Spotty!

Discussion in 'Shave School' started by Lucy7, Jul 28, 2007.

1. Lucy7

Lucy7 New Member

When I use my DE (vision w/ derby blade) I get great shaves, best I've ever had. I've been using a straight for the last three shaves with strange results. The blade feels darn sharp. I end up with a BBS shave but spotty red skin, even though the shave didn't feel aggressive. When the Velva hits my face. It's on fire! :eek:It might just be the preshave oil making it feel smooth, while I don't notice and tear up my face. I prep pretty darn good. Opinions?

Thanks!

2. Reformation Student

Reformation Student New Member

Use extra light pressure and check your blade angle. It should be approximately 30 degrees. Lay the spine flat on your cheek and then lift it off until the angle is 30 degrees (about 2 spine widths). Did I say use LIGHT pressure.

The other help is time. I understand that it does take some time for the face to adjust from a DE or disposable razors to a straight.

3. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I had the same problem when I first started last spring. Since a straight blade is so much wider than a DE blade, and there is so much more contact, you really are exfoliating as you shave. So a couple of passes with a str8 really is taking off a lot of skin, too. Then when you rinse and hit it with the Velva, :scared011 .

Like RS says, your face will toughen up a little and get used to it, but it might take a week or two. You might not want to "swing for the fences" and go for BBS quite yet, but do a last pass with your Vision. YMMV.

4. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

I have some red irritation on my neck after a great shave....it burns with sweat :(. Im sure ill get use to the straight. Funny thing is...yesterday..i had to shave with a mach 3 cause i woke up late. Shaved with my str8 today and it was a much better shave. Damn red marks :(

5. Lucy7

Lucy7 New Member

I Feel ya. Same here.

6. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

My damn neck is red today.and hurts... I dont know what in the world im doing wrong...and today after my shave...i noticed my neck is pretty stubly due to the pain im experiencing. Im not pressing hard with my straight at all, but i want this darn red bumps to go away :(

7. Lucy7

Lucy7 New Member

I think I'm going to have to lay off of str8 shaving for a few days. I did notice thought, that I only did one pass wtg and finished off with a DE that it was significantly better today. That way I don't lose out on practice with the str8 or get a bad shave. I'm resting my skin for the next day nonetheless.