Str8, Feather AC, Dovo Shavette

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by qhsdoitall, May 2, 2007.

1. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

How much of a difference is there really between the three options? Understanding of course that a str8 requires honing and sharpening skills, how do the techniques differ and what are some of the pro's and cons for a DE shaver to move up or over to one of the three choices?

2. PalmettoB

PalmettoB The Old Guard

Hmmm...well, I have to be honest; I only know about straights. I think Trader Joe has some experience with a Feather AC. The shavettes are used by some, but I would think those are better for barbering (neck/around-the-ear shaving) than face shaving.

Some have suggested a Feather AC as an option to "try before you buy." Here you just use the DE-style blades and don't have the outlay for strops, hones, etc.

Having said that, if you are thinking you might like a straight razor, you might be better off trying to get one from a member here or at Straight Razor Place (some folks here are members over there, too.) They will be honed up to shaving sharp already, and then you don't have to mess with honing for a little while. You can get a starter strop from Tony Miller at http://thewellshavedgentleman.com.

YMMV, IMO, FWIW, etc.

3. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I have a new 4/8 DOVO INOX SS str8 that I need "one of the guys" to hone up for me to play with. Rene just got a "beautiful" razor from Joe that I gave up. I'll be keeping an eye out for something else. I think newbies need to know some of the differences they are looking at and not have to rely on marketing hype.

4. Scorpio

Scorpio Big Hitter

Ever since I started wetshaving my ultimate goal was to shave using a straight. As I became more familiar with the "scene" I reached a point where I was ready to try a straight. I bought one shave ready from Joe C and the rest is history. The purpose of buying a shave ready razor is that you can concentrate on learning to shave with it and not have to worry about honing. At this point the strop is all you need to keep it sharp. Stroping is another skill that you have to learn but once you are familiar with the technique it will keep you razor sharp for a while. I would suggest that if anyone wants to try to shave using a straight to do so. I never used a Feather AC or a shavette because I thought that the feel of the blade would not be the same. I do know that a straight will give a closer shave when compared to a DE.

My initial investment was under $80 for a razor and a strop. I figure if I did not like it I could sell it and make the money back. As it turns out now I have a bunch of DE's collecting dust. I simply don't see myself going back to a DE. I'll say this I have a goatee so I use one of my DE's to shape inside and around the edges.

I always recommend to new users to study, research and ask questions. This community is more than willing to always offer advise on any aspect of straight edge shaving.

Raf

5. C utz

C utz New Member

...the Feather AC is closer to the 'feel' of a straight razor (in hand) than the Shavette. The shavette, while pleanty sharp, is a bit light. If you are not sure about straight razor shaving and want to learn, I'd recommend a 'shave ready razor' and strop, or the feather AC with fresh blades. Each as their advantages and disadvantages, but you will get the feel and learn the technique of the shave....which is great. However, if you get hooked, you have that road of learning the art of honing and stroping (in my opinion is worth the trip).

One problem I have with DE razors is hair under my nose near my nostril. The DE razors (not the blade, but the head that holds the blade) always bump into my nose or somewhere, preventing me to get at those areas to get a clean shave. With a straight razor, I can see the razor edge and the hair/area, and get at them, one hair at a time if I wish....I feel I have much more control and 'options' with the straight razor (IMHO).

Anyway,

C utz

6. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

I just push my nose to the side or use a Merkur Mustache, trimming razor. The reason I posted is not so much for me. I'll be learning on a str8. It is that these are some options that a new person will be looking at try and maybe we can help them out a little.

7. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

If you, as a DE shaver, plan on hopping on the straight-train, then I'd say go right at it and fuggettabout those Shavette/AC-typa things. Just my $.02

8. qhsdoitall

qhsdoitall Wilbur

Train Wreck you mean. :roflI've contacted a honing guru to see if they have time to take on my humble str8.

9. moviemaniac

moviemaniac Tool Time

Train Wreck? If you say so :D
    And well done on contacting a honemeister - that was your first step into str8AD :rofl ::

10. netsurfr

netsurfr New Member

I use straights, feather RG, and DE's

I find that the feather to be quicker in the morning as you might expect because I do not need to strop. There is also the added convenience factor of being able to change blades quickly. The feather blades are superb and I enjoy shaving with them.

On the other hand, there is the satisfaction of shaving with a blade that you honed to perfection (hopefully) and stropped just before shaving to put that final superb conditioned edge on the blade. The only downside is the maintenance but most find that to be its own kind of relaxation.

So, to answer your question in a more concise way: It's a matter of time and taste but I find both have their places.

As for the shavettes, I have no experience with them. I believe they are more for barbershops to put the final touches on the neck and ears. Health standards seem to have prevented the continued use of straights in barbershops.