Squeaky Slim Question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by The Flying Frenchman, May 16, 2010.

1. So after my shave this morning I noticed as I removed the end of the week blade, that my Slim was squeaking a little as I twisted it open.

Here is my question. Is this permanent? I noticed that it was a little stiff too to open. Is this rust on the inside, or simply a build up of something else?
    While not so bothersome, is there some way to remove this?

I apologize if this has already been covered, my search yielded nothing.

thanks everybody!

2. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

A quick cleaning and a couple drops of baby oil should fix things right up.

3. rockrabbit

rockrabbit Member

I used to dip the razor into mineral oil and had no issues!

4. What would you recommend to clean it? I hear many people suggest Scrubbing Bubbles? I'll also pick up some mineral/baby oil and see if that makes a difference. I currently use rubbing alcohol to help evaporate the water.

5. battle.munky

battle.munky Has the menthol.munky on his back!

I use vinegar, cheapest is best, and a few drops of dish soap in it. Let the razor soak in that solution for a few minutes, making sure to actuate the doors a few times while it is in the "soak" phase of the cleaning. Then pull it out of the cleaning solution and scrub it up with a toothbrush and then rinse in hot water.

I use this because we don't use scrubbing bubbles but I've hear scrubbing bubbles works well if you have it.

6. dashmaverick

dashmaverick Member

Yes, scrubbing bubbles will work fine. Actually, believe it or not, toothpaste works quite well for cleaning and removing soap buildup. You can also boil some water and let the razor soak to loosen any buildup. Pretty much any of these suggestions mentioned here and above will work, just don't use anything too abrasive like bleach or metal polish and you'll do fine.

7. Thanks guys. I'll definitely try the vinegar dishsoap thing this afternoon! See if I can't clean this razor up a little.