Stuck in a rut...

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Sabre, Mar 2, 2016.

1. KLF

KLF Doctorin

Actually pilates can make wonders for back pains, from experience. Try therapeutic pilates and you're set.

I'm no expert about depression or not but I know this type of thinking, when it seems like everything is working against you and every effort you make looks futile. It's very easy to fall into the trap and pitty yourself to totally inertia. Maybe you should change GF or maybe focus on just one aspect of your life you want to change. Work towards that goal and when achieved move to another...hope that helps you.

PLANofMAN, Bama Samurai and Robyflexx like this.
  2. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Stop being passive, in the way your girlfriend treats you, unless your a masochist. If you don't like how she is treating you, ditch her. There are plenty of women out there.
    I have heard some very good advise from many here. Even if we don't know squat about exactly what you are going through, just what you have been willing to share. The good advice I've heard are, in no certain order. Some of my advice is tossed in too.
    Seek advise from a Doctor. A good blood work up is a must. Check your testosterone levels too.
    Exercise. It helps you feel better, and gets your hormones flowing. You can meet some very nice women at the gym, or just look at them.
    Change your routine. Cloths, food, shave equipment, or hobbies.
    Less internet, or TV. Go out and do things, don't be a watcher, be a doer.
    Stay away from psychotherapy, unless you really are clinically depressed. If this is the route, choose carefully. I've known many, and a lot are screwed up themselves.

youngunn likes this.
  3. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

So I didnt read through all 5 pages but there is some great advice in here...I will say a big one is excersise....what ever that means, if its going out on a walk, riding a bike, playing golf,etc...find ANOTHER hobby (sounds like you like to make things), it may be time to finish up that violin...try to appreciate the small things in life (we wake up in the morning, take a few steps and have hot water or a cup of coffee)...but, be careful that you dont stay in this rut and seek professional help (we all need help MULTIPLE times in life)....and lastly, my grandmother (a tiny little italian lady fresh off the boat) use to tell me to SMILE, because even if your having a bad day, that smile will tend to cause others to smile, which makes you smile...good luck my friend

Sabre, PLANofMAN and Robyflexx like this.
  4. Dzia Dzia

Dzia Dzia Entitled to whine

Sounds like a good time to look inside and discovere who, "You" really are. What do you want out of life, now; five years from now; ten years down the road? What road map do you have for the journey? How close do you follow the standards you set for yourself? What do you want your life to mean?

After a divorce I took five years to live pretty much by myself. I learned who I am, what I want my life to mean, and the road to get there. I dated rarely and only women I knew well. I also had five years to observe the opposite sex and discovered the woman to whom I am married for 23 years.

So hang in there my friend. Find out who "YOU" are. Find direction. Only you can make you happy and fulfilled.

The people around here will always listen and do what they can to keep you grounded.

... To be continued...
    wine-3.GIF
    Don

5. Bussemand

Bussemand Well-Known Member

Having suffered with bouts of depression and anxiety for the last 9 years, it doesn't sound as if that is your problem. Well, lack of motivation is a big part of it, but usually that comes from the idea that "if I don't do this thing, I wont fail". Everything becomes an uphill battle (e.g. it has taken me at least 20 minutes to write this) - Calling someone takes me a couple of cigarettes to get ready, or maybe, yeah I'll just call them tomorrow... The only times I feel relaxed is when I use my shaving gear and any excitement comes from online shopping and opening packages - Not envelopes though. Envelopes can go to hell...
    I'm thinking that maybe a good ol' fashioned existential crisis is your problem?

6. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

7. Morman Bridge

Morman Bridge Well-Known Member

A Can Am? Now I understand your handle! Very cool machine!

Spyder likes this.
  8. BigMike

BigMike Well-Known Member

You might consider a tour. I did an adventure tour in New Zeland once. They drove a dozen of us around and we'd go hiking and kayaking and bungee jumping. I went by myself and had a blast. No driving. I've seen tours geared towards all sorts of different lifestyles and capabilities. REI usually has several, including many in Europe. Good luck!

BigCabDaddy, Robyflexx and Sabre like this.
  9. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Road Scholar(formerly Elderhostel, Inc.)is a great program. That's how I went to the Best Friends Animal Society last March. There's nothing like being around animals to help us put the bad in the past.

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Paul Turner

let me follow-up, BFAS is in southern Utah, near a few National Parks.

11. Paul Turner

Troy M likes this.
  12. Spud

Spud Well-Known Member

Very true. You may be experiencing anhedonia. Some people can be clinically depressed without feeling sad. Some present with only insomnia or a change in eating habits. It wouldn't hurt to get a professional opinion.

Robyflexx likes this.
  13. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I love all this psychoanalysis.
    There could just be a simple explanation.
    I've had a wife, now an ex-wife, that just sucked the fun out of life. Between her self absorbed behavior, and constant berating, life just plain sucked.
    I've now been happily remarried for over 12 years, and am loving life.

KLF, Paul Turner and Spud like this.
  14. Red Rider

Red Rider Well-Known Member

Dude, fine line between stability and boredom. Do something different. Yoga, art or cooking class or travel. I think many of us have been or are in a similar boat. Challenge yourself to try and do something new. Best of luck.
    Feel.jpg

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    Paul Turner likes this.
  15. gzp

gzp Well-Known Member

Lots of ideas and advice, hopefully you'll find something helpful in there.

Echoing those who have mentioned food and diet, a good resource to help get a better idea of how good or bad your diet is can be found on the "World's Healthiest Foods" website. There's a questionnaire (pretty painless) which then calculates and lets you know what nutrients you are most in need of:
    http://whfoods.org/foodadvisor.php

Regarding exercise, anything that gets you moving would help. Short walks are good but if your back allows it, long walks are better. Your back problem does not necessarily exclude you from yoga. In any yoga class, people do what they can and if it hurts, they don't do it. If it's something you might try, you would just let the instructor know before the class starts about your back. This way the instructor knows you are not a slacker and will probably includes instructions to help guide you during the class.

Red Rider and Robyflexx like this.