Starting Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Kamen Tenshi, Jun 27, 2016.

1. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I wish I had thought of that. I've tried a shavette a few times, and managed to slice myself pretty good, a few times. Blood, lots of blood.

Billyfergie and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

Huh, muting the corners. Great idea @cjw . My most vivid memory using a shavette was when I set blade to skin and the corner popped me. I had the presence of mind to set the razor down, apply styptic, and try again. I stuck the same corner right in the same divot I cut just moments before. It didn't stop me from finishing the shave. A lesson was learned, paid for in blood.

3. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I have been trying to like shaving with a Parker SRX shavette; but after several months, my technique with it is not giving me a closer or smoother shave than my techniques with aggressive DE safety razors.

My whiskers are both thick and dense. I don't get more than 2 shaves from any blade (with the shavette). Am I using the right Shavette? I wondered about the Focus AL Slim. That seems to be a more advanced design than the typical SS clip design. Can anyone comment?

4. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

How many actual shaves with a shavette? It takes around 70 to get competent if you don't know straight razor.

Billyfergie likes this.
  5. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

Probably around 30-50, but my results are pretty consistent at this point. Not much variance from shave to shave.

Billyfergie and Bama Samurai like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Skin stretching is how bbs is achieved for me with an SR/shavette.

Billyfergie likes this.
  7. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

Stretched as far as I can go, I'm afraid. :(

RowdyAlpha likes this.
  8. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I have a Focus AL Slim and I am happy with it. It's great for travel. Not to aggressive and not to mild. With a 1/2 DE shavette it's one shave and done for the blade.

I will echo the above recommendations for a true straight razor. Easier than a shavette and definitely better if you have thick and dense whiskers. I also have thick and dense whiskers so I prefer a big heavy thick grind straight, plows right through the whiskers, no problem.

9. cjw

cjw Active Member

I have the Focus AL Slim too. Nice razor. Have a feather but the one I like the most is an inexpensive one I got off of e-bay. Liked it so much I bought a couple. It's what I use if I'm not using a regular straight. I think it's what ever feels good to you since most use the same blades.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bama Samurai and Keithmax like this.
  10. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

I just got one of these: Luxor Pro shavette with protective tabs that conceal the corners of the blade.

I've had a Parker SRX since they came out earlier in the year. As others note, it is pretty unforgiving. These are the only two shavettes I've owned and used, so my experience is limited.

I had originally wanted a Focus Slim AL, partially because of the protective tabs on it. Was slightly out of my price range. I had not found a Parker/Equinox/Sanguine style with protective tabs, so I went with the Parker SRX. I would not say I completely regret it, but I really prefer the Luxor Pro. I happened upon the Luxor by chance in a barber supply store and I jumped at the chance to have it because of the protective tabs.

The Luxor is overall heavier than the Parker. However, the spine is lighter. All the weight seems to be in the scales. The spine and scales on the Parker seem much closer in weight. After using the Parker, the Luxor is taking a little getting used to the balance. The lighter spine feels more agile. It is definitely easier to load and unload blades with the thinner spine. And the protective tabs absolutely make it a much smoother, safer, comfortable shave.

I want to remind folks that the blade is held between two slabs that form the spine. When you shave, this area will not dry. You do not want the blade to start rusting, because it will tea-stain the stainless and will plant the seeds there for rust on the razor itself. (Another reason I was attracted to the Focus Slim AL -- aluminium construction.) If you have a drop of oil, then you might consider applying that to the blade when you load it. The viscosity of the oil will also help to hold it in place while you close up the spine to secure the blade.

Really really enjoying the Luxor and would strongly recommend it to anyone wanting a shavette.

Carbide Mike, Keithmax and twhite like this.
  11. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

It really is a great shavette for the price. It will allow you to build your technique , without bleeding in the process. So many great shavette's out there. I believe Pickled Northern just got a great Irving barber shavette. Very Nice !. It has a thumbscrew to hold it together. Unique, and it works. Glad you are happy with the Luxor . I have my eyes on a GHOST shavette made of ceramic and Monel.

PickledNorthern likes this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

The Irving Barber with an injector blade.

[​IMG]

It will also take AC and half DE blades. I just got it, and only have four shaves on it, but am very happy with it. I have not tried it with a DE blade yet, just injector and Kai.

This is a recent re-entry into shavettes for me; I don't have a lot of others to compare it to, a Feather SS, a Parker and a Sam Seong kamisori style. The IBC (Irving Barber Company) is fairly heavy, close to 60 grams. It feels good in my hand, and has been fairly comfortable to use from the onset. I have a pretty darn coarse beard, and have been able to shave myself smooth as glass except for a couple of problem spots I need to keep working on. I would say that the last two shaves I had with it were better than any I had before. I cannot say that it is the razor for sure, or if it some of it was me. Sometimes when you put something down and come back to it, problems seem to work themselves out. Too soon to tell, but this is a pretty nice shavette.

It runs the same as a Feather SS at $70.

13. drone115b

drone115b Active Member

Well, here I am a month later reporting the first signs of rust on the Luxor Pro. I enjoyed it while it lasted....

danbuter and Carbide Mike like this.
  14. Carbide Mike

Carbide Mike 9 Lives

I had mine for about a year and a half, and it's fine. It is made over there so who knows :)

15. RowdyAlpha

RowdyAlpha New Member

I own the parker srx shavette, I used it twice and wasn't a fan. It took me twice as long to shave and wasn't as close as my DE r41. So to me it was like why would you use chop sticks if there's a fork or spoon available.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

Carbide Mike and Billyfergie like this.
  16. RyX

RyX DoH!

Sometime it's about getting back to that "first wet shave" feeling. I started with shavettes, did straights, DE's, Injectors, and I find myself back to exploring shavettes. With my added experience, better soaps, brushes, & aftershaves and the technique improvements I've accrued in a year and a half my beard reduction via shavette is much more better. It's like squirrel hunting - technique trumps tools.

17. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

It is a matter of the amount of time you want to put into it. Yes, I can get as good of a shave from some of my safety razors, but I do not enjoy them nearly as much. It will likely always take you as long or longer to use them, but with some shaves under your belt, they are every bit as close.

Similar to shaving with straights, it is said that you need to put in 100 shaves with one to feel a basic level of mastery. This of course will vary from person to person.

Just a matter of what you enjoy doing, and how much time you want to spend doing it. I suck at eating with chopsticks too, but I still fumble around with them.

18. RyX

RyX DoH!

Excellent analogy. I started with the disposable wooded sticks that come with Carry Out Chop Suey. Now I keep both stainless steel and plastic for everyday use. Picked up NIB Sterling Silver set that I'm saving for that special occasion.
    Chopsticks.gif
    Every day use isn't for everyone. Set your mind to it and improvement can happen.

19. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Couldn't have said it better myself. ;)