Straight Razor Safety (Newbies Please Read)

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JoeB, May 5, 2014.

1. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

Joe and to all the other gentlemen who have posted this is a very good and needed discussion.

Another issue is the condition of your body, especially your hands and arms when it comes to Straight Shaving. If you have had neuromuscular issues such as carpal tunnel, tennis elbow, severe osteoarthritis, injuries, surgeries, etc. to your hands and arms you might want to put some serious consideration into deciding to move to straight razor shaving. You may be able to control a safety razor with no issues but that may not translate into you being able have the fine control needed for straight razor shaving. Many have had to "surrender" the straight razor and go to a safety razor because of life changes so that is another area that must be understood as well.

2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I dunno, some of those YMCA locker rooms are probably quite chilly and thus conducive to unforeseen scrotal contractions. Not sure what any of this has to do with using a straight razor in public, unless one is into some perilous 'manscaping'…….

Brian_1973, Karl G and fram773 like this.
  3. Adonis

Adonis Well-Known Member

I've been fascinated with straight razors for years. As soon as i "master" DE & SE shaving, I think the logical progression will be to the straight razor. I'm kind of excited about it :bounce015:

Brian_1973, Jayaruh, Tdmsu and 3 others like this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Many folks get into straight razor shaving because it is seen as macho. At least that is what I was told by a local cutlery store that sold large numbers of straight razors, mostly to college students. Mastering the use of a straight must have been quite gratifying, especially given the added benefits of a great shave and a smooth face.

I think Chris' comments are spot on in that a lot of men are scared of their own shadows nowadays. They don't have any right to lay those neurotic fears down on someone else simply for shaving. Not to mention that being a whiny snitch is not manly at all, especially when there are more adult ways to deal with the issue. Each man should be able to choose his own shaving implements without bother, be it a straight, safety razor, multiblade cartridge or electric. Or maybe a fellow being clean cut and clean shaven is now cause for fear and panic? Aaaaaaaaaiiiiiieeeeeeeeee, well groomed dudes are taking over the planet! Help! ;)

Brian_1973, Vlasta and Karl G like this.
  5. SaintAccardo

SaintAccardo Member

I could not agree with you more. It's a sad and irritating fact that men like this even exist but sadly they do. I honestly would've confronted the guy who had something to say about it and, yes my temper puts me into situations that may get me into trouble with authorities, but I wouldn't have let that rat get off without humiliating him in front of others and letting him realize that if you're going to act like a,....there will be a consequence/response. Maybe he will think a little more and let sleeping dogs lie before he decides to stir something up like this. Grrrrr this just makes me so mad, this whole story. I need to forget about this and relax. Sorry guys.

6. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I agree it is a little overboard to complain on another man shaving with a straight razor.

Personally, I am not the type to "show off" my ability to shave with a straight razor, and I really do not care what other people think. I am not angry with those who judge, but feel sorry for their lack of ability to express themselves , and demonstrate an ability that takes a considerable amount of time to master. Those who poke fun at or judge those who shave with straight razors really fear the confidence all members of the wetshaving community have as well as their ability to be themselves in public.

Brian_1973, Karl G and GDCarrington like this.
  7. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

The reverse could be true since the first DE/SE shavers came from straight razors.

Karl G and JoeB like this.
  8. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

True, however the progression from straights to SE/DE resulted from the act of shaving becoming simpler or more convenient and still providing great results for the shaver due to new razor designs.
    As I see it, progressing from SE/DE razors to straights is based more on one's developing technique and building confidence in wet-shaving, and thus desiring to try a new challenge.

Brian_1973, Jayaruh, Karl G and 2 others like this.
  9. BJV

BJV Active Member

I've been alternating straight razors between my vintage Genco 4/8 and Gold Dollar 6/8 since March of this year, and it is a MUCH steeper learning curve than I anticipated. I've never nicked myself (been wet-shaving so damn long), but I always have to "smooth-up" afterward with one of my SRs.

I'm determined to become proficient with the carbon steel blade, but if these instruments can (eventually) shave me as close as my Gillette Tech and Merkur 1904, I'll be damn surprised.

And BTW, I've never taken my SR into my gym locker room, but I've often put my Ruger .357 into the locker while I workout.

No Complaints yet...

JoeB and GDCarrington like this.
  10. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

They will be as effective as your DE razors in time. Still those DE razors are alot of fun collecting and easier to date and there is a ton of information on them.

Brian_1973, Karl G and HolyRollah like this.
  11. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Being only 6-7 months into my SR journey, I have seen a dramatic improvement in the quality of my SR shaves from when I first started. If I continue to use a straight razor 4-5 times a week, I foresee an ongoing increase in both my comfort and dexterity with the blade. I'm still not as slippery smooth as I can get with my DE razors, but i'm getting closer...;)

Brian_1973, Jayaruh and Karl G like this.
  12. JoeB

JoeB Well-Known Member

I have been straight shaving since 2011 and I can honestly say that my shaves continued to improve for well over a year. The learning curve is long but once you master it you won't be using those DE razors as much.

Brian_1973 and Karl G like this.
  13. ScottsBar

ScottsBar New Member

is a shavette the next logical step in the shift from DE to SR? Not really sure which direction to head...

Karl G likes this.
  14. BudWhite

BudWhite Well-Known Member

I only shaved with a shavette a few times before moving up to a straight. In hindsight, it's definitely not a "must" to progress from DE/SE to shavettes, then straights. Just jump right in.

My lovely little collection of DE's are collecting dust now that I've gotten proficient with a straight. Just a much more enjoyable and smooth shave once you tackle the steep learning curve.

Brian_1973, Karl G and ScottsBar like this.
  15. fram773

fram773 Well-Known Member

I suggest you jump in. Many people say shavettes are actually less forgiving than a straight. If you are scared to jump right in immediately, I suggest you try SEs first. The cutting angle and blade feel will be more like a straight than a DE. SEs will teach you to listen to the razor and the way it communicates: auditory feedback (SEs are very loud), tactile feedback; as those things will help you avoid getting cut and transfer over to straights.

I have just started straight shaving and found the straight razor horror stories to be completely untrue in my case. I've actually cut myself less than when I first learned to shave with a DE. It makes me think either they where just greatly exaggerating to seem cool and build up some street cred, or they just didn't have an intermediate step to help them (SEs), or I'm just plain lucky.

Brian_1973 and ScottsBar like this.
  16. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I've had a similar experience going from DE razors to straights as drawing less blood. Sure, there's the macho allure of danger handling a razor-sharp razor and wielding it about your face & throat without fear. That is part of the straight razor mystic. Truth be told, these preconceptions stem from both fear of the unknown and general lack of knowledge or misinformation. This used to be the only tried & true method put into action by all men who wished to shave. There's no magic. No secret handshake. No desire by new straight shavers to suddenly get an anchor tattoo on their biceps (unless of course, they think body art is simply fabulous! :happy068:).
    Straight razor shaving is just another way to shave. It does require patience. It does require practice.

Brian_1973, Karl G and lindyhopper66 like this.
  17. ScottsBar

ScottsBar New Member

Thanks guys! Not quite ready to make that leap yet but getting closer. This info really helps!!

Karl G likes this.
  18. BJV

BJV Active Member

I've been at it (SR shaving) off-and-on for 7 months now, and I'm seeing no improvement in the quality of the shave, although my technique seems much smoother. I've had both my straights honed professionally (the Gold Dollar twice), but neither the GD or the Genco seems anywhere near as sharp as my DE and Schicks.

Seriously now, can you really get a carbon steel blade as sharp as a Feather DE anyway?

Karl G likes this.
  19. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Trust me, there is something wrong! I can shave with a DE and go over the face afterwards with a Straight and feel the whiskers clipping off. reverse that and shave with a DE afterwards and there is nothing left for the De to cut. I don't know how many shaves you have under your belt in 7 months but there is more to learn. Don't give up, one day you will agree

Brian_1973 and Karl G like this.
  20. BJV

BJV Active Member

I hope so. Right now, for me it's just the opposite. After a SR shave, I have to go over my face with (usually) my Schick Type I to "clean up" the leftover whiskers.

But I'll be damned if I'm giving up!

Karl G likes this.