error.

20. chappys4life

If you have a bath and body works near you they sell Proraso under the name C.O. Bigelow. Also the body shop sells a maca root shave cream. Both easy options but TSD store is a good option too. Lots of good reviews, I actually just got 4 soap samples from there but waiting until I get cream down a little better. Best of luck and keep us updated.