straights: only suitable for longer stubble?

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Grick, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Grick

Grick Active Member

Having been disappointed with a shavette shave a few years ago, I gave it another go today, using the Bluebeards Revenge shavette with a Supermax blade. Though I didn't cut myself, the shave was awkward and I didn't like how much resistance my stubble gave to the blade making it hard for me to keep the shavette steady. Was it because I have yet to master the shavette or was it because my two-day stubble are too stiff? I have no problems getting a bbs shave using a safety on stiff stubble.
    Do I need to let the stubble grow for another few days so that they become softer and easier to cut? Watching Geofatboy's videos, I realize he always shaves a four or five day beard. I wonder how his shave would go if he shaved daily with a straight. What are your experiences?

Keithmax and Billyfergie like this.
  2. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I don't find having longer stubble (2-3 day growth) any easier to shave than if I were to shave everyday with a straight razor (which, by the way, is exactly what I do).
    Using either a shavette or straight razor to get a good quality takes some investment of time, which means regular use for consecutive days in order to develop the proper technique. Many find the standard straight razor somewhat easier to use than the shavette. One benefit of the shavette is convenience which unlike SRs, one doesnt need to bother with razor edge maintenance.
    Whichever razor style you decide to use, you should be able to get smooth, efficient shaves no matter the length of your whiskers. All it requires is practice.

JazzDoc, Keithmax, DaltonGang and 3 others like this.
  3. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

I do find it easier to shave and easier to get a great shave if I skip a day. This holds true for DE, SE and straights (no experience on shavetttes).

4. Grick

Grick Active Member

Could also be that the Supermax is not sharp enough. It's the smoothest one in my collection and works great on the Futur. But maybe I need something with more bite on the shavette. My Derby Premium should arrive shortly.

5. Grick

Grick Active Member

Ditto. The longer my stubble, the easier the shave.

6. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I just whacked several days worth with a straight , easy peasey. Much easier with a straight vs any other shaving tool.

Sha Bette/ straight takes several months to master. Don't base your sub par shaves on a few attempts :)

Keithmax, DaltonGang and Billyfergie like this.
  7. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

I do not find any difference between day one and day four. A straight cannot clog, so the length of the hair really doesn't make a difference to me.

I think you just need to spend more time with your razor. A good rule of thumb is that it takes one hundred shaves to achieve a basic level of mastery. I too was a shaver that started with shavettes. I would say it took me 35-40 shaves before I was getting good, quality, comfortable shaves on a regular basis. By 50 I had switched pretty much completely over to straights. By the time I hit a hundred, I was completely comfortable, but I was still learning little tricks. It sounds like a lot of shaves, but it really is only a few months.

Keithmax, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  8. mikewood

mikewood Well-Known Member

So here is a different suggestion. Shave one pass with a DE before picking up your shavette and shaving.

The shavette will give you a very close shave and you can shave with it every day but it has a pretty steep learning curve. By taking your first pass with a razor you know you knock of about 75% of the stubble and that allows the shavette to glide over your skin almost effortlessly during the second pass. That will let uou focus on your technique instead of worrying about the blade catching, skipping or stuttering which can all lead to a nick.

If you really want to learn this you have to commit to it for a month or three every day. It's not an easy skill. You need the practice and commitment of learning to get good at it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

A Properly Honed Traditional SR will Handle ANY Stubble..Mine is Like Cast Iron Barbed Wire..Oh My..Those Poor Birds Faces..:happy097:

Billy..:chores016:

JazzDoc, alpla444, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  10. Grick

Grick Active Member

Thanks for the input. I think the best way is to focus on the cheeks first. Once I get the hang of shaving them with and against the grain, I'm gonna move on to the neck area.

11. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Exactly. But, once your hands are steady with the cheeks, move to the neck asap, and try straight shaving every day, not just weekends. You can do the chin area, small strokes at a time. This area tends to give people the most problems. Also, there is no shame in touching areas up, with a DE, or a SE razor.

Keithmax, Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  12. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I agree. :happy088:

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  13. Billyfergie

[​IMG]
    :rofl:

Billy..:chores016:

Keithmax, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Let me clarify. "When you are learning".

15. Billyfergie

[​IMG]

Keithmax, Spyder and mrchick like this.
  16. DaltonGang

:eatdrink047:

Spyder and Billyfergie like this.
  17. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

When I started shaving with straights I started with just my cheeks and then each shave I went a little farther doing the finishing with a DE. It took about 1-2 months before I did the whole shave with a straight.

It took about 100 shaves to become proficient and consistent. I find that using straights is the most kind to my skin, plus it is just plain bad ###. Go for it and before you know you will master it.

Me too

18. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

Same here.

19. alpla444

alpla444 That's sweet!

Billyfergie likes this.
  20. dangermouse

dangermouse Well-Known Member

I find that I struggle a little with my full hollow ground straight razor. I think it's because the blade is thin and flexible. Perhaps this is the issue your having with the shavette; your description of disliking how much resistance your stubble gives the blade very much describes my experience. However, my full wedge straight razor is heavier and less flexible and I find it to be a joy to use. The difference is night and day but it maybe just that I need more experience with the full hollow ground razor.

Spyder, Keithmax, mrchick and 3 others like this.