Stupid Question Corner: How Do I Determine Skin/Whisker Type?

Discussion in 'General Shaving Talk' started by Michael_W, May 1, 2018.

1. John Beeman

John Beeman Little chicken in hot water

Feel free to ask questions; this is one of the purposes of a forum.

I'm not sure how to determine skin and whisker types so I'm not sure why I'm posting.

I'm also not sure on how the terms are to be officially defined but my understanding of coarse vs. fine refers primarily to the diameter of the hair and secondarily to the stiffness of the hair. I assume that coarser (larger diameter) whiskers would also be stiffer but I don't know that you couldn't have large diameter floppy whiskers.

The other two terms I use when referring to hair are thick and thin. Again, I'm not sure how the terms are to be officially defined but my understanding of thick vs. thin refers to density or how many hairs per square inch. If someone says their hair is thinning they usually mean they have fewer follicles.

I surmise that the more follicles I have per square inch (and/or the larger their diameter) would be a determining factor in blade life. I count shaves per blade but I still toss a blade by feel and performance rather than shave count.

Skin sensitivity could take a variety of forms. How sensitive is one person's skin to heat or cold vs. another person's? What about things like sunburn, chemicals, allergies, pain tolerance, elasticity, age, dryness, etc.. My skin is considered fair but I don't sunburn easily while most people with fair skin burn quickly. Considering the number of factors that could possibly be under the umbrella of skin sensitivity, my guess is that you might have to ask the "more or less" question in relation to something more particular rather than something general. For instance, you could be less sensitive to chemical reactions but more sensitive to temperature extremes.

When I was relatively new to wet shaving I found my head full of questions about my new obsession. Early on I thought I had answers to many of the questions but an interesting thing happened as time wore on and I gradually refined my techniques and gained experience. While it was important to be aware of how my beard grew and what products worked well, I realized over time that many elements of wet shaving are very nuanced and it took me a long time to recognize and appreciate the subtleties. Blades that I couldn't get a good shave with early on or soaps that I couldn't seem to lather eventually improved as my time in the saddle increased. The products didn't change but my knowledge and skill had increased.

Keep asking questions (silly or otherwise) and keep shaving, realizing that some questions can be answered immediately and some require time; and some of the immediate answers may change over time.

2. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    This is a very important statement. I, too, when first getting back into traditional wet shaving used to blame the product first. MWF had lanolin, so that's why I got irritation. Personna Lab Blues were an inferior blade, so that's why I got razor burn. And so on and so on. Now I am about 4 1/2 years back and the facts are these: There's not a blade out there with which I cannot get a BBS shave (assuming the blade is not damaged in production). There's not a soap out there, with the exception of those with cinnamon as an ingredient, that my face can't tolerate. There's not a razor that I have ever had in my hand that doesn't perform well enough for a BBS.
    Now, go ahead and ask questions, I did and that's what we're here for. I will never judge anyone for lack of experience, but I GUARANTEE you in 4 years you will have a completely different outlook and opinion on what is what in our hobby.

3. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

OOps....meant to "like" this", which I will, but this is well-said, Siggy. :).

Edison Carter likes this.
  4. Shaver X

Shaver X Well-Known Member

Saying it never will is equally silly, and I know that from experience. Others have posted the same on the forums, so I know it is not just me. The 7 o'clock blades from the Indian grocery store - utter crap in the Merkur 34C, really good in the Edwin Jagger DE89. Gillette Rubie Platinum Plus - good in the EJ DE89, stellar in the Gillette Slim adjustable. And so on.

Correct, and even the best blade and razor combination will give cuts, nicks and terrible irritation without proper technique. I don't disagree with you there at all.

But what you seem to be saying is that all cars with big engines are the same because they have big engines. A Dodge Charger, a Ford Mustang, and a Corvette all have big engines (at least some do), but that does not make them the same. Sure, they all have to be driven using the same skill set, and all will punish poor driving.

Then the solution is simple - don't use those blades. If the problem is the blades, well then problem solved. If the problem is technique, then he won't be able to effectively practice and refine his technique if he is getting cut up all the time.

I don't disagree with that at all. Technique is crucial, and trumps the tools used. And blade hopping at the start is definitely a bad approach. That does not automatically make all blades the same or nearly so. Many are quite similar, but there are also plenty of outliers. Even with great technique, some razor + blade combinations just won't be as good as others.

@Michael_W, you might want to pick up a copy of Leisureguy's Guide to Gourmet Shaving, 7th Edition. It details the approach to developing technique with a give blade (one known to work well), and also describes a method of trying and ranking additional blades once your technique is good. At only $12, it is a valuable and affordable reference. It is also thankfully devoid of the drama and weirdness that sometimes appears on the forums. Best of luck in your wethshaving voyage of discovery!

Michael_W likes this.
  5. jmudrick

jmudrick Type A Man

I'm very much on this side of the "debate". 99% technique, and frankly it doesn't necessarily matter how long you've been shaving, I see experienced DE shavers with garbage technique. I thought my technique was fine a couple years ago and blamed razors and blades... looking back, nope. If you think you need a Futur wide open with only a certain blade for your special whiskers of steel... you've got serious technique issues.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last edited: May 4, 2018
    wchnu, Edison Carter and Primotenore like this.
  6. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

A given blade will cut best at the ideal angle. At a steep enough angle even the sharpest blade will tug and nick. If you are using too steep of an angle, the pool of blades that you find sharp enough shrinks. No one is claiming in this thread that there are no differences between blades. Only that the differences are less important than people think.

But to the original question: I'm not aware of any objective standard. I have no idea how coarse my beard is compared to anyone else's. The only way I know to find out would be feeling other guy's faces, and I'm just not that curious!

7. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's pretty much my position. I don't wish to downplay the importance of technique in wet shaving, because it is indeed quite important in getting a good shave regardless of the razor-blade combination. But there are indeed differences between various brands, some subtle and others not so much, because of differences in the metals used, the coatings applied, and the process of manufacture itself.

For example, I learned that the blades made for Merkur's mustache and eyebrow razor are dull and biting because during the manufacturing process they are broken apart and then wrapped individually in wax paper prior to packaging, which dulls the blade edges considerably. One could perhaps learn the best technique to minimize nicks and irritation when using that blade, but therein lies the rub: should one really have to go to the extra work of coming up with a whole new technique just to get the best out of a poorly-manufactured blade, when there are others far more forgiving and much sharper?

The same standard simply cannot be applied to all blades because of very real, sometimes significant differences in manufacture and quality. Treet Carbon blades are highly rust-prone, so you really do have to be sure to dry them off after each use. Shaving with a rusty-edged blade that rusts more easily because it is not stainless can't be compensated for with technique alone.

Shaver X likes this.
  8. Michael_W

Yeah, the sheer inconsistency among various blades I've used since I began using safeties speaks to the differences in manufacturing. I've been wet shaving for over two years and am coming up on my one-year anniversary for safeties. But when I first began shaving twenty years ago, it was with a shavette and I never really forgot how to use that since it really needed excellent technique to avoid cuts. So when I started with the safeties, I basically only had to remember to find my angle and optimal pressure.

Most of the blade brands I've used have given nick-free or almost-nick-free shaves with little or no irritation. Most have given me five or six shaves before I replaced them, and I hadn't even waited for them to start pulling and tugging. Only three brands—Feather, Dorco Prime Platinum, and VDH—have seriously nicked me and left me irritated. The rest were pretty much smooth sailing, so to speak. I will look into that guide. Thanks for the link!

Shaver X likes this.
  9. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Please forgive me, but this is really confusing!

Robyflexx likes this.
  10. Michael_W

When I used the shavette, I was using foam from the can. I didn't know better then. I do now.

Shaver X and Edison Carter like this.
  11. Edison Carter

Interesting.

I have found that shaving soaps/creams containing animal fats to give superior residual slickness giving that 'quick second stroke' protection. I have a couple tubs of TOBS and others that smell great but are lacking that residual slickness. Since I have found advocates here of Barbasol, I chose to try some for myself. Surprisingly, I found it to provide superior protection to creams I use when a little water us added. I'm no longer so quick to 'dis the canned goo'.

12. Edison Carter

My wife is a licensed barber. In order to pass a board exam they must deliver a shave to pass a cotton ball swipe with no pulled fibers. She used my ugly mug for her board exam. And they used canned foam to boot.

After mastering the skill necessary to effectively use one of these tools, why would you digress from its use for all the variables to be found in the DE world.

Frijolero and Paul Turner like this.
  13. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

There is not that much difference. And what difference there is does not count for much. Nothing can make a dull blade sharp. But a sharp blade is a sharp blade. Saying one sharp blade will work where another will not is knee deep bull droppings.

Veddy well put. You write better then I do.

It is a lot of fun to use different types of razors. Once you get the technique down the variables really do not matter that much.

Frijolero and Edison Carter like this.
  14. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

The whole point is that with proper technique the little differences with blades and razors do not matter. Saying certain blades cut you and others dont because of how the blade is made is just plain silly. The blades only cut if you allow them. (Again given no damaged equipment)

15. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

That statement on razor and blades is complete bull. I can guarentee with out a doubt that a shaver with solid technuque can get good shaves out of any of those.

On the engine thing we are not comparing different vehicles like that. Even though they look a bit different in practice all razors are pretty much alike. About the same size with about the same gap and so on. So its more the same model with different paint and tint maybe a body kit. Still basically the same.

As to your last point I like it. But even the ones not as good as others do not slice you up just because they are paired together. A shavers lack of skill causes cuts and such....period. Well and lack of attention. (Happens...lol)

16. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Love it when you get tuned up... Bully!!

Edison Carter and Primotenore like this.
  17. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Your wife would be interested to know that I get my haircuts at a barber shop where 3 ladies do the cuttin'. It appears females, too, know what's good for men's hair.

18. PickledNorthern

PickledNorthern Fabulous, the unicorn

So very well put.

19. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thank you Fuzzy. Once in a while I can write a good post. ;)

20. Primotenore

Article Team
    Thank you Jared. The Unicorn Emoji just made my day. Of course, I haven't shaved yet. :) So that will change soon.