Star Trek (etc.)

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by chazt, Apr 12, 2024.

1. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Let’s talk Star Trek! This can go in a myriad of directions. Fave characters, “best“ Captain, fave episode, film, etc. Like the universe in which it’s set, there are no limits to where we can take it!

Like many, I’m a fan. But I’m not a Trekkie. At least I don’t consider myself to be one. I have never been to a sci-fi convention, nor have I worn a costume. Full disclosure, I do own three or four ST novels and a movie or two. At one time I owned the very first Star Trek comic book. My Mom was unenlightened, and when I moved out, she decided to toss my boxes of comics and baseball cards. I remember watching TOS on our little b&w television for many years, and when my Dad finally broke down and bought a “big” color set (19 inches diagonally), lemmetellya, it was a revelation! Pop was a fan too. Until he passed, we went to all the movies together as they were released. Those are some of my fondest memories of him.

When the modern Star Trek era hit (i.e., post “Enterprise” series and the TNG films) I couldn’t keep up. Going to these new movies with fresh faces playing familiar characters was just bizarre. I felt somehow disloyal to the casts with whom I remained enamored. So I just watched the old movies and tv series again and again. Unlike some old pop tunes that have become a bore after 50 years, the old ST installments still hold my interest.

Fast forward to last month.. my son-in-law set me up with access to his prime video account. It has paramount+ which seems to have a lock on everything Star Trek. I just finished bingeing Picard. It was sentimentally enjoyable with some very good parts. If you haven’t seen it I recommend you do. So now I’m at the point, before moving on to the other modern era series and movies I haven’t yet seen, I’m thinking of watching the franchise from the beginning of the timeline, not strictly in release order. Has anyone done this?

Talk to me.
    IMG_3623.gif

2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I continue to watch Star Trek (reruns). I personally find some of the episodes were written and acted very well (some not so much) Whether it's the original Next Generation, Deep Space Nine, Voyager, or Enterprise I watch all of them.

:signs097:

gorgo2, chazt and Tdmsu like this.
  3. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

TOS.

And after over 50 years of watching this show, I just recently realized what it is that appeals to me about my favorite episodes. They're the ones dealing with aloneness that always got me the most...Metamorphosis, Who Mourns for Adonais, Devil in the Dark (Nimoy sells it), All Our Yesterdays, Requiem for Methuselah...even (the ending of) The Alternative Factor. Along with a few obvious others (Doomsday Machine, COTEOF), these have always been the most rewatchable for me. Funny I never figured that out before.

DrStrange, chazt, Tdmsu and 1 other person like this.
  4. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

My favorite is TOS. I never was able to get into TNG very much, though. I like the new SNW series, and Below Decks is a fun change of pace where it is not always focused on the bridge staff and captain - the crossover was epic!
    Balance of Terror is my favorite episode, followed closely by Doomsday Machine.

gorgo2, Enrico and chazt like this.
  5. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Re: the Doomsday Machine,, Matt Decker was a solid character. Nuts, but solid. I find it interesting how it’s so often the Commodores and Admirals who are either crazy, pissy psychos or agents of mayhem as a result of alien possession. Clearly a recurring theme amongst the writers.

Sara-s, gorgo2 and Tdmsu like this.
  6. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I grew up with TOS. I always loved their ride, NCC-1701. It rode smoother and went faster than my 1970 Buick LeSabre with the GM 350 engine and 4 barrel carb. More fuel efficient too.

1.jpg

And when Capt. Kirk needed to go pedal down, he called on the one and only Chief Engineer Lt. Commander Montgomery Scott! :cool:

1.png

DrStrange, gorgo2, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  7. wristwatchb

I wonder if Kirk rocked Brut, Hai Karate, Aramis...or Clubman?

Normally Clubman was banned from use onboard Starships for reasons of common decency, health, and hygiene. However, Starfleet Command reportedly allowed the Enterprise crew to use it when exploring strange new worlds greater than 100 million light years from Earth.

gorgo2, Enrico, brit and 3 others like this.
  8. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

:happy102:

Tdmsu and wristwatchb like this.
  9. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

My money is on hai karate. It drives the green alien women wild.

gorgo2, Enrico, Paul Turner and 4 others like this.
  10. chazt

chazt Methuselah Shaver

Scotty always managed to find a way to come through for his Captain!

Sara-s, gorgo2, Enrico and 2 others like this.
  11. wristwatchb

1.gif

gorgo2, elektrotasil, Enrico and 3 others like this.
  12. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

Tdmsu, gorgo2, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  13. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

wristwatchb likes this.
  14. Paul Turner

The "strange new world" I explore when I use it is.......my bathroom :).

wristwatchb and chazt like this.
  15. Paul Turner

Scotty-the Davy Jones of Star Trek.

wristwatchb and chazt like this.
  16. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    Total Trekkie

I have Loved it all,, I haven't made it through all of the Deep Space Nine YET,,,, but I will, Below Decks I will watch

The one that has really surprised me that I actually like is Prodigy

Queen of Blades and chazt like this.
  17. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

18. jaro

jaro the dread and the fear

I was / am still loosely still a part of the universe because we used to do charity work that involved star trek.. I have been and still am fortunate to have been friends with some of the original cast of EACH series who are no longer with us and with some who are... I remember drinking with Jimmy Doohan ( Scotty ) and people would come up for autographs and he would usually have almost ANY female fan take a picture with him sitting on his knee !! He was a real character and I adored him...

Tdmsu, gorgo2 and chazt like this.
  19. jaro

I like some of the newer cast also and some are fun to hang with while some others are a real pain in the @$$..... Did you guys and gals know that Kane Hodder was in star trek playing an alien?? Yes Jason Voorhees Was an alien and a protector of my wife against tracy lords bodyguards... My wife and I were seated at one of the celebrity tables at one of the Sci Fi conventions on their "Walk Of Fame" we were seated with Lou Ferrigno and a friens who is a horror movie "Scream Queen " and the lady (ronnie) one of our best friend in the WHOLE WORLD who was the inspiration for the Duras sisters outfits / characters ( Ronnies gear was what made the Star trek costumers switch female klingons to more feminine outfits.. IE showing LOTS OF Cleavage !!! ) and Kane was at the table beside us.. Alicia ( my wife ) had been talking with Kane and he told her to pick one of his pics for him to sign to give to her and alicia picked one of his star trek pics and he asked her why she didnt pick one of the jason pics and she told him that Jason kind of made her uneasy and nervous with the way he just goes for a strool while chasing everyone and he would still catch them and slaughter them !! Kane told her a very dirty joke and then told her to go watch one of the 13 th movies again and every time jason went to hurt someone for her to remember the joke he told her !!! the fact of jason telling a dirty joke kind of helped her some but she still gets a little unsettled... Okay now back to the other story I was tellimg, well Alicia was sitting at the table and she had to go to the bathroom so she got up and went and on her way back she had to go past Tracy Lords table (Tracy brought her own security BTW) well people were waiting to get Tracys autograph and Her security asked alicia if she was waiting to get an autograph or a picture and when Alicia said no well tracys security said "you need to move then and pushed her backwards into the table that Peter Woodward and Sarah Douglas were seated at !!!! Alicia came back crying and when we found out what happened LOU Ferrignio AND KANE Hodder BOTH tried to jump over the tables to go after Tracy's bodyguards !!! I was able to keep them from it though and then I asked them you know what? I wonder if it was The incredible Hulk AND Jason against Tracys bodyguards who did they think would win.. Lou and Kane Both started laughing and said it wouldnt have even been a contest, they would have cleaned the floor with her bodyguards.. A little later we all had a discussion about it with Tracy , Peter , Sarah , Lou , Kane , Sandy and Ronnie and Alicia and myself and Tracy was very apologetic because it turned out the reason she had personal bodyguards was because she had a stalker and needed more than the normal convention security that we had.... I kow this was a little off topic but it is still Star Trek related...... Oh and on a funnier note at one of the room parties Robert O'reilly ( Chancellor Gowron, the leader of the Klingon Empire) Got sooooo drunk that he basically passed out on one of the floors at the party !!!! That was Completely HILARIOUS !!!!

Queen of Blades and chazt like this.
  20. jaro

TBH , I have a lot of "behind the scenes " moments and personal moments concerning Trek and some other Sci Fi movies and shows if anyone is interested.... I guess the reason I get along with most is because I have NEVER acted like I was star struck , They are just normal people after all.. There is ONLY ONE person I have EVER been star struck over and TBH its a singer... I was completely star struck when I got to meet Jimmy Buffett !!!!!!!!!! I did a painting of the riddles in the sand back cover which I signed and numbered ( there are and only will ever be 2 of the paintings and Buffet had one and I have the other...) He really liked it and he had it wrapped up and put into a box and He took it home , so I can only assume he still had it at his house before he died .... I was still able to keep my composure when I met him even though I Was / AM still a HUGE fan and was devestated when he passed away.....

DaltonGang and chazt like this.