strop

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by Robert1955, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Robert1955

Robert1955 Well-Known Member

Is a paddle strop ok for SR's ?, what should be on the other side... I would like to use a chromium paste or something but should I get one with a canvas underside or a heavy cotton , or something completly different.
    Maybe a rawhide ?...this is all new to me, I bought a antique razor and already I think it might be too big for a noob, it is a 3/4" solingen :O

Keithmax and Karl G like this.
  2. CastleShave

CastleShave Well-Known Member

It sounds like your new to this, I would stay away from the Chromium Oxide until you are comfortable with stropping in general. If misused you can roll your edge pretty good. My preference is more hanging strops but a paddle will do you just as good with a nice linen backing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Keithmax, Robert1955 and Karl G like this.
  3. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

I’ve always used a paddle. One side is rough leather and it can be interchanged via a magnetic pad with heavy felt ones that I use with pastes. Works great. :happy088:

Keithmax, gssixgun and Robert1955 like this.
  4. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    I have to agree with Karl a nice flat surface

A "Bench Strop" IMHO is actually the best way to apply most any paste, they allow for a distinct stroke that becomes VERY effective

That being said my very first "Pasted Strop was a TI double-sided paddle with Dovo Black and Red

I used to make and sell them in days gone by,, and I made this vid about how they work for Teaching the proper flip, and how they work for pastes

5. Robert1955

Great wee vid...well done ;-)

Karl G likes this.
  6. Leclec13

Leclec13 Well-Known Member

If it’s your first strop get an inexpensive one to use at first, You will inevitably nick it.

I don’t necessarily think 3/4 inch is too big. I have a range of blade widths and like them all they all have a bit different “personality”.

+1 on what gssixgun said.... he is a pro / guro. I have both but prefer bench/ paddle strop

gssixgun and Robert1955 like this.
  7. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

I also used paddle strops. Leather on both sides and you cap CrOx to leather.

gssixgun and Edison Carter like this.
  8. Robert1955

Just been going through Glen's videos...superb work and info...top drawer.

Karl G, gssixgun and Edison Carter like this.
  9. Lee Russell

Lee Russell Member

WOW! great informative video Thanks for sharing @gssixgun

Karl G and gssixgun like this.