Stirling has a 26mm Plisson-like Brush for $19.95

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by GeneralKinetics, Jul 17, 2015.

1. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Who knows, down the road maybe Plisson will assume the same status as Q-tips and Kleenex where a brand name becomes the general umbrella name for a category of products.
    We're not there yet though ;)

2. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

This is a Generation 3 knot. Plenty of variations on the same theme out there. Given what I can see this would be a good brush and would have fetched around $50 - 75 just three years ago. Prices have been decreasing as suppliers increasing. This is a good thing.

As to the marketing aspect, remember my words in this thread. They hold more true today than when it was written.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threa...one-era-and-the-beginning-of-a-new-era.35089/

Tdmsu and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Imagine the looks from people if you were heard to utter the following, "My plisson has completely lost its stiffness, and has become undeniably floppy with wild hairs no matter how throughly I wash it and shake it dry!" :eek::happy102:

4. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

Looks like someone got into the church wine-locker a bit earlier than usual ;)

imGrunt, PLANofMAN and ObiDon like this.
  5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

:eatdrink047:

PLANofMAN and Darkbulb like this.
  6. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    It's probably going to be a great knot. Looking forward to your feedback.

ObiDon likes this.
  7. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Rod's generally a pretty responsive guy. Someone should just send him an email and ask.

8. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

It a good deal, thanks!:eatdrink047:
    Mine shipped!

9. ezlovan

ezlovan Well-Known Member

Supporting Vendor
    I asked the company if they were the same people who make the knots for Plisson. They wouldn't give me an answer. I don't know. It's a Yaqi knot, and other than the larger size I don't notice a difference in it and a Plisson. I certainly don't want anyone thinking that I am marketing them as Plisson knots, because they are not and I've purposefully stayed away from saying anything like that. All I know is I love the brush. It's really big, it's soft, and it's all I've been using since I got them in.

10. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

For sure. That was my typo in the title, which has been changed.

ezlovan likes this.
  11. ezlovan

Supporting Vendor
    No worries, I appreciate you changing it!

Omelmad likes this.
  12. GeneralKinetics

GeneralKinetics Well-Known Member

No problemos. We're all human.

13. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Ask and you shall receive...

ram57, ObiDon and ezlovan like this.
  14. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

All the synthetic fibers that are used in shaving brushes (including Plisson) have been appropriated from the cosmetic industry where they have been in use in some time since the cosmetic brush industry is many orders of magnitude greater in sales than traditional shaving brushes of all type..

I would recommend a review of these articles to provide a greater sense perspective. The fact is that all the brush manufacturers use fibers from a few major fiber manufacturers who are major corporations.

http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/synthetic-brush-history-articles-on-sharpologist.30473/

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015
  15. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

16. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Ditto.

17. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

has anyone tried stirlings pre-shave oils?

18. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Lookie what cam in the mail today from sterling a very meaty brush and a sample of their barbershop soap. The brush is huge compared to my others with only the Omega 48 being taller. As for the width, there in no comparison, it is probable the widest I own. The only downside for me is that the flare at the end feels sharp and not as comfortable in my large man hands. I much prefer the Omega handle wise as it fits much better. The burgundy brush to the left is a 24mm WD synthetic which always seemed to be lacking loft wise and hasn't been in my rotation much. The Stirling will go in tomorrow and I can't wait to try it. he Barbershop soap sample is quite nice and not overpowering like some but it is too close to the puck I am using now to enter my rotation.

Stirling (1).jpg Stirling (2).jpg

Tdmsu, Omelmad, ObiDon and 2 others like this.
  19. ezlovan

Supporting Vendor
    Really hope the brush performs well for you. Just a heads up in case it wasn't written on the packing slip - that's a Barbershop bath soap sample. So don't try to shave with it. :)

20. Misphit

Misphit Rest In Peace

Yeah, I saw that after I posted..... lol I claim Monday-itis, But twenty bucks for the brush is a steal, the soap is just the extra icing on the cake.

Spud likes this.