Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. lradke

lradke and doggone it, people like me

It came with the grate when I bought it. I like it! It really is convenient to flip up the side if you need to add anything. I definitely wouldn't want an unhinged grate, now that I have used this one.

I am looking at one of the cast iron (aftermarket) grates you can get. But am really undecided, as this one works great.

I do need to replace the one in the bottom though (for my own piece of mind more than anything) as it is warped and covered in rust. :S. (I'm also gonna pick up some new handles too from the Weber Kettle Club! ;) )

PanChango and Lexicon Devil like this.
  2. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

Used my new smoker for the first time today, smoked tri-tip, roasted potatoes, steamed broccoli...excellent.

Some of the best tri-tip I've had. I always grilled it before. This time I used a Santa Maria type rub and let it sit out at room temp while the smoker got going. 1 hour on smoke, 1 hour at about 250*. Took it off when it reached 130* or so and hit it on the gasser for 2 to 3 mins per side to form a nice crust. After a 15 minute rest...a slice of heaven. I can't wait for the sandwiches tomorrow. My only regret is that I didn't have a plan for the juices. There was a nice amount of flavor lying there on the plate that I think I could have done something with. Next time.

PanChango likes this.
  3. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Consider this your good deed for the year! Our nearby supermarket rolls out a large 3x8 platform grill every Friday & Saturday, 2 guys pile up a small mountain of briquettes, and proceed to douse it all in a veritable flood of lighter fluid! Stuff just reeks! Eventually, they dump ribs and briskets over this putrid smoldering collection and try to sell it to an unwary public.:eek:

Speaking of chimneys: I found that stale tortilla chips make EXCELLENT starter sticks for getting your chimney rolling. They burn abundantly, and unlike newspaper, no ash piles. Plus no off-tastes or odors.

Hrolfr, PanChango and Lexicon Devil like this.
  4. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

My dad turned me into a chimney user. It's too easy to use.

Lexicon Devil and PanChango like this.
  5. Lexicon Devil

Lexicon Devil the Liberace of shaving

I have used paper towels that wiped the bacon grease out of a cast iron skillet. They burn every bit as well as you would expect.

PanChango likes this.
  6. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Good tips on alternate starting material.

7. Hrolfr

Hrolfr Member

Hi my name is Hrolfr and I am a grill adict..... The wifey bought me a new Treager for my birthday have a nice pork butt in it now for the first smoke :D This brings my grill/smoker total up to 8, yeah I have a problem.

Charcoal
    Weber 22in One touch Gas started Kettle
    Weber 22in Kettle
    Weber Smokie Joe

Gas
    Jenair big ole stainless beast
    Coleman Roadtrip

Smokers
    Masterbuilt Electric smokehouse
    BBQ Gas Smoker
    Treager Pellett (I know they call it a grill but it does not get hot enough for steaks)

Rufus T. likes this.
  8. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

The bottom grate gets rusty pretty quick, the coating doesn't last long against the red hot coals sitting directly on it, but it's generally still useable until it starts falling apart and cheap to replace. One think I like about the Webers is replacement parts are so easy to get. The big hardware stores have them, but you can get them cheaper online.

9. emmijack

emmijack Well-Known Member

That outdoor counter looks awesome, you are very talented Sir, when it comes to woodworking I wouldn't have a clue where to start!!!

HolyRollah likes this.
  10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Thank you for the kind words. This project almost became the 'never-ending' project as I revamped it several times during the build process (change this, change that!), and wound up 'over-building' the counter— it probably will survive Armageddon. ;) Good times on it this past Summer, however!

11. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It's not summer, but I didn't let the sub freezing temperatures stop me from taking care of Christmas dinner on the Weber charcoal grill. I did a nice 3" thick 2.5 lb Rib Steak / Roast. When working with a thick cut like this, the reverse sear is the way to go. Bring it within 15 degrees of desired temp via indirect heat, then burn the crap out of it for the last few minutes. I served it with sauteed Crimini mushrooms and roasted garlic and cheddar smashed potatoes.

RibSteak.jpg

Rufus T., KLF, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Beautiful, Dale! That ribeye done on the Weber is enough to bring tears to any beef-lovin' man….:happy088:

BamaT and PanChango like this.
  13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Many Thanks Kevin. It was fantastic. Tossed a small piece of apple wood in to give it a slight smokey flavor. After letting it sit about 10 minutes, it was a nearly perfect rare / med rare.

Tdmsu likes this.
  14. feeltheburn

feeltheburn Well-Known Member

That looks great.

PanChango likes this.
  15. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

I cooked steaks on my Weber grill tonight also. Had some friends over that we've been sharing Christmas dinner with for many years. I didn't think to make a picture, but cooked 5 rib eyes, 4 medium and 1 medium well. Baked potatoes, salad, and my wife's home made cinnamon rolls. Mmmmmm......

Rufus T. and PanChango like this.
  16. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Hey Panchango, what do you sauté your mushrooms in? My wife used to put them in Dales or Moore's, a couple of local marinades that can be pretty salty. She then switched to Worchestershire with a bit of butter. Certainly less salty and pretty good,but I'd like to get a new idea or two on good sauté sauces for mushrooms.

PanChango likes this.
  17. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

This time I used some butter, fresh garlic, and Worcestershire sauce. It is easy and works.

18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I'm not sure what has gotten in to me, but fired up the grill again. There's about 8" of snow on the ground. It's 23F with a nice wind and I have a pork shoulder smoking on the Weber. I'm really looking forward to the roast pork sandwiches with spinach and sharp provolone. They go very well with Eagles playoff football and beer.

BamaT likes this.
  19. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Move to California where we barbecue year round. And have a winning football team. Go 49ers!

HolyRollah and PanChango like this.
  20. bzero007

bzero007 Active Member

Im with you I will be grilling a pork tender loin and wild boar brawts tonight. I bought my brother a charcoal weber for his bachelor party and he loved it. When he was stationed to Spain this year I was hoping to get so I would have it next to my gas weber....but he took it..

PanChango likes this.