Straight Razor and Shavette Guide for Newbies

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Trigger, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Thanks, Danny! There will be more info about straight razor/shaving by me and hopefully many others. It really is important to consolidate this knowledge to one thread for easy access to those who want to tread on the Dark Side of the Moon.

Edison Carter and brit like this.
  2. Montalvani

Montalvani Well-Known Member

Well
    Thank four all of yours experience an advise. I have little to had. From my personal experience those are the key factores
    1- Be alone or close yourself while straight shaving. If anyone bumps into you or even if it just distracts you there can serious cut

2- If razor fall don’t catch it! let it go, let the Razor itself fall and stop. Trying to catch the razor is very dangerous and no worthy

3- you must be able not to be afraid. If you’re afraid don’t do it.

4- you need a steady hand and use both hands

5 - your razor as to be sharp, else don’t shave with it.

6 - ALL MY SERIOUS CUTS were from excess of confidence. If you fill cocky you will probably do mistakes. Go for a SR or other razor

7- if you cut yourself? well that’s life! No blood no glory. Preserve doing it but go back on basic technique.

8- most important: after the first pass, when your skin is already very slick do this: when you ear the singing of the blade repeat that stroke again, and again and again... till you stop earing any or almost any singing from the blade. The reason is that you will experience the most deep bbs and it give your comfort for achieving a so perfect shave area.

Enviado do meu iPhone usando o Tapatalk

3. Montalvani

But even so, I’v your tried straight shaving? I would try to master my hand, straight shaving is for everyone a kind o f fight that became a easier but never mastered without effort.

Edison Carter, brit and Trigger like this.
  4. Trigger

I love your enthusiasm, Montalvani, but according to doctors there are certain medical conditions that are not conducive to straight shave, namely hemophiliacs, dementia and Parkinson's.

Edison Carter, brit and Montalvani like this.
  5. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Unfortunately, Parkinson’s is an odd affliction! Any neurologist will tell you that the more one concentrates on lessening or mastering a tremor, the more exaggerated it becomes. I’m very content with my DE razors and my new interest in single edge razors. I thank you for the thought.

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Last edited: Aug 31, 2019
  6. Montalvani

Thank you Jeff and I’m sorry for my insistence and I’m glad if you really feel happy with DE. I mean I use also DE and SE and sometimes (one time during last year) I miss my electrical and gone for it . It’s just the way I’m. I won’t settle for a neurologist opinion, or anyone else for that matter until I try by myself, but of course I also understand my limits, so that is entirely up to you. When I was young we had a matte that if he had eaten a apple he would refuse to swim for 3hours, and he was bullied by the others for that, and in return in answered something like “my feelings are my one “ I always admired him for it and never joke with him for it.
    Kind regards

Edison Carter, Trigger and brit like this.
  7. Montalvani

Thank you.
    Kind regards

Trigger and brit like this.
  8. Montalvani

I have a perfect (for me ) single edge razor a Rarorock hawk2. Paired with a Kai mild pink blade it’s a smooth, comfortable easy and close shave I can get without a straight razor. In addition its cheap.

Edison Carter, Trigger and brit like this.
  9. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

That is the same razor and blade I use! I’ve gotten 7 great shaves off the same blade!

Enjoy your shaves,

Jeff

Trigger, brit and Montalvani like this.
  10. Trigger

OK, we need to stay focused and not get off track with this thread. I am guilty for allowing a little leeway, but please make comments that pertain to the title of this thread. I only want experienced straight and shavette shavers to share there knowledge and newbies to ask questions about straight razor and shavette shaving. Any comments or suggestions should be limited to the thread title. Thank you for your consideration.

Edison Carter, Montalvani and brit like this.
  11. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

Years ago I had an office mate who used to brag about his proficiency with a shavette. Then one day he arrived at work with a large bandage over one cheek and several stitches. He just wasn't paying attention, he said.

12. Trigger

Yes, in my original post, bullet point #7 covers it.

BigMike, Edison Carter and brit like this.
  13. Antz

Antz Active Member

Got a newbie question.. used my shavette for the first time .. everything went ok. I had some trouble getting the blade to stay straight while placing the bayonet back in. Any one have any tips to on how to load a razor so that the blade doesn’t fidget so much . Type of razor Focus R 21 with the stainless steel insert
    [​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Trigger

Hi Antz, I have only used a Dovo shavette, but the principle of loading is the same for all shavettes. When you load your razor, the blade has notches that fit onto the guideposts. Just keep pressure on the blade in the direction of the posts so that it doesn't move when you close the locking mechanism. If your shavette uses DE blades that you need to bend in half, makes sure that the two sides that are bent are face down. This will help the blade stay in place. Hope this helps.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    PLANofMAN and Antz like this.
  15. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Having not even known there was a Focus R21 with the SS bayonet, I cannot be of assistance.

When your R21 Evolution shows up, you will see that it securely and simply holds the blade in one place.

I have other 1/2 DE tools that require a special attention to blade loading.

Antz likes this.
  16. Antz

Antz Active Member

Thank you for the info .. I must have flipped the blade around 4 times wondering about that .. I ended up guessing right I guess lol

Trigger and Edison Carter like this.
  17. Antz

Antz Active Member

Thank you .. I can’t wait for it to come in

Trigger and Edison Carter like this.
  18. Trigger

You are welcome! I hope you read all the posts in this thread. I know most of the comments are specifically made for straight razors shaving, but the info also can be applied to shavettes.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
    Edison Carter likes this.
  19. Antz

Antz Active Member

Yes thank you I have read the comments.. a lot of sound advice. Learning very cautiously with this tool

Edison Carter and Trigger like this.
  20. Trigger

The most important thing to remember is to take your time, and use a very light touch. I would just do the cheeks with the grain and finish the shave with your normal razor. When you feel comfortable with the razor, then continue to do your neck with the grain for the 1 pass and finish with your normal razor. Only go for the second pass, when you feel comfortable. Eventually, you will have the ability to shave your whole face with 2 passes and touchups for a nice smooth shave.

Antz and Edison Carter like this.