Straight Razor and Shavette Guide for Newbies

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Trigger, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Slash McCoy

Slash McCoy Well-Known Member

I never said that they wouldn't. Only that the very cheap slide-out types on fleabay aren't very good. I am referring to the bottom of the barrel ones from China that are hit or miss on holding the blade securely. BBS is still possible even with these, but cuts are much more likely. For the record, I don't even own a shavette that cost over $10 and all but one use half DE blades. But I will be glad to send you one of the "bad" ones that I am pretty sure you wouldn't enjoy shaving with.

2. Trigger

Trigger Double Jedi Knight

Hi @BearCWY! Thanks for finding this thread. I am the original poster of it. Now, I first started with the Dovo shavette with the regular DE blades snapped in half and I got very good shaves. I graduated to using the Dovo long blades using the black insert and I liked them as well, but now these blades are discontinued and whatever is remaining is being sold at exorbitant prices. ShaveNation has them at ridiculous prices. I finally got to use the Personna Headshaper blades and they give the feeling of using a normal straight because its length is almost as large as a straight. I get great shaves from both blade sizes so it really depends on the shaver on what he decides. I have graduated to straight razors, but I still use my Dovo shavette for sentimental purposes. I recently bought a Parker shavette and I believe it is easier to use than the Dovo. Since you have traditional SR experience, I would go with the Personna hairshaper blades because it would be an easier transition for you. I have to ask, since you use a traditional straight, why are you interested in using shavettes?

3. BearCWY

BearCWY Well-Known Member

I guess I like the idea of not having to worry about stropping and having to rehone or have it rehoned. It gets dull and just change the blade and go. Also I like to try different things. I started out years ago with my Grandfathers Korona DE razor, then I got into Gillette adjustables razors, I love my Fatboy. I went on to SE's including some shick repeating razors, all vintage razors till I got a Supply single edge razor. Next was to step to what people have called the Dark Side. Straight Razors and I got hooked. Shaving with a straight and started collecting them. I bought really good ones like W&B and Duble Duck and others. I got some cheaper ones to practice honing on, but my good ones get sent to Glen Mecurio to hone. I've also bought some razors from him. But I've heard about Shvette razors and seen videos with people getting shaved by them. I wanted to know what it feels like, if it is close to my SR razors. The idea of not having to strop or hone a razor, especially when I travel and still be able to get a SR shave. I usually just take one of my DE or SE razors, but to be able to take a SR and one that if it get's damaged or lost I wouldn't cry over. If I damage the edge, well just pop in a new blade and I'm good to go. I guess that what appeals to me most, cost of replacement and ability for a fresh edge at a moments notice if I need it.

4. Trigger

All valid reasons, my friend! Shavettes give great straight shaves w/o the maintenence. I use them when I am lazy to strop or pressed for time. Sometimes, I will strop the night before I use the straight if I want to cut the time. I am primarily a traditional straight shaver, but use shavettes, DE and SE razors as well. My shaving philosophy is to be at least competent in every razor type. Enjoy your journey and I have your back. If you have any shaving questions, then I be more than happy to reply. God bless!

5. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

Gotcha. I get it now.

timabababaluka and Trigger like this.
  6. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

It's true that blades vary

7. JACarbone

JACarbone The Oud Dude

Never say “Never”. Look at you now. I know SWMBO tremors at the thought.

8. ewk

ewk Well-Known Member

As a newer member of TSD and a recent owner of a new (to me) Feather AC DX, I am very glad to see this thread resurrected. My first shave with it was OK with one weeper and one minor self-inflicted nick. The second shave was 5 weepers and a couple of nicks; not the right direction.

I read through this thread and just tried the recommendation to shave without the blade to gain dexterity in the non-dominant hand. I have plenty of inexpensive Arko soap, and a brand new fresh out of the box badger brush to break in. What better opportunity to practice extremely wet lather, try out a new brush, and actually get to shave on a day I decided not to shave!

Shaving without the blade is wonderful advice. Without the worry of irritation or getting cut, I was able to focus on new ways of skin stretching, angles, and approaches. I can much more easily see where my angle is bad, where I am putting too much pressure, and where I would DEFINITELY be getting a cut if there was a blade present. I really did not expect much from the exercise, but this first time was so fruitful, I am going to employ this through January to develop the dexterity I need in BOTH hands before putting the blade back in for February's focus.

The weirdest part was doing a final rinse with full 24 hour stubble still intact.

Trigger likes this.
  9. Trigger

I am glad that I brought my thread back to help you advance your open blade journey Eric.

ewk likes this.
  10. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

Thanks for starting this thread, Trigger!
    There's some good stuff in here!

After my first Focus R-28 shave, I emerged unscathed -- no nicks, cuts, or weepers, and I got a great shave! I figured I was a natural. This seemed pretty simple! My second shave was the same. This was TOO EASY! My 3rd and 4th shaves were... well... humbling. I found my groove again on shave #5.

The best advice I picked up on this thread was mentioned by Trigger, Montalvani, and a few others... don't get too comfortable or over-confident or it'll be bloody. I'm pretty sure those were the root causes of my two mishaps so far.

Too bad I didn't look at this thread or watch some videos FIRST; that advice might have averted some bloodshed. Then again, I'm a graduate of the School of Hard Knocks, coming back for a graduate degree in Shavettes, so it'd out of character if I approached this intelligently, or tried to figure out what I was doing beforehand. That'd be almost like cheating somehow!

I'm off for Shavette Shave #6. I've already got some Spongebob Squarepants band-aids waiting on the counter... just in case I see a squirrel out the window or get distracted by a random daydream.
    :)
    - Bax

Trigger likes this.
  11. Trigger

You are quite welcome and I am glad that you appreciated the info here. Just to let you know, I am the overseer of the TSD 30 DC crew thread. Our motto is Technique trumps tools. We encourage newbies and veterans of wetshaving of shaving with a razor that they have struggled in the past and complete 30 consecutive shaves. By that time, one would dial the razor in to get great shaves. The thread has been around 7 yrs and was started by Chris @Bama Samurai. We are a great bunch of guys that share valuable information as well as some tongue-in-cheek ribbing. The thread begins anew every month with the title corresponding to the current month. The title is July 2022 30 Day Rule/Focus and Discussion. All Are Welcome! If you check it out, go to the 1st post and you will get a better understanding of what the thread is about. Take care, Bax.

Karl G likes this.
  12. Bax

Bax Well-Known Member

I'll check it out, Joe!
    Thanks for the tip!
    :)
    - Bax

Trigger likes this.
  13. Trigger

:happy088: