Stub Tail Razors(Stub Tail Club)

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Come on guys! I'm in a NB17 and you're not helping. I want one!
    :angry017::angry017::angry017::angry017:

2. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

From the info Billy just supplied and the pictures kevin posted. You may be looking 1816-1835.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

It's a full wedge, if that means anything.

Depends on what you think it is worthy of. It has a chip in the pivot end of the scales, on one side, other than that, it just needs some new collars, pins, and a little TLC. The scales look like possibly pretty thick horn material, definitely solid looking.

4. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I vote for giving it the best loving you can. Go ahead and make new scales for it from horn. Try to keep the original shape. That will be a great 200 year old razor.

If you don't want it i will relieve you of it.

Tom

5. DaltonGang

I guess I will have to find some material, and learn how to make scales. Looks like a project about to start.

6. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Maggards sells horn blank material for $10.

If you copy the existing scales. It is super easy to make them. I am planning on making some scales for my GD. I will take pictures of how I do it. It will give me something productive to do this weekend.

Tom

7. DaltonGang

I will look into it, thanks Tom. I already have some various collars and pins.

8. Jim99

Jim99 Gold Water Shaver

Tom, we want a detailed tutorial.

9. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

I will do my best.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Horn works and shapes easily, BUT it can have an tendency to warp— which can be a pain.

New honey horn scales on this old Wosty frame back...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

PLANofMAN, Enrico, M14Shooter and 7 others like this.
  11. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Yes, those are some sweet looking scales. Great work.

Tom

12. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

There's the close ups. Looks like a nice razor with lots of potential. I'm glad I was still on NB17 when you bought this. It was on my watch list, but I didn't bid because I was being good. It would have been a bummer to have been bidding against you. Now I get to live vicariously and watch you restore it. Nice catch!

Billyfergie, Karl G, twhite and 2 others like this.
  13. DaltonGang

I spent a lot of time with the 180 grit sandpaper today. The steel in this blade is pretty tough. I managed to get it to a tolerable finish. Worlds of difference from before. I also thought about the broken off scale tip, and came up with a little solution. It is pretty thick horn, and I didn't want to waste it, or spend the time making some more scales. Tell be what you think.

After a little work. I haven't polished out the scales yet, and I am open to some more blade work, possibly.
    W.Greaves & Sons
    W.GREAVES AFTER.JPG
    W GREAVES AFTER.JPG

Enrico, RezDog, mrchick and 3 others like this.
  14. DaltonGang

Before:

W.Greaves & Sons
    W.GREAVES BEFORE.JPG
    W GREAVES BEFORE.JPG

Enrico, mrchick, Billyfergie and 2 others like this.
  15. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Billyfergie, twhite and DaltonGang like this.
  16. DaltonGang

Thanks. Like I said, I'm not finished yet. I still haven't honed it yet.

Billyfergie and twhite like this.
  17. DaltonGang

New addition to the Stub Tail Club.
    This arrived today. Unknown maker, and it just says "Silver Steel"
    It might be a Regrind, but it looks pretty good for a regrind. It's a 1/2 Hollow blade.
    P1251478.JPG

Enrico, M14Shooter, TestDepth and 2 others like this.
  18. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

Permission to join the club. A Roberts marked cast steel on the spine. A Clark & Hall that has held up nice. An Allison that has the Royal Cypher Of King George III. As a bonus is came in a W&B coffin

IMG_0884.JPG IMG_0886.JPG B2E0927B-8D43-4443-85AD-B63A57DD9D0E-27263-00001411DD0C1F97.jpeg 629565AC-B5EC-404B-869C-F6C2FC7ED223-27263-000014157E6ABE3C.jpeg IMG_1245.JPG 4F90BEA1-FF93-4C61-AA84-65ACCAB61538-27263-00001417FEE27038.jpeg

Attached Files:

Enrico, mrchick, Keithmax and 5 others like this.
  19. DaltonGang

20. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

The Roberts, guessing by the shoulder is between 1790 and 1810. The Clark & Hall SR were made between 1797-1823. Guessing by the grind and shoulder it is early 1800's. The Allison is before 1820 which is when George died. I will clean and hone the C&H one day, but I have too many already on my work table