Summertime...Barbeques, Grills & Smokers!

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by HolyRollah, Jun 11, 2013.

1. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

A little earlier in the evening, brats and Vidalia onion slices on the gas grill. Cooked low and slow for about 40 minutes, turning once, running only the far right burner. Then after 40 minutes of indirect, I cooked them direct over the lowest setting possible, for just a few minutes to get some nice grill marks on them. I’m not a big onion person, however grilled Vidalia sweet onions in small quantities is okay. One of those slices was for me, the rest for my wife!

E4C14106-E5B0-49F5-88FA-1A59945ABA8F.jpeg

2. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

20210726_063402-01.jpeg Screenshot_20210726-075916.jpg
    First try with pork shoulder. Low and slow on the way to pulled pork. I'm new to my Kamado and smoking, but not to grilling.

3. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

20210726_124627-01.jpeg pretty good progress so far waiting out the stall.

Jorvaljr, Redrock, IAmTheJody and 4 others like this.
  4. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

That is looking good. If you ever have kamado questions, shoot me a pm. I've been using one for longer than I care to remember.

Tdmsu likes this.
  5. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

Thank you! I will ask questions. Like how to wait for the last 10 degrees with a hungry family waiting. :)

BamaT and PanChango like this.
  6. Tdmsu

Tdmsu Well-Known Member

20210726_182031-01.jpeg
    Delicious!

Jorvaljr, Redrock, IAmTheJody and 4 others like this.
  7. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

I am sure they will let you know that you should have started earlier so they could eat 10 minutes ago. :)

That looks great. Nice job.

8. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

This Lyfe Tyme Grill/Smoker has been with me, for 25 years, and is still going strong. It is a heavy duty smoker, that requires you know the quirks it has. But, when you learn it, it can produce some of the best smoked meats around.
    It has a 38 inch X 16 inch Cooking/Smoking area, that can hold 2 full sized briskets, as well as a 18x18 inch cooking area over the firebox. The steel grates were burned out, so, I went to a local BBQ pit maker, and had him cut some new grates(I should have done this a long while back).
    The other day, I smoked a couple of pork roasts, overnight, and it was some of the best ever. I used some Live Oak, that was given to me, by a neighbor, who had his tree cut down. It is some of the toughest wood to split, but the best out there to smoke with. Slow burning, long lasting, and consistent heat. Not a huge producer of smoke, but, just the right amount. Very little wood was needed, for an 8 hrs smoke. The taste was very smooth, deep, and not acrid.

It could use a good sand blasting, and some new paint, but that would make it lose some of its charm. BTW, those wood handles are made from an Elm tree I cut down, over the summer. They work great, and they were free.
    PA110014.JPG

Tdmsu, Jorvaljr, BamaT and 4 others like this.
  9. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

And since ti was done on my kamado, here is an apple galette.
    AppleGalette.jpg

Tdmsu, mrchick, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  10. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

IMG_2617.jpg
    Smoking some chicken thighs but also plan to grill a couple steaks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tiredricefarmer, Tdmsu, BamaT and 2 others like this.
  11. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Like the smoker, one of my friends has one of those. But I love the Weber kettle grill next to it! I know they’ve made different colors through the years, but I don’t remember seeing one that color. I’m currently using a red anniversary model that I believe was a limited run.

Jorvaljr likes this.
  12. Jorvaljr

Jorvaljr Operation Daytona 8000

This one is many decades old.

PanChango and BamaT like this.
  13. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

It hit 90 for the second time this year today and unfortunately the yard work could not wait. Fired up the kamado and made a Ham, Broccoli, & Cheese Quiche. Baked around 385F for about 40 minutes.

IMG_20220522_161037683_HDR.jpg

Ksblazer, Jim O, Hembree and 4 others like this.
  14. BamaT

BamaT Well-Known Member

Any leftovers? :) That looks really good!

Tdmsu and PanChango like this.
  15. PanChango

PanChango Not Cute

Thanks. It turned out pretty well. Unfortunately not, hungry co workers devoured the rest of it.

Tdmsu and BamaT like this.
  16. Love your setup and looks delicious!

17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

I use my Pitt Boss pellet smoker for everything. No longer own a grill. It sits under roof so not really bothered by the heat so much. Pitt Boss has a sliding plate allowing me to sear over fire for marinated chicken or doing steaks. Bought it four years ago and still love it. Use it several times a week year round

DaltonGang and BamaT like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

I've been looking at the Pit Boss smokers. But, I still have my trusted Stick Wood type smoker, and plenty of free wood. ..

BamaT likes this.
  19. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

You were up all night feeding that smoker wood?

20. Jim O

Jim O Well-Known Member

Crispy skin?