superspeed endcap question

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by TitanTTB, Oct 18, 2011.

1. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

I have a 40's superspeed in beautiful condition except a missing endcap.
    I don't have a replacement endcap so I'll probably remove the other end cap to make it even.
    The solder where it was is dark and ugly, so I'd like to clean it off. I guess its just lead solder so I was thinking that I could just melt it with a torch lighter and wipe it off with a rag.
    So I'm wondering if this method could damage the plating on the razor? Anything else I should keep in mind?
    Thanks

2. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

If it gets too hot, it could definitely damage it.. plating and razor. I'd ask around or post in the Wanted section first.. to see if anyone has any spare endcaps. Sometimes people do, especially if they do a lot of razor repair and resell. ;)

3. stingraysrock

stingraysrock PIF'd away his custom title

Pull the other end cap off so they match! That is what I did with an Aristocrat I had one time. Pretend it is a Ranger, or whatever, it will still shave okay.

IAmTheJody likes this.
  4. TitanTTB

TitanTTB Well-Known Member

Thanks for the help...
    I've kept my eye out but haven't come across a parts razor yet. It does shave well as it is so I didn't want to damage the razor. I figured if I could take it off I would save it in case I ever found another endcap. A side question are all the endcaps the same... (would I need to find one from a 40's superspeed or would any superspeed or razor for that matter work?)

Well today I heated it slowly with a candle (not a torch lighter) and was able to clean the solder off nicely off the missing side. However with this same method I wasn't able to remove the other cap. That one is really on there good. I'll try again tommorow.