Swedish Razors Thread

Discussion in 'Straight Razors' started by DaltonGang, Aug 23, 2018.

1. TestDepth

TestDepth Well-Known Member

Why yes they are... lovely examples!
    That Engstrom looks amazing and the shape of the Neistrom is a classic for me.
    Thank you!

2. TestDepth

Been keeping an eye out for the little brothers of my MK32... and got lucky in rapid succession a little while back. Thought it would be fun to post them together.

So here is the C.V. Heljestrand MK32, MK31 & MK30 side by side.
    ACE73684-4B36-4C23-BEA4-3B810AE785E4.jpeg
    Billed as 6/8, 5/8 and 4/8 models, placing them on the ruler adds a little 1/16” when measured from top of spine.
    CA89D1A9-E0B4-4C92-97DF-228E53A45BA9.jpeg
    Earlier posts show the 32 grind and here is a shot of the 31 (left) and 30.
    90CBA445-1F97-46A4-862E-5BFDB636ECD9.jpeg
    I thought it would be neat to capture an overlay.
    C8E66353-B75B-4CEA-84EE-D583CC17534D.jpeg
    Honed up the 31 and intend to use it in a bit.
    Tom

Last edited: May 18, 2019
    jgreenepa, lottenhem, Manumik and 8 others like this.
  3. TestDepth

We revived the Japanese and Russian threads, and I thought the Swedish thread was lonely.

Kick it back off with a few Klas Tornblom razors.
    93023A88-6389-4D52-957C-35F979673FDA.jpeg
    My understanding is he started with a partnership with a Hedengren in 1900 to produce hardware in Ekilstuna, then when they got in financial trouble, went out in his own in 1916, focusing on straight razors. He died in 1920 and I think the assumption is his daughter took over. They closed their doors in 1959.

Most of what I see are these shoulderless varieties, and in the smaller side. These are around 9/16”.

I also am lucky enough to have a slightly larger version, with the shape pretty much identical.
    D1C6F7B8-847C-4D04-BC9C-C858FC876102.jpeg
    All 3 have a light etching of Sandvik-Stal on the reverse tang.
    FA3331EB-2909-48E3-8FEC-56ADCFEB47FD.jpeg
    Sandvik looks like a Swedish steel producer from as far back as the mid 1800’s. But didn’t go deep into that, so please let me know if I’m mistaken.
    Tom

4. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Swedish razors have style, and don't need size to be great. Nice razors Tom.

5. TestDepth

Thanks Scott. Definitely the sports cars of razors.

6. lottenhem

lottenhem Well-Known Member

Hi,

The Company was founded by Johan Engström in 1874 and was shut down in 1915. I would guess that your razor is from the 19th century, 1880-1900. It seems that in the beginning of 1900- there was a transition to blade shape that we have today. I have a photo of the factory, but haven’t got a clue how the attach it in this Plattform..,

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

jgreenepa, Keithmax, esvh and 5 others like this.
  7. Mr. Oldschool

Mr. Oldschool Johnny Dangerously

It looks like you're using Tapatalk. If your version of the app is anything like mine, all you do is hit the paperclip at the bottom of the reply window and upload your photo from your phone. That is how I've been doing photos recently because my old photo server, Photobucket has completely gone to the dogs.

jgreenepa likes this.
  8. Mr. Oldschool

Sandvik is a huge firm dating to the mid 19th century that developed steel refinement techniques, and now covers a wide spectrum of engineering interests. For years they've been known a producer of high quality edged things. My first ripsaw, given to me by my father-in-law is a Sandvik, and he has a number of them in his arsenal. According to the Wikipedia page, they were the first firm to use the Bessemer process in steel manufacturing on a large scale. What I know from personal experience is that they have a solid reputation for making fantastic saw blades.

9. TestDepth

Thanks for the info - great stuff.
    Tom

10. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Great info. Thank you. :happy088:

jgreenepa, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  11. lottenhem

Well, the paper clip doesn’t work. But her is the URL to the website where you all also can find other Eskilstuna Manufacturers:

http://pimhusse.se/johan-engstrom/

12. lottenhem

jgreenepa, Billyfergie and esvh like this.
  13. Mr. Oldschool

Sorry, at the time I was responding, I was on my computer rather than using Tapatalk on my phone. I will attempt to post a screenshot of how I post pictures using Tapatalk. Tap where my screenshot indicates. It turns out it wasn't a paperclip but was a folder. Sorry about that. The examples I used being this post, the whole thing starts to become a little like when you set a couple mirrors up facing each other, but hopefully these make sense. The paperclip it turns out is for attaching files. I use my phone's gallery to select the image I want to post. Then you have to tap the tiny "send" at the top of the screen. Again this is assuming our versions are the same. Good luck.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

jgreenepa and esvh like this.
  14. lottenhem

Thanks!

jgreenepa and Billyfergie like this.
  15. Mr. Oldschool

You bet!

Sent from my LGUS992 using Tapatalk

jgreenepa and Billyfergie like this.
  16. lottenhem

Always nice to shave with a MK No. 31
    [​IMG]

jgreenepa, Steve56, Manumik and 6 others like this.
  17. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Since its Show & Tell Time..My Erik Anton Berg Half Hollow 5/8th & My Mark 32 C.V Heljestrand Full Hollow 6/8th..Both are Real Shiny Blades..Wont be Parting with Either of Em..:D

Billy..:chores016:

jgreenepa, Steve56, lottenhem and 4 others like this.
  18. lottenhem

Nice razors Billy!

jgreenepa, TestDepth and Billyfergie like this.
  19. Billyfergie

Billyfergie The Scottish Ninja

[​IMG]

jgreenepa, TestDepth and lottenhem like this.
  20. lottenhem

[​IMG]
    Please shave says the little dog. I will not argue against that . I will use an EDV Neiström.