Strop and Paste Questions

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Somedude, Aug 5, 2020.

1. Somedude

Somedude New Member

Hello,

I'm preparing to begin straight razor shaving. Few questions if you all don't mind:

1) How often should strop paste be applied to the strop? Is it in between every shave?

2) I plan on getting an Illinois strop. Do you apply the paste to the linen as well as the leather side?

3) I was planning on buying GBS 22ML single leather stop dressing. Is this all you need paste wise? Should I get something else for the linen side of the Illinois stop?

4) Should the above conditioning be done before the first use of the strop? I know it must be cleaned first with rubbing alcohol and sandpaper if not mistake.

5) I plan on buying a Dovo straight razor. Before the first use, should it be stropped?

Thanks all and best.

2. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Can't answer all your questions, but regarding #5, no, it does not need to be stropped before first use. If new, it does need to be sharpened by a professional like @gssixgun before first use.

Frijolero likes this.
  3. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    #1 I re-paste with CrOx,,,,, NOT the one most people use,,, about every 500 razors Paste should be the most pure you can attain

DO NOT PASTE YOUR EVERYDAY STROP just DONT !!!!!

#2 I recommend the #127 or the #827 same strop different finish and draw... NO Paste is recommended on it at all

127 = Fast Light Draw
    827 = Med Heavy Draw

#3 I have no clue what that even is

#4 NOoooooooooooooo Just NO !!! Rub the strop with the heel of you hand every time before you use it, nothing more for at least 6 months, probably the life of the strop

#5 The chances of a Dovo being Shave Ready from the factory is pretty low.... Stropping is probably not going too solve that issue

4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Eh...yeah, regarding #4. A strop only needs to be sanded down if that's the only way to restore the surface, so only applies to very vintage or mistreated strops.

I can't fathom any situation where a person would put rubbing alcohol on a strop.

Frijolero and gssixgun like this.
  5. Somedude

Somedude New Member

My Dovo and Illinois strop came in but haven't used them yet. I am purchasing the Norton 3000/8000 block which will arrive tomorrow to hone/sharpen. Should it be soaked in water for 15 minutes before use?

Frijolero likes this.
  6. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

Just to clarify BEFORE I give you the wrong advice

Norton makes a 4/8 if this is what you bought then YES the hone needs to be soaked at least 15 minutes the 4k is rather thirsty the 8k is not but you soak the whole thing

If is is NOT a Norton 4/8 then this advice may or may not apply, we would need more info
    I have a couple of Norton vids on my channel

This is a pretty old one

ps: Strop the razor and try a shave FIRST that way you know where you are starting at

THIS !!!!

Last edited: Aug 31, 2020
  7. Somedude

Somedude New Member

Its the 4k/8k. Should be coming in today. In the meantime I'll check out the vid.

Edison Carter and Frijolero like this.
  8. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    You might watch this too a different approach

Edison Carter likes this.
  9. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    This is another with a different approach

I am only Killing the edge for a part of the JaNorton challenge, you do NOT need to do the same

10. I've just purchased a new leather strop. However it has a raised imperfection on it. Should I send it back? It is pretty close to the end.

[​IMG]

11. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Depends on how long your draw is, how much of the strop you use. My draw, or stroke, is only 12-13 inches. Useable stropping area on my strop is 17 inches. I strop on the middle section of that, so I have 2-3 inches on each end of the useable area where the blade never touches. If the blemish is outside your stropping area, you're fine. If you are one who uses the entire length of the strop, maybe send it back. All depends on what you're willing to live with.

12. Thanks [mention]swarden43 [/mention] Is it possible to remove? Could I use a sharp blade to slice it off?

13. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Call me Steve.

Sure, I guess you could slice it off. How steady is your hand?
    Two things come to mind with that, though:
    1) It will probably leave a light mark unless the dye was able to penetrate pretty deep
    B) If you mess it up, you can't return the strop.

Okay, 3 things:
    III) If you slip, you wind up with a nasty gouge in your strop. And, again, you can't send it back.

I'd use a butter knife and determine how long your stroke is and how much of the strop you're using. If you're not reaching that blemish, I'd leave it and live with it.

Simon Smailus and Edison Carter like this.