Straight Razor Safety (Newbies Please Read)

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by JoeB, May 5, 2014.

1. I am very new to SR shaving but if I can offer some advice, as a beginner, it would be (this has certainly aided me in my experience thus far), just spending a little while before the blade goes anywhere near your skin holding the razor in the grip you intend to use. Just to become familiar with how holding a razor feels. This very much applies also to kitchen knives. Simply becoming as familiar with an object as possible is a key thing for using that object safely. By familiar, I don't mean careless, of course. Never, ever, forget that you're holding an extremely sharp blade, that fact should always be at the very least on the back of your mind when handling a straight razor.

Karl G and ob1page like this.
  2. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Thanks for the information in this thread. I finally got around to reading it. It has given me the desire to learn the art of SR shaving.

Billyfergie, Spyder, Karl G and 3 others like this.
  3. 2hot 2trot

2hot 2trot Active Member

A fantastic informative thread.

I am intrigued to learn the art of SE shaving but first I must conquer the DE shave.

Karl G, mrchick and Jayaruh like this.
  4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This section is about SR(Straight Razor), shaving. SR shaving is definitely more fun than SE(Single Edge) shaving and DE(Double Edge). Shaving. It takes leaps and bounds more skill to SR shave.

Billyfergie, mrchick and Karl G like this.
  5. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Start with an injector would be my recommendation, skip the DEs, move onto the lather catchers and wedge blades and before you know it you'll be back here after a nice journey. :happy036:

Billyfergie, twhite and DaltonGang like this.
  6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Ain't dat da truth.. :D.

twhite and DaltonGang like this.
  7. Mike-R41

Mike-R41 Well-Known Member

I’m very new to straight razors. When you buy stuff from Phoenix Artisan Accoutrements they give you a “do not disturb sign” “ epic Shave in Progress “ that I sometimes hang on the door knob lol

Brian_1973, Karl G and Steve56 like this.