Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Not foiling will give them a little more bite from the bone. I cook on a kamado and haven't had the need to baste ribs or use a water pan. I just use a heavy hand applying rub, set the grill wherever it settles between 250F and 275F and let them do their thing. I like to foil and wrap them for about 45 minutes once it hits the stall just to help them along. It has been so long since I used another cooker, sorry I can't help much.

2. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

A friend of mine has one and loves it. I have an old large black KJ and a small oval Primo that I inherited. Enjoy.

BamaT, Redrock and Edison Carter like this.
  3. Tiredricefarmer

Tiredricefarmer Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t start basting until after the rub has set. If you baste too soon you run the risk of washing your rub off. Just my opinion, someone else may have a different view. Good luck!

4. Ksblazer

Ksblazer Well-Known Member

Smoked chicken breast Monterey with rice and beans.

20200712_131838_HDR.jpg 20200712_131720_HDR.jpg

Paul Turner, BamaT, PanChango and 3 others like this.
  5. Ksblazer

20200815_162823_HDR.jpg

Peach\chipotle bbq baby back ribs.

6. Tiredricefarmer

Excellent!!!

Redrock and Ksblazer like this.
  7. Ksblazer

8. Redrock

Redrock Well-Known Member

Alder smoked salmon. Excellent. I made Cilantro Lime coleslaw and garlic sauteed fresh green beans as the sides. It was great.

salmon.JPG

Ksblazer, BamaT, Hembree and 3 others like this.
  9. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I had a little family get together today. I made a good fire with Red Oak, and did some cooking. . I cooked Chicken Shish Kabobs, and Prime Rib Shish Kabobs. Also, some hotdogs and big thick hamburgers. Something for everyone. Plus, I can freeze the leftovers and eat good for.a.while.

BamaT, Redrock, Edison Carter and 2 others like this.
  10. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I fired up the kamado yesterday and roasted a spatchcocked turkey breast for Thanksgiving. After a dry brine, I used a touch of cherry wood at 325F and basted with a garlic herb butter a few times through the cook. It was definitely one of my better efforts.

turkeybreast.jpg

Jim O, Tdmsu, BamaT and 6 others like this.
  11. Hembree

Hembree Not as pretty smelling

Great job! Looks yummy.

Tdmsu and PanChango like this.
  12. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. I was impressed with how it turned out this year.

13. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

A couple of 7 pound Boston butts on a Weber kettle grill, using the “snake” charcoal method. I added a couple of hickory chunks and several hickory nuts for smoke. Two temp probes were put into each butt.

CA746879-C03D-48D4-9ECE-A6368081C455.jpeg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2021
    Jim O, Hammer8, Ksblazer and 3 others like this.
  14. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

I never heard of a "Boston Butt", even though I was born in the place.

Redrock and PanChango like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_butt

"In Colonial and Revolutionary New England butchers would use specialty barrels called butts to store a particular cut of pork. The butchering technique for this cut of pork also seems to have originated in New England and Boston, giving the cut the name "Boston butt".[4] A 1912 issue of the Agricultural Experiment Station of the University of Illinois bulletin states that the barrels were still in use for exports to Germany, Denmark and other European countries as well as for sale in the United States.[5] However, the first known reference to the term does not appear in print until 1915 in the publication Hotel Monthly."

16. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Fired up the grill and smoked a rack of baby back ribs. Used my standard rub with Cherry and Beech wood smoke at 250F for just under 5 hours.

babybackribsMD.jpg

BamaT, Hammer8, Ksblazer and 3 others like this.
  17. Tiredricefarmer

Beautiful!!! :drool:

Redrock and PanChango like this.
  18. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

19. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Niiiiiiiice!
    That reminds me, I have a picnic cut, about 4 lbs, in the freezer. I'm a fan of the snake method. Usually good for about 7 hours of smoking.

BamaT and Redrock like this.
  20. Edison Carter

Edison Carter Well-Known Member

Ok

I’m jumping in too

1541EFDE-F7BD-4A3B-AB76-2DB89FB4D164.jpeg

184BD478-713B-417E-9BEC-29548DE0ABE2.jpeg

BamaT, Hammer8, DaltonGang and 4 others like this.