Super Adjustable, Super Retarded

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by JayKay, Apr 26, 2008.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

So I picked up a super adjustable at an antique store a little while back when I was at home in new york. I had posted a thread about it a while back, as some of you may remember. Right before that, I picked up a few razors from here. So I wound up having more razors than I knew what to do with. So I PIFed one out, sold a couple, and thinned the collection out to ones that I like to shave with. I was about to sell the super to my friend before deciding that I should at least try it, as I had never tried a super before.

I had scrubbed it previously but decided to give it a 10 minute alcohol soak before using it today. So I soaked it, rinsed it, put a blade in, and tightened it down. I noticed that it still smelled like alcohol so I opened it back up and gave it another rinse. I than left it there and soaked my brush while I showered. I got out, made some nice lather with CF Lime, picked up the razor, and just went at it. I got a nick on my chin. I thought the blade felt odd and that the razor was just extremely rough. I mean this thing chewed my cheek up. It wasn't until I actually looked at the razor and noticed there was no angle to it, that I realized I had forgotten to retighten the doors. WOW! What a horribly retarded mistake. I had given my self an entire first pass without the doors turned down that extra quarter turn that angles the blade. Man did that hurt. It was like my first time shaving with a shavette. I than tightened the doors and MAN DID THIS THING SHAVE! It didn't even feel like there was a blade in the razor. It was a close, smooth, and non-irritating shave. One of the best I'd ever had (minus the initial incident). I used the treet black beauty blades.

2. iron maiden

iron maiden New Member

:happy102..Don't feel too bad....we've all pulled a "Homer" like that on occasion.

3. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    Lesson learned, huh? :)

4. JayKay

Ohhhhhhhh yes. lesson learned. If I ever loosen the head, tighten it back up as soon as your done doing what ever your doing. I have to say though, this is THE BEST shaving razor I have ever used. I mean absolutely no irritation anywhere. Not even a little bit of redness. Asbolutely nothing. Its damn near BBS too, and its only set on 3. Honestly, its so gentle I probably wouldnt be able to tell the difference as to whether there was a blade in there or not. What number does everybody else use theirs on? I may have to give it a crank or two and see what happens.

5. I have a super adjustable short handle. They are great shavers. Not sure why they don't get more respect from the collectors. I have been using a 2 setting but think 3 is probably going to be the right setting.

6. JayKay

Because they are ugly. BUT
    THEEEE BEST SHAVE I HAVE EVER HAD!!! HANDS DOWN!!

7. Queen of Blades

Queen of Blades Mistress of Mischief Staff Member

Moderator Supporting Vendor
    I have my super adjustable set at 3.

8. Bronco

Bronco Mac Daddy

They are nice shavers. The cap on the bottom tends to cause them to hold water or alky-haul (If you've soaked it.) Shake it out good and keep the weep hole open. Don't try to pop the bottom cap for cleaning, they are press fit and a bear to get back, if at all. I learned this many years ago. :D

9. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Once I failed to tighten a Schick Krona fully and got the worst cut I've ever gotten with a razor. That thing cut deep. I had blood all over the sink and I had to use a pressure bandage to stop the bleeding.

Generally I don't like Gillette adjustables. I bought a Fatboy in the late 1950's, used it about two weeks, then threw it in the trash and went back to my Super Speed. During my period of mad AD last fall I collected I think six Fatboys and eight Slims and sold all of them. I got two Supers and for the first time I got a good shave from an adjustable. I kept one and sold the other.

I usually leave mine set on 8. The Supers are milder than Fatboys and Slims. Gillette recommended starting at either zero or 3 with them but with the Super the instruction leaflet says for an average beard to start at 5. I tried 5 and 7 numerous times but for me they leave stubble even with multiple passes. 8 will give me a BBS shave most of the time but it's still not as good as a NEW or Red Tip.

Richard

10. JayKay

Interesting. I get just about a BBS shave with the super on 3, but I guess I'll have to crank it up a couple to see if I can get any closer without irritation. Its the only razor I own that doesnt give me any irriatation at all on my neck next to and above my adams apple. Usually its a little red after shaving but not at all with this baby.

11. rodd

rodd Knotty Boy

they are fine shavers. Sorry you had a bad experience, I was reading the story, and before I got to the reason for the bad experience, I was thinking, there must be something wrong with his razor, mine are so mild and pleasant! ;) I am glad it worked out for you in the end. Good luck on a speedy recovery.

12. JayKay

Its okay now. The gash under my eye is just about healed. Anyway, how the hell do I oil that thing? I dont want to give it a mineral oil bath (because that would go out and require me to buy more mineral oil), but that end cap seems to make it difficult to oil. Any recomendations?

13. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

If the silo doors or adjustment knob are NOT sticking, then I just put a few drops of light machine oil down the top center opening then open and close the doors for a minute or so. Then I put a drop or two just above the adjustment setting knob and just above the TTO knob and twirl both of them a minute or so. I let it set overnight with the doors upright and then give it a good rinse in hot water before I use it. I have used a fine needle syringe to squirt a little oil through the tiny hole in the bottom but I don't think that's necessary. A sticking problem is usually at the top.

If the doors or adjustment mechanism are sticking or stuck then it's probably going to need a 24-hour oil bath soak or maybe several of them.

Don't use vegetable oils. Eventually they'll gum up and they hold crud more than mineral oil.

Richard

14. JayKay

Thank you. I did that and its nice and smooth again. Perfectooo. Tonight I'm going to dial up and see if it still gives me an irritation free shave.

15. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Tighten the doors first, will ya? :rolleyes:

16. JayKay

Haha. Its on my to do list this time. Although shaving with them loose reminded me of shaving with the sanguine....which I also destroyed my face with.

17. JayKay

So, I cranked her up to 5. BBS and NO irritation! yayo!

18. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

The only razor I can do that with - consistently anyway - is a Mach 3. Seriously.

Congrats!!

19. JayKay

The mach 3 gave me bumps and redness. All my other razors give me some redness. This is the only razor that doesnt give me any redness. I should put a run on the market and buy them all up so I have enough for the rest of my life.

20. Lionhearted

Lionhearted New Member

Very good!

I have two razors where I get BBS about nine out of ten times sometimes with just a single pass and touch ups: a NEW and a '56 Red Tip. With my Super set on 8 I get BBS about three out of four times. My basic problem in failing to get BBS every time is that no matter how much I tell myself to slow down I rush through shaving. These three work well even if I'm fast and on autopilot not paying attention. The only razors where I consistently get irritation and redness are Old Styles used without a shim.

I've never tried a Mach 3 or any other multi-blade razor. I got a free Schick Quattro Titanium that arrived last week. I've been looking at it with a squint and wondering what it can do. Even priced cartridges at Wally, four for $10.66, up a dollar in a week. I'm tempted to try it but I probably won't. This is what my son uses so I'll probably just give it to him. The hype is interesting — not only aloe on the blade but also vitamins E and B-5. Maybe I should dip my DE in liquid vitamins. Or pour some liquid vitamins in my soap. :) Gotta keep up with the times.

Richard