Standard Set No. 460

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Rev579, Mar 15, 2018.

1. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I finally got around to shaving with a 102A in a more critical manner. Wow. I am still working out my thoughts on the shave.
    Silver 102A
    Perma Sharp Super
    Pre de Provence No. 63 Beard Oil
    Pre de Provence No. 63 Shaving Soap
    Semogue 830
    Georgetown Pottery Scuttle

[​IMG]

I had to place a couple of orders online, so I included a final missing piece to my obsession with PDP 63-Beard Oil. After a 3-day growth filled my face, I decided to apply my newly acquired beard oil and bloom my No. 63 puck with some hot water. After about 5 minutes, I poured out the brush soak and began to load my brush over the newly emptied scuttle. Wiping the edges of the puck tin, I applied the residual to my face and began to work the loaded puck in the scuttle. Slowly, but surely one of the best lathers to-date began to emerge(I wish I would have taken a picture or two).
    I proudly worked the boar bristles across my face and really didn't want to stop. There was something quite satisfying in using a lather that had, up to that point, been quite elusive. Shifting from satisfaction to curiosity, I pulled the razor and blade combination down my cheek both in a guarded as well as critical manner. After finishing a true first pass, I manually unloaded my brush of the extra-virgin lather(it was like a cross between pudding and yogurt) and shared the portion(thick meringue?) across my face and neck. It turns out it was a great shave already; and my neck was slick and smooth, save 2 typical locations.
    The second pass didn't do much work-it just wasn't needed except those 2 follicle hurricanes and the region that creates the Van Dyke that resembles a petrified forest. But the 102A and Perma Sharp wiped the board clean. But the efficiency isn't even the best part. I simply expected Nicks and Weepers to be a part of the process. Not a one. No blood, no rash, no missed areas. Those grey and auburn whiskers wiped away like Spring-time pollen.
    I was never really committed to the 102 or 102A beyond the historicity of the razor and the general beauty of this design that would usher in a change that would touch everyone. Yet, again and again, I would read comments related to the strange feeling of satisfaction and even suggestions stating that they got it right the first time and didn't need to "Improve" upon the razor. I get it now. I'm just glad I bought any I saw(within reason) and that they are a plentiful style.
    I'll still honor my commitment and promise to thin out the result from my early RAD, but the 102A is more than a "looker" now, it's a "user".

Misphit likes this.