Stubborn Pins

Discussion in 'Razor Restoration' started by gssixgun, Jul 9, 2022.

1. gssixgun

gssixgun At this point in time...

Supporting Vendor
    When you REALLY don't want to crack the scales

[​IMG]

When you REALLY REALLY don't want to crack the scales

[​IMG]

Enrico, TestDepth, PLANofMAN and 4 others like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I usually go under. Between the scales and the tang. They make blades much much smaller than the one you used in the photo. Some pins are flush with the scales, and snipping, filing, or cutting, from the outside of the scales, is impossible. The small thin blades snap easier, but they are also cheap. I usually snap one per razor. Its usually caused by too much pressure.

3. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor
    Yep so do I

This is a double Butterfly razor so I couldn't cut from the inside this time, I have no intention of saving the scales to use again, I want to see how the action functions for the double razor..
    They pulled some cute tricks at the wedge end too that I want to save and see..

Those old farts knew their stuff, I try and learn from them

TestDepth and DaltonGang like this.
  4. mrchick

mrchick Odd, Terrible Avatar

I would love to see more of that razor Glen.

5. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Double butterfly razor? Is that a technical term, or just what you call it? Any variation of 'double' 'twin' 'butterfly' and 'straight razor' results in Google spitting either TTO razors or shavettes at me.

It's been ages since I've seen a double bladed straight razor. Edit: that search term also spits back gibberish, FYI.

6. gssixgun

Supporting Vendor

Honestly I have no clue, I believe I saw Butterfly used on SRP..

It doesn't surprise me that the razors are not represented well on any of the search engines, they are rather rare and really didn't last long as an idea..

@mrchick ,, I will post some more pics when it comes apart :)

mrchick likes this.
  7. DaltonGang

I see them for sale on ebay USA and ebay France every once and a while. Usually they are in rough shape, with corrosion, and command high prices. I believe they are more of a travel razor.

8. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Very interested to see what you see. I have one, but haven’t done anything with it.

@PLANofMAN, try “Papillon straight razor” for a couple of interesting thoughts on the origins. Early 1800’s.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  9. DaltonGang

Try this, on ebay France
    Type
    Papillon Coupe Choux

gssixgun and PLANofMAN like this.