Straight Razor Safety (Newbies Please Read)

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JoeB, May 5, 2014.

1. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

That's the spirit! Not uncommon to have to perform 'clean up' with a DE for many months when learning.

Key words that stand out to me here are 'off-and-on." Learning to SR shave properly, for me, required a daily commitment for months on end, only using a DE razor to do a final clean-up pass. It was until probably 6-8 months in of daily use, that it began to click and I felt I was really getting the feel for it—and no longer required a DE 'closer.'

Carbon steel will take an edge sharp enough to successfully slice through a strand of human hair with no resistance (Hanging Hair Test, Level 5) The hair falls silently off as soon as it touches the edge. There's a reason why there's such high demand by professional chefs for carbon steel knives as the CS blades can be made wickedly sharp.
    The other advantage of an SR edge over a keen DE blade: With 'extra' sharp DE blades, such as Feathers, some shavers find them too sharp, too harsh. With a keen straight, the edge can be softened, made more comfortable in the honing process by choice of hones. With the DE blade, you'll only get a handful of quality shaves from each blade. With a good SR blade, you can get a lifetime of great shaves with daily stropping.

Brian_1973, Jayaruh, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  2. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

good for you. I almost gave up, sure glad I didn't. I have 290 shaves under my belt now and it just keeps getting better

Brian_1973 and Karl G like this.
  3. BJV

BJV Active Member

OK, you guys have re-energized me. I'll try to hit the straights more consistently. Right now, I've got to see about a malfunction waste disposal (whoopee!).

Karl G likes this.
  4. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

There's that peculiar idiom again being used in a shaving reference. :D
    The vast majority of my straight razor shaves are clearly above the shoulders. ;)

Karl G, lindyhopper66 and fram773 like this.
  5. BJV

BJV Active Member

Perhaps then I've been using my straights on the wrong surface???

Karl G and HolyRollah like this.
  6. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

Ha Ha, I can see how you guys are starting the day

Karl G and HolyRollah like this.
  7. BJV

BJV Active Member

I'd rather be starting with a Macanudo Prince Philip, but the bride has other priorities.

Karl G likes this.
  8. lindyhopper66

lindyhopper66 Well-Known Member

Gary, I've had carpal tunnel surgery on both hands along with trigger finger release surgeries. For the last year or so a familial tremor has kicked in, making it hard for me to write legibly or hold a glass or fork without shaking. For some reason, when I get a straight razor in my hand, everything calms down and my hands are steady as a surgeon's.

Also, I think the more I shave the less trouble I have with wet hands and grip. The water doesn't bother my grip at all, though I do like dry hands when I'm shaving.

I do believe straight razor shaving needs more attention than other types of shaving, but I do not think of it as such a dangerous activity. Nothing to be fearful of or even overly cautious.

Brian_1973, Jayaruh and Karl G like this.
  9. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

On the other hand, I work with a guy that claims to use a straight razor. Since he found out I am into shaving and associated products, he takes time nearly every day to mention that he "uses a straight"...
    The thing is this, he has a full beard. His cheeks and neck are shaved, but I have never seen him with less than a couple days stubble. So I don't know when exactly he is doing his razor shaving, but it appears to me, he shaves his non-beardy areas with an electric's trimmer attachment. As I used to do the same thing, I know what it looks like. I am pretty sure he is claiming he uses a straight razor because he thinks it is cool.

Karl G likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Here's a number of simple questions to ask him (in conversion; not as an interrogation:D):

"What kind of grind do you prefer?" :eek: (this one will usually stump a non-user) full-hollow, half-hollow, near wedge..etc….
    "What type of point do you use or prefer?" :confused:
    "what type of steel is it made from?" :confused:
    "How often do you strop?" :confused:
    "How often do you hone your razor?" :confused:

11. Mr. Droid

Mr. Droid Well-Known Member

I think I am going to do this. That is excellent advice. And potentially hilarious.

Brian_1973, Jayaruh and Karl G like this.
  12. js98367

js98367 New Member

Gun safety is based on muzzle control. Straight razor safety is based on cutting edge control. Slow. Deliberate. Safe. And, never try to catch a falling razor.

13. Single Malt Whiskers

Single Malt Whiskers Active Member

This is the thread that brought me to TSD, so firstly thanks for that :) but also thanks for the great safety tips! I'm really into cooking and the same rules apply to kitchen knife safety. The only time I've ever cut myself in the kitchen (if only that were true in the bathroom...) was when I was rushed and my mind was elsewhere. Keep your knives/razor AND your mind sharp! Both are essential for safety!

Brian_1973, Karl G and JoeB like this.
  14. Straight razor dandy

Straight razor dandy Stuck cleaning the house himself PERMANENTLY

GREAT advice. Ironically, I read a thread recently where the OP asked everyone if they shaved naked, with underwear, shorts, etc. It scared the crap out of me. Why the heck would you shave naked with a SR???? What do you think is going to happen if the SR slips and falls??? I have a very special "member" of the family which I take great pride in , and I would be devasted to lose him.

Wear underwear or shorts, people. You "little man" will thank you, as will your wife or gf and your potential future children.

Brian_1973, Karl G and Keithmax like this.
  15. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

My little man likes to watch.

Drygulch, Tdmsu, Keithmax and 2 others like this.
  16. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

:happy102:

Robyflexx and mrchick like this.
  17. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

:happy097:

mrchick likes this.
  18. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Another SR safety tip -- always make sure to defog your mirror! Just like the windshield of a car, good visibility is essential.

Robyflexx likes this.
  19. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

[​IMG]
    No problem

Jayaruh and Robyflexx like this.
  20. Rusty blade

Rusty blade The Good Humor Man

Cold water shave is one thing...but cold water shower?

Keithmax, mrchick and Robyflexx like this.