Stuck in a rut...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Sabre, Mar 2, 2016.

1. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

Phrase of the day... things get serious when you're too serious about things.

2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

And you doubt this because....?

MarshalArtist and Robyflexx like this.
  3. gregkw1

Guys guys relax you guys are starting to get me into a depression. He just has to mix things up a little bit get out try and meet a nice girl I met my dream girl on match.com lots of quality women out there he just needs a little change of pace little bit more excitement listening to those people the doctors and the speakers would only make me more depressed.
    I've been there and done that many times in my life. I've been around many people with CD and no CD. CD takes time to become serious. Let's not take this any further down his road. We have to cheer him up not get him deeper.

Paul Turner likes this.
  4. gregkw1

Hey let's start a quote of the day!

5. RyX

RyX DoH!

I've built homes that folks still occupy, furniture that is still used, repaired tools and vehicles still in use. My mind is trained to have an x-ray view of things. My body complains when I try to do these things, but it's who I am.
    It's an unfinished interest you might re-explore.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
    Robyflexx likes this.
  6. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Is this your next PIF?

PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  7. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I really would like to do that. I would like to travel from Provence in France to Venice in Italy. Unfortunately I need a companion who can drive, and my Father is not very well. In the future maybe...

BigMike and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I have a girlfriend, but I don't know for how much longer. She is always busy with work and friends. She spends more time saying she is with friends and can't talk than replying to the original question of do you want to this or that at the weekend. We don't live together.

BigMike and Robyflexx like this.
  9. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I did mention this to my Doctor, I have been given a website to look at. I haven't built up the motivation to look at it yet, yes I know....

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

I am not in despair, ready to end it all. I am just bored, and can't seem to get motivated. Life, the universe and everything is just monotonous...

Robyflexx likes this.
  11. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

I can understand where you're coming from, and I've actually read A LOT on the subject over the past couple of years. I would say, first and foremost, reject passivity. Act. Change things up. You can decide to do that. I'm not saying it's easy, but it is simple. Take a different route to work. Start getting up and going to bed an hour earlier (or later) than normal. Buy 3 new shave soaps and alternate them DAILY. Start a new book, something you normally wouldn't read. If you normally eat with your fork in your right hand, try moving it to your left hand for a while. If you noramlly drink coffee, switch to tea for a while. It seems silly, but sometimes it helps.

I've really enjoyed reading through the Art Of Manliness website. I find his articles fascinating, and most of them are very relevant to this type of men's issue, which is becoming more and more common. When life isn't very interesting, there's a few common issues that are generally contributors.
    -Health. Regular exercise, a healthy diet, and adequate sleep go a lot further in addressing these sorts of issues than most people think. Bret McKay actually argues that if you aren't doing all three, you aren't even trying to address your problem.
    -Margin - Your life is far too full of repetitive activities and leaves no room for mixing it up with new things
    -Purpose/Meaning. I've read that purpose is the intersection of Your talents/gifts and other peoples' needs. There are a whole slew of obstacles to purpose in our lives, but the big ones are not using our gifts, not cultivating mastery in anything, and not using our skills to the benefit of others.

RyX, BigMike, Bussemand and 4 others like this.
  12. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

Go to the website, and stop with the mobile. It means us Tapatalk etc users dont get to see what it means, we just have to assume the person in question is offering a sentiment.

In the case of Roby, you can assume it is positive.

BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  13. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Wonderful post Garrett and full of meaningful helpful advise, much of which I have found helpful in my own life during troubled times. :)

BigCabDaddy and gwsmallwood like this.
  14. MarshalArtist

MarshalArtist Psychiatric Help 5¢

How do you know this is all he needs? Your post demonstrates your lack of understanding about depression. People with depression do not just cheer up. We need to support him in getting help if he needs.
    I don't think you have the information you need to make that determination.

youngunn, BigCabDaddy and Robyflexx like this.
  15. preidy

preidy Just call me Dino

You are not the lone ranger. Many of us have or will go through it. Most of us survive and carry on. Hopfully you have a close friend or family to confide. Look/think before you leap. Don't make any rash decisions. Hang in there.

16. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Agree 100%!

youngunn and BigCabDaddy like this.
  17. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Women like romance and adventure, also spontaneity. Go to the movies, theatre, a hot air balloon ride, sky diving, anything. Make her laugh. Send her flowers at work. Cook together. Go to the zoo or public gardens. If you have Roller Derby leagues around, go see a bout.

@Sabre I hate to say it, but you sound like an appallingly boring person to be around...but you already know that. ;)

Robyflexx likes this.
  18. gregkw1

#1 It's clear you did not read his last posts. #2 my wife before we met tried to commit suicide twice. She's got 2 scars on her wrists that would blow your mind. She's been on antidepressants for years. After we met I have turned her life around to where she's almost off her meds completely. Every now and then she has an issue and I take care of it without doctors or motivators or anyone else. So do me a favor before you tell someone you don't know.... "I don't think you...." stop and think about what you say.

19. Darkbulb

Darkbulb Cookie Hoarder

I've found that women for some odd reason gets more interested in you the more you have a 'life of your own'. So, maybe allow her some space and pursue some other interests that might actually conflict with seeing her sometimes might work to your benefit :)

Then again, I'm single so what do I know :D

20. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Strangely I didn't :(. I have tried spontaneity and it has fallen through adding to my feeling that everything is tedious ...

PLANofMAN likes this.