Stub Tail Razors(Stub Tail Club)

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Feb 21, 2017.

1. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

Seeing this thread made me want to touch up and break out my Old Lady. Not sure of the dating, guessing it’s late 1700s/early 1800s. The marks appear to be symbols of some type rather than letters. Of course, the distinctive part is the no tail. :)

Here she is.

Old Lady Wedge.jpeg

Happy shaving - Karl

jgreenepa, Enrico, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Looks like an oldie. I'm with you on the possible age, but I know nothing on the symbols stamped on the tang.

jgreenepa and Spyder like this.
  3. Nicole

Nicole New Member

Any idea on the date of this razor? It came with the case. 6 1/4". No markings.

Attached Files:

jgreenepa, PLANofMAN and Keithmax like this.
  4. DaltonGang

I've got nothing for you. It looks a little homemade. Are you sure it's a Stubtail? Can you show close-ups and a look at the tang??

jgreenepa likes this.
  5. RezDog

RezDog Well-Known Member

@KarlG
    The no tail to me indicates a French origin. It is likely still in that date range.

jgreenepa and Karl G like this.
  6. Karl G

Karl G Well-Known Member

You’re right on. It was won on French ebay. :happy088:

jgreenepa and RezDog like this.
  7. Timwcic

Timwcic Well-Known Member

From this weekends flea market, a Roberts Stub joined my den to keep a I-Barber from getting lonely. Both are scaled in horn with lead. I never figured out it the I-Barber is a John Barber counterfeit, from maker Isaac Barber, or both. Whichever it may be, it is a Shoulderless wedge grind. The Roberts is a typical early grind with a slight shoulder

96BED7B6-20C6-4468-A6B2-0DA42EC6D1A4.jpeg 44F7897D-0C45-4746-B6F6-53AB4B2F6DCE.jpeg 72BF6753-844C-4F37-9EB2-98C6099DACA5.jpeg

8. SolingerStahl

SolingerStahl Well-Known Member

Here is one of my oldest stubtails, recently arrived from France and still under work by my blacksmith tightening the head pin...
    The adress is badly faded out, so I guess the headline should read "ALAIN (or Romain) REMAN (or Remany) while the lower line seems to show the city and street ending with xxxxN 300.
    Far left seems to have been an Iron Cross or Gothic Cross. If the P on the scales have anything to do with the maker is another question.
    If anyone has a clue of the maker, I would appreciate to hear from.

REMAN,ALAIN xxxxxxN300 5-8 SQ Horn a.jpg

REMAN,ALAIN xxxxxxN300 5-8 SQ Horn a1.jpg

Greetings from Solingen
    Rainer

9. Dmakso

Dmakso New Member

Unexpectedly got this beauty.
    Stamp is Shepherd Warranted. Should be 1780-s. Very good condition. Needs some cleaning, polishing and honing.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

DaltonGang, jgreenepa and TestDepth like this.
  10. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

This stubby dates to about 1815. It was a NOS blade that had never been honed or scaled! Glen (@gssixgun), magician that he is, brought it back to life with bone scales, an amber wedge, and custom period beehive washers. It is an 8/8 and was imported from Sheffield by the mercantile firm of Ellis & Allan. Jonathan Allan, one of the two partners in the firm was the stepfather of Edgar Allan Poe. Ellis&Allan dissolved in the early 1820’s, a victim of the panic of 1819. Here are Glen’s photos. The first is of the original unfinished NOS blade unhoned and then honed below.
    99396304-7A56-4F82-99F2-57368A1EC51D.jpeg
    734FE274-910F-43B5-9C58-7077E67D67AA.jpeg
    Here’s the finished product below. It’s one big chunk of stubby steel!
    DC128A29-ECBF-4966-BE9E-C2578F8B6682.jpeg
    BC5D0E75-A936-49FB-A522-B3B50E71834C.jpeg

Last edited: May 13, 2022
    Karl G and TestDepth like this.
  11. DaltonGang

This one is in great shape, for the age. Well done. :happy088::happy088:

Karl G, Dmakso and jgreenepa like this.
  12. DaltonGang

Glen does beautiful work. This is a showpiece now.

Karl G and jgreenepa like this.
  13. jgreenepa

jgreenepa Nasal Barbarian

Thanks, Scott! It really is!

Karl G likes this.
  14. Dmakso

Dmakso New Member

Razor is cleaned, polished and honed on Naniwa 1,3,8 and 12K. It could be better polished, but I did not want to remove much of material.
    Shaves very well. Almost BBS in two passes. Almost, because i was a little afraid using this shape of razor for the first time.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Karl G, mrchick, TestDepth and 2 others like this.