SUPER newb here

Discussion in 'Welcome Center' started by JDro, Dec 28, 2015.

1. JDro

JDro Member

hi guys..i just signed up here and at badger and blade...is this like a competition thing in the shaving community or are lots of people members at both, or do I need to pick one? lol I just posted this over there and was hoping to post it here as well for feedback....thanks so much -- also not sure if this belongs in the shaving cream forum section so I'll post it there as well and hope I am not breaking any rules already lol

Hi all,

Super duper epic newbie to this...always been a wet shaver, but looking to take my life from "wahhhh i don't WANNA shave" to "I can't wait to shave again" lol

I just got the Omega 636 silvertip brush from WCS after browsing these forums before joining...I know literally nothing about a good lather yet...but before I go there, it's important due to allergies, skin conditions, and a whole other list of things no one really cares about lol, I really need to find as close to natural/organic/paraben free etc etc etc of a cream as I can.

I have gathered the following names/brands and wondered any thoughts? The last threads I could find on here on the subject seem to be back in 2012, so I hope I was checking in the right places...I'm also not sure if this should be under the shaving cream forum so I guess I'll post it there too?

Can anyone advise in terms of "naturalness" (is that a word? lol) as well as the performance? I learned already through reading here to not include Bert's Bees as an option...lol

-Dr Bronner's Peppermint Organic Shaving Soap in a tube
    -Kiss My Face (used to avoid them as they filled their crap with the same preservative stuff everyone else did, but this actually says paraben a million other things "free")
    -BullDog Sensitive Shave Cream
    -Every Man Jack shave cream
    -also I thought i read Proraso reformulated with a paraben/preservative free formula? any idea if true?
    -The Shave Den
    -Giovanni
    -Maca Root at the Body Shop
    -TOBS grapefruit (and/or other scents?) This seems like such a super legit old-school brand, is there stuff really natural or was it reformulated or is it the Grapefruit specifically since Grapefruit oil kills bacteria and can act like a preservative?
    -Speick (this seems really legit stuff from Europe and gets awesome performance reviews...but how's the scent? A lot people reported it seemed smelling very "old man" kind of?

Thank you ANYONE for your info...I am hoping a brush for the first time and a legit cream will turn this experience around for me haha :)

Best,
    Jeff

2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hello and welcome

TomJ89de likes this.
  3. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    zwelcome2.jpg

TomJ89de likes this.
  4. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

Hello Jeff! Welcome to TSD.

5. Troy M

Troy M Prep: Mephitis mephitis musk

Hi Jeff. Welcome to TSD.

I have the Maca Root cream and it is simply amazing. I don't care if it is natural or unnatural. It seems pretty benign to me. I encouraged my son to use it as he struggled with some of the Van Der Hagen soaps. He loves it as well. My wife loves it. I even think the cat loves it.

TomJ89de and IDuck like this.
  6. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

Welcome to TSD. I don't suffer from skin issues, but I've heard that TOBS Avocado is a good choice for sensitive skin.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Welcome, Jeff.
    There are a number of TSD members who also peruse the B&B forums (as well as others). There is plenty of good information to be found at B&B and some of the larger shave forums, but what TSD does have in its favor is a smaller, more intimate community that is not only knowledgeable about all aspects of shaving, but also makes newcomers feel 'right at home' as part of the TSD community.
    Of the names on your list, I only have experience with three: Proraso, TSD and the TOBS. By far, I'm a fan of the TSD. Quality made in small quantities with a huge array of fragrances as options.
    Omegas make good-quality, affordable brushes.

TomJ89de, Joef, wristwatchb and 3 others like this.
  8. IDuck

IDuck Well-Known Member

welcome, only post here and know that no one here sticks there nose up at B&B, dont know if its the same over there or not.

TomJ89de and Joef like this.
  9. PLAla

PLAla Bit Shy of a Full Puck

I joined earlier this month, Jeff. The people here are knowledgeable, generous, funny, and will work hard to help you enjoy and get your best shaves. I've been welcomed with open arms and I'm sure you'll experience the same reception.

As far as soaps, check out Proraso. The "white" variety (in the white tub) is made with green tea and oatmeal and is billed to be for sensitive skin. I used it a few days ago and found it to be very cushioning and protective.

I haven't used any of the others you mentioned. But with a little research and with feedback from TSD members I'm sure you'll get a fair list of soaps/creams to begin with.

10. twhite

twhite Peeping Tom

Hello Jeff:signs046:
    I found these guys 3 months ago. they are an awesome very helpful group of people. They are also very fun! They take shaving seriously but not themselves. That is the best thing to me at least.

Tom

11. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Welcome to TSD! Please sign up for the Newbie Give-Away HERE

TomJ89de and youngunn like this.
  12. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Hi nice to meet you. I don't sense any competition between the forums, there are people that post on both. It just shaving forums not marriage. Enjoy the diversity.

TomJ89de, youngunn, Ahh Oui and 2 others like this.
  13. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

The only strictly all naturals on your list seem to be Dr Bronners..didn't realize they make a shaving soap..maybe gonna try it..and Kiss My face. Both of these are probably going to be pretty easy on the hide. Also you can look at http://www.target.com/bp/pacific shaving. I've got this one going right now and the face really likes it..not a bad performer either once you dial in the water mix..not a thirsty cream. And welcome to TSD!...

TomJ89de likes this.
  14. JDro

JDro Member

wow everyone thank you so much for the welcome and I look forward to being here awhile!!

note to self: random funny picture that is at least 10 years old somehow shows up as picture icon when posting at theshaveden for the first time...LOL

any thoughts on speick, or the every man jack? has anyone used either on here as well? thanks again!!!

wristwatchb likes this.
  15. JDro

JDro Member

also thank you razorburn for the contest link!! with work not sure I can make 15 posts in the next 72 hours but i'll sure try OR i'll just be really, really annoying LOL

macaronus likes this.
  16. JDro

JDro Member

curious in terms of the only "all natural" on the list being Dr Bronner (by the way, am I at 15 posts yet?)

Every Man Jack has this to say about their formulas ( assuming they're telling the truth haha) - what makes any of it unnatural? does it perform well?

"Our products give you exceptional performance using only naturally derived ingredients. No parabens, no phthalates, no dyes, no sodium lauryl sulfate"

17. Marverel

Marverel Well-Known Member

The Speick Cream, in my opinion, is a fantastic performer, one of the best creams you can get, especially considering the price (though it is a bit more expensive in the US). The scent ... well, you'd have to decide for yourself. It's herbal and pretty intense - I like it.

I don't have sensitive skin, but I also like the white Proraso and Taylor of Old Bond Streets "Jermyn Street" (which smells fantastic btw). Both shouldn't give you any trouble.

Oh - and: Welcome to TSD ;)

crackstar likes this.
  18. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

hello and welcome
    Jack Black supreme cream says it's free of everything, but cost.

19. 178-bplatoon

178-bplatoon Well-Known Member

:signs046: to TSD "JDro"

I hope you enjoy it here.

I'm not sure if it's "natural" or not, but it's been around for a good while, it's inexpensive, works well for me and it's the only soap I use now a days ARKO. I use Corn Huskers Lotion for my preshave again, not sure how "natural" it is, but it's been around forever and its inexpensive. :happy088:

20. youngunn

youngunn Where's my TSD aftershave balm???

Welcome to the shave den!

I have switched over completely to artisan soft soaps, croaps if you will, that are made in small batches with no chemicals or parabens etc. Artisans such as Strop Shoppe, Stirling, Ginger's Garden, Chiseled Face, are good ones, and many like RazoRock as well, not so much artisan but great soaps.

For creams can't go wrong with anything Taylor of Old Bond Street, they make one just for sensitive skin, Jermyn Street I think? Speick is good, smell is strong, herbal, spicy, either like it or hate it, Kiss my Face is good, Maca Root is supposed to be awesome.

Have fun and ask questions if you need to

Apollorunner likes this.