Sputnik blades. How are these not a thing?

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by SDK, Mar 30, 2015.

1. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I just tried a Sputnik blade for the first time last night and am shocked that these are not discussed more.

First, the shave:

Pre- Hot water face wash
    Razor- Russian Ideal adjustable (wanted a fully Russian shave)
    Blade- Sputnik
    Soap- Arko stick applied directly to the face
    Brush- Semogue 1305
    Post- Kramparts BR

[​IMG]

I was not really expecting much from Sputniks, primarily because I don't hear much about them. I was amazed from the first stroke of the razor!

The Sputnik blades are the closest thing to Feathers I have tried, and they come in at 1/3 the price. I got an exceptionally close and efficient shave with this blade. It seems just a barely perceptible bit less sharp than a Feather. This is actually a good thing for me. I enjoy Feathers, but get the same shave out of Sputniks and can be a bit less careful.

They are Teflon coated. I have read that they last longer than Feathers, and the second shave can be even better than the first. I am exited to try again tonight and will update this review.

Sputnik blades are currently easy to find, and incredibly priced when ordered directly from Russia. For those who are fans of sharper blades, I highly recommend you give them a try.

2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I just got some Sputniks and I will be using one for the first time on Wednesday's shave. I am looking forward to it even more now.

SDK and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

I have always wanted to try these but have never had the opportunity.

SDK likes this.
  4. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Think I have a pack somewhere... OK, you convinced me. I'll give them a go!

SDK likes this.
  5. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I just got 100 Sputniks. I'm sold! I really like these blades, a lot. So much they could replace my beloved Ladas. Ok. Maybe not, but Sputniks are really good blades.

Slow Joe and SDK like this.
  6. BigMark

BigMark Tests razors by shaving Wookies

Hows the Ideal? I found it on ebay but not for 40 bux plus 7 for snh.

SDK likes this.
  7. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Yeah...they're a thing.

Radiotube and SDK like this.
  8. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Those of you who are giving them try, I hope you enjoy them as much as I did.

Just finished shave number two. It was smoother and quicker than last night. I usually get three shaves out of a Feather, but the the third starts getting a bit dodgy. If I get a great third shave, or God forbid a fourth out of the Sputnik I am going to order a few hundred.

9. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I also have 20 Ladas blades and 60 assorted Rapiras to try. Glad to hear that the Ladas get some love too.

RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  10. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Mark- it is a very nice razor and comparable to a slim adjustable.

Did the prices on these jump? I got mine for $25 shipped. Honestly, for $47 I would just buy a slim.

11. sir_mike

sir_mike Well-Known Member

I havent tried the Ladas yet but they are coming up very soon and also glad that they seem to get some love here cause I have about 50 or so of them! :)

Bama Samurai and SDK like this.
  12. 782sirbrian

782sirbrian Well-Known Member

SDK likes this.
  13. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

Send me your address and I'll send you a tuck. They are a really good blade.

JamesFavre, tuxxdk, Slow Joe and 2 others like this.
  14. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Thanks! PM sent.

Bama Samurai, SDK and NCoxSTL like this.
  15. NCoxSTL

NCoxSTL AAACK!

No problem comrade.

Bama Samurai, Mr. Shaverman and SDK like this.
  16. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

Working my way thru a Russian sample pack that includes; Voskhods, Ladas, Sputniks & Rapira Lux's, SS & Swedes. Haven't tried the Sputs yet but will let you know when I do. So far, the 3 Rapira's have been excellent!

SDK and NCoxSTL like this.
  17. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I have the same sampler, although I already love Voskhods and had a tuck of Sputniks ahead of their arrival.

I am doing an injector focus in April, and will then start working my way through the Rapiras...

Bama Samurai and NCoxSTL like this.
  18. SDK

SDK it's his fault

I got a third great shave out of this blade last night, with no signs of any deterioration. I am going to delay my injector focus for a day to see if I can get a fourth good shave. If I do, it will be unprecedented, and I have tried a "lot" of different blades!

Mr. Shaverman and NCoxSTL like this.
  19. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I love Sputnik blades. Just ordered 50 more of them and 50 Vokshod. I am also superseded they aren't talked about more. I don't know if they are as sharp as a Feather blade, but IMHO they are more comfortable and smoother. As a wise member says a lot:
    " Go out and get it" ....these blades I mean

SDK likes this.
  20. SDK

SDK it's his fault

Absolutely agree. If I get a fourth out of this one tonight, it will put me in 2-3 cents per shave territory...

Spyder and NCoxSTL like this.