Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

I'm in NJ and still grill year round.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Tried the west coast and just couldn't hang. Very nice weather, but I really need to be on the east coast. Being a Philly fan, I am used to disappointment. They get your hopes up and then kick you squarely in the nuts. It's happened time and time again.

A little snow won't stop me, here it is most of the way there. Lightly smoked with Pecan wood to a mid rare 145F.

pork.jpg

Yup that is snow in the background.

Rufus T. and RaZorBurn123 like this.
  3. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I was born and raised in New Jersey. Once was a Eagles fan. Long ago..

4. Dws2112

Dws2112 Member

I love my Treager Tex

5. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Okay—sure it's been rainy here the past 2-3 days—but that's mean I can't fire up the smoker!
    To be accurate, I actually used the smoker to 'cold smoke'—68-86°F—so 'firing up' may not be the best description.

'cool' hickory & maple wood smoke applied to some hanging chubs...
    [​IMG]

What I wound up with is five-pounds of cold-smoked homemade braunschweiger, or smoked liverwürst. :shocked003:
    I know many folks find liverwurst repulsive, :sick007: but I have to admit, the difference between a homemade product using fresh, wholesome ingredients versus the grey tubes of gunk often found in supermarkets, is night & day.
    The result is a firm, flavorful product that is not super-livery, nor off-putting. Some crackers & horseradish mustard is all you need to compliment. Maybe a few small gherkins and a cold beer as well. Was für ein Leckerbissen!
    [​IMG]

6. Jasman

Jasman Well-Known Member

As one who actually likes braunschweiger, that looks wonderful.

HolyRollah likes this.
  7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I actually prefer braunschweiger over 'regular' liverwurst. My wife loves the stuff—but after having some bad experiences with some store-bought varieties :eatdrink020: :sick007::sick007: I ventured into making some from scratch.
    Take about 3.5 pound of pork liver—lightly poach, some ground pork fat, plus onion and spices; mix & grind to a fine texture; stuff, lightly poach chubs & then smoke…

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Spit_Fire, RaZorBurn123 and Chuck F like this.
  8. Chuck F

Chuck F Cheesy! Big Curd style

My smoker is in a screened porch off our garage, and that means I can't get to it until the several feet of snow on the ground melts. First up after the thaw will be a new batch of bacon-- I just traded my last pound of it for four SE razors.

It's not smoked, but here is a photo of some coppa I made a while back:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 2, 2014
    Rufus T., RaZorBurn123 and HolyRollah like this.
  9. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Good coppa is a wondrous thing! :drool:

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It feels like Spring here in NorCal—has been for the past month—so time to break out the smoker again.
    I'm using the Weber Smokey Mountain charcoal smoker for this job: a 15.5lb beef brisket.
    Chunks of hickory, oak & applewood for the smoke source.
    I figure this will take about 15 hours, so sometime tomorrow we'll have some brisket.

About 90 minutes into the long cook/smoke:
    [​IMG]

Rufus T., RaZorBurn123 and PanChango like this.
  11. TarheelFXR

TarheelFXR Member

In NC BBQ is a minor religion that trumps all weather related events, well hurricanes......

12. georgemoe

georgemoe Member

Why am I not surprised to find an awesome bbq topic here. Weber guy here. Platinum charcoal, WSM, and Q300 gasser for the wife.
    Some day I want to get a ranch kettle but it's a bit much for two people. ;)

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

I have a Weber, which is the perfect BBQ IMO. Since it's my wife and daughter and I, I'm buying a small table top gas BBQ.

14. swarden43

It's 9:30 in the morning. Getting ready to go out and fire up the smoker for some ribs.
    Should be a nice day. Calling for a high of 63.

PanChango and HolyRollah like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Alright, Steve! Tis' the time of year for early BBQs!
    By the way…………
    :pics:

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It may be sacrilicious to do wings on the grill, but I did a fantastic batch of pecan smoked raspberry chipotle wings tonight on the Weber kettle. Roasted a couple of Poblanos and grilled some yellow squash and asparagus to help round it out.

TarheelFXR and HolyRollah like this.
  17. swarden43

Sorry, forgot the finished picture - we were all too hungry and by the time I remembered, the ribs were gone! :eatdrink020:
    P1010661 (Medium).JPG P1010662 (Medium).JPG P1010666 (Medium).JPG
    And the tunes to go with it!

18. PatrickA51

PatrickA51 Well-Known Member

THAT"S COLD!
    Now I'm Hungry FEEED MEEEEEE!!!!!!

19. Erik Redd

Erik Redd Lizabeth, baby, I'm comin' to join ya.

Did you have to drill the hole for the temp probe yourself or was it already there? It looks like it's riveted, so I would think it was there already but it may just be you drilled it yourself and riveted it because you are a meticulous BBQ'er

20. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

It's actually a part of a kit one can buy online that fits a collared 2-piece threaded 'tube' into a preexisting hole in the weber with a large enough diameter to pass 2 to 3 temp cables through. I'll have to check nd see where I bought it (3-5 years ago). Cheap.