Square/Spike and Round Points

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Scorpio, Dec 29, 2007.

1. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

This is one of the questions often asked by beginners and those interested in straight razors. There are varied opinions to this subject. Back when I was still studying the razors, I asked experienced individuals for their advise on this subject, which of course, turned out to be very sound advise.

For a beginner it is recommended to choose a Round Tip/Point blade. The reason for this is that while you are learning the new skill this blade point is going to be more forgiving. You are learning to hold the blade, learning new shaving angles and most likely getting a small cut here and there. The Round tip will minimize the likelyhood of cutting yourself with the tip of the blade. This does not mean that you will not cut yourself with the rest of the blade...you still have to excercise caution and be aware of the blade at all times. Of course, just because you use a round tip even after some time does not mean you are still novice. Many experience straight shavers use round tips. The shape of the tip of the blade makes it less difficult to learn to shave.

Once you have been shaving for some time you can try your hand at a square/spike tip blade. These blades require that you pay more attention to the shave and to what the tip of the blade is doing. I can assure you if forget or do not pay attention to what you are doing the blade will quickly remind you. That is not to say that these blades are more difficult to use. I think they just require a higher level of attention until you become more comfortable using them. If you have a moustache, goatee or Van Dyke these blades are great for detail work around your facial hair.

A good size blade for a new straight shaver is 5/8. This blade is not too small nor too big. Once you have been shaving for some time you can make a determination as to wether you want to go with a bigger blade. For me 6/8 is the largest blade I can use based on the size of my face.

There are some straight shavers that learned to shave with a Square/spike tip blade. There is nothing wrong by learning with this shape blade. Many have done it this way. For me it was easier to learn with a round tip and I am grateful to those who recommended I learned this way. If I would have cut myself a lot while learning I am not sure I would have stuck with it. Always remember that this is a new skill with a learning curve that requires patience and attention to detail but it will reward you with the best shaves.

Of course, I am not an expert. I have been shaving with a straight daily for over a year so I wanted to share what I have learned and my thoughts on this subject. We welcome straight shavers to share their opinions, experiences and questions.

Raf

2. IsaacRN

IsaacRN Active Member

THats sound advice. I find that when i first started, your not aware of all the angles that a long blade like a straight can move to. A spike/square can poke you in some funny places if your not wary. WHile its not impossible to learn with the Square....its easier with the round at the beginning.

3. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

I know my first blade is Round, which I prefer looks wise personally.

4. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

I did learn with a square tip, but I think Raf is spot on.

And 5/8 is a very good middle-of-the-road width, perfect to start with. I usually use a larger width now, but 5/8 are easier to "see around."