Stuck in a rut...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Sabre, Mar 2, 2016.

1. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

What I see on this thread is a bunch of guys who care. Depression can have many causes and forms, from thyroid malfunction to actual mental illness. @MarshalArtist appears to be exercising an "abundance of care" by suggesting professional evaluation and help. He is simply erring to the side of caution. The tricky thing is that sometimes depressed people withdraw and minimize the expression of their emotion, making it hard for another person to gauge the situation. He is not judging anyone or insisting that western psych medicine is the only solution. He is simply pointing out that real clinical depression is a very serious event, even terminal for some.

Get checked out, even if it's just a general MD. Outside eyes can be useful.

Get healthy. Eat, sleep and drink the correct way.

Exercise. Work is good for the soul.

If the three things above don't help, talking to a pro is a logical next step. This is a serious topic, regardless of the Ops actual condition, and love and concern are never cause for conflict.

Just my $0.02.

RyX, youngunn, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  2. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

During the holiday period, I had booked a lunch on a Pullman car with a nearby preservation railway - a Santa Special. Kate, my girlfriend was having a WhatsApp fight with a cousin, and was late getting ready. In the end, due to tears ruining her make up she refused to leave. The Pullman car was a surprise, I only had informed her I had made a pre paid booking for lunch. Such is life...

PLANofMAN likes this.
  3. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Who's post are you responding to? If it was mine, I did read all the posts before I posted mine. Sabre is bored, not depressed. What do you think this is, an intervention?
    [​IMG]

Robyflexx and Bama Samurai like this.
  4. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I wonder what shipping would be;)

gwsmallwood likes this.
  5. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

It was not you.

PLANofMAN likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It almost sounds like you need a new girlfriend.

Edit: or that she needs to put the phone down for a bit, anyway, whe n you guys have a date night.

RyX, Robyflexx and Bama Samurai like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Join a kickboxing, grappling or jiu-jitsu dojo. It will make you feel alive when you absorb that first strike, is great for your cardio, and will teach you the limits of your will and ability.

gwsmallwood and Robyflexx like this.
  8. Robyflexx

Robyflexx Broke the Like button

Coming from a mother who has suffered severe emotional, mental, and physical ailments her whole life I agree with you and @MarshalArtist. My mother is now living a fruitful and productive life because she seeked help. Anything whether garden variety depression or clinical must be and should be diagnosed properly by a medical expert. My mom had a couple of suicide attempts before agreeing to seek help. Depression is a very real and sometimes dangerous illness that can be treated with proper care. Seek help please @Sabre your well being is very important. :)

9. Bama Samurai

Yeah.

DaltonGang and Robyflexx like this.
  10. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    [​IMG]
    I prefer Tai Chi. The Wu form has sword exercises.

DaltonGang and Robyflexx like this.
  11. Robyflexx

:happy097:

PLANofMAN likes this.
  12. Bama Samurai

Or any of the arts! Getting moving is the point!

PLANofMAN likes this.
  13. gregkw1

gregkw1 Well-Known Member

I took Korean karate years ago when I was an angry young man. It really taught me alot. 45 years later I have never had to use it. Physically that is.

Bama Samurai likes this.
  14. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Yoga. Women in yoga pants. Women in yoga pants eating ice cream. Ice cream with bacon sprinkles.

Mmm...bacon.

RyX, youngunn, KLF and 3 others like this.
  15. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Something that helps me overcome the doldrums is playing guitar. I played from the age of 12 to 18, then gave it up for a lot of my adult live (kind of like wet shaving). I again picked it back up about 8 years ago. Find a good instructor that can get you playing simple songs (many only require three chords or less!) and putting off the music theory until later. I find the hours I spend very therapeutic and relaxing.
    There are many benefits to playing ; even if you're not that good.

Traditional therapies designed to help with depression are often geared towards the release of emotion and/or the recovery of basic motivation. Music allows a foundational expression of emotion as well as providing an absorbing distraction that is also a useful application of endeavor. The guitar is one of the most expressive instruments and almost certainly the most versatile. It is also easily transportable and highly social. Playing the guitar can lead to greater self-confidence and peer acceptance.

Depression itself can often be the result of 'change'. Music practice helps to counteract the very idea of change by providing a positive, and therefore self-perpetuating, routine.

Robyflexx and Bama Samurai like this.
  16. Sabre

Sabre Well-Known Member

Being a 46 year old diabetic with high blood pressure and a bad back, I think i will give the martial arts recommendations a miss ;) .
    I would imagine even pilates or yoga is beyond me...

Robyflexx likes this.
  17. Robyflexx

Then it's settled you're playing the guitar...we're done here..next!! :happy097:

Spyder likes this.
  18. Bama Samurai

Yoga is good. Bacon too.

Spyder, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  19. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Which brings up another good point. I've actually felt a lot better since giving up Facebook. Something about being a voyeur into the lives (edit, best of the lives) of others is inherently depressing, whether we realize it or not.

Spyder and Robyflexx like this.
  20. subvet

subvet Well-Known Member

Back when I was a decent bowler I decided I "needed" to try some new stuff, total disaster, similar experience on the golf course. When I applied the need for new stuff to shaving it resulted in a drawer full of useless or at least poor performing razors, blades, brushes, soaps and aftershaves. Now I'm content with what just works day after day, not the least bit boring and a heck of a lot cheaper.

Robyflexx likes this.