Super Super Rare Gillette Adjustable Experimental Prototypes Found!

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by GlennConti, Feb 15, 2019.

1. John Ruschmeyer

John Ruschmeyer Well-Known Member

Seriously interesting stuff! I'm curious about a couple of things... Do the serial numbers on the 1-5 Red Dot Fatboys fit in the existing scheme (such as it is) for 105 serial Toggles? It would seem to make sense that they might share parts from a common pool.

It's very clear that Gillette went through a number of iterations to find the "best" shape for the Toggle's toggle (and the Fatboy's knob).

I disagree with you, however, about the "Slim Toggle". I don't think that plastic knob is supposed to be a toggle, just an oddly shaped knob (kind of like that one version of the Gem MicroMatic). I wonder how they took it apart, however. I would suspect a pin through the handle rather than a crimp at the bottom.

Frijolero, Hembree, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  2. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

The Toggle flare looks different it's cool! :happy088:

Jorvaljr and brit like this.
  3. Juno

Juno Well-Known Member

That does not look like a toggle to me either.

Hembree and brit like this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

Confusion relieved, this is your website! Thank you for bringing the weird and wonderful photos to us here at TSD @GlennConti. I see text has been added to the webpage so I'm off to read up. :)

Hembree, Keithmax, brit and 2 others like this.
  5. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

I'm not a "Toggle-Guy", but I'd love a Bell-Bottom Toggle.

Hembree, Jorvaljr, RyX and 3 others like this.
  6. Weasel640

Weasel640 Well-Known Member

Was waiting until the auction closed to post this. But a F-4 Gillette Fat Boy Bottom Dial Adjustable just closed for a pretty penny.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/392234887682

I'm no eBay expert, but the way some of the bidders bid coupled with their low feedback scores almost seem like someone was trying to push up bids on purpose.

Frijolero, Hembree and brit like this.
  7. Herm2502

Herm2502 off to elf practice

This stuff is just too cool!

Herm

Hembree likes this.
  8. BBS

BBS Well-Known Member

They will sell for that much on a good day. If someone was using a a fake account to find a real bidders max and that bidder didn't step up afterwards then you'll see this relisted either under that fake account or the seller will cancel the sale first. All depends if they want to take a hit on the seller fees but either way it is like a sneaky way of selling with a reserve but not using one to feel out the real market value without having to actually sell it period.

Frijolero, Hembree and RyX like this.
  9. brit

brit in a box

i purchased a razor a little while ago and placed an auto bid of $100..a private bidder matched mine bid for bid until i just won it by pennies at my max bid price..very fishy,very handy with the "what can i do for you" emails as well..i am looking elsewhere for razors now..there is a replated toggle for $1200.00 on right now.

Frijolero, Hembree and Enrico like this.
  10. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

I was looking for a toggle or a bottom dial at one time, but desires change and preferences honed. Now I wand a Big Fellow. :D

RyX, Frijolero, Hembree and 2 others like this.
  11. brit

brit in a box

i am happy with my stuff too,want to finish my brit gillette collection..

RyX, Frijolero, Hembree and 1 other person like this.
  12. Rev579

Rev579 Well-Known Member

Just make notes of shill auctions and it’s participants. It helps weed-out dangerous transactions and less-than-honorable sellers.

Frijolero, Hembree and brit like this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I'm still looking but when I find those or a Red Dot, it'll be a thrift store/garage sale at a crusty old used razor price. I've figured out that Gillette did market testing with the Toggles and they failed. Fat Boys, Slims, and Black Beauties are the fixed engineering that went into production. I'd still like to own the odd prototypes but not at Collectors prices.

AGHisBBS, Enrico and Frijolero like this.
  14. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

Everyone thinks they've got a REGUS. I've bought so many that turned out to be a New or a Tech. BAH.

Don't tell anyone, but... it's my bucket full.

brit, Enrico, Frijolero and 2 others like this.