Synthetic suggestions

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by rustypixel, Apr 24, 2020.

1. rustypixel

rustypixel Active Member

I'm looking to have a brush put together and I'm leaning towards a synthetic knot (currently use badger). I know little about synthetics and I'm looking for suggestions. Basically, I'm looking to see what everyone thinks is the top of the line in synthetics. All help is appreciated.

Thanks.

CastleShave likes this.
  2. b1hart

b1hart Speed Racer

I’ve been working through several options, both from knots you can purchase directly, or that you can harvest from a manufacturer’s handle.

Omega EVO, Simpson T3, and the Zenith synthetic are three great knots that can be harvested. T3 is very reasonable.

For buying a knot ready to glue in, the SynBad from AP Shave Co is very nice too. Just play with mounting depth for the back bone feel you’d like.

These are the only ones I’ve used, hopefully others can add some more comments and choices.

3. richgem

richgem suffering from chronic clicker hand cramps

4. Angelo85

Angelo85 Well-Known Member

Look into a tuxedo knot. It splays very nicely, is very comfortable to the touch and lathers extremely well.

Ron R likes this.
  5. BlueShaver

BlueShaver Premature Latheration Sufferer

Two options here;

1.Yaqi
    2. See option 1

Enrico likes this.
  6. Ron R

Ron R Well-Known Member

Some of the fellows here can make beautiful brushes in any knot you want- Custom made brushes by @Jayaruh comes to mind.
    If you want good inexpensive brushes I like the Plissoft 24 mm by Razorock or Tuxedo knot 24 mm that can be bought in most Shaving supplier stores.
    A custom made knot would be nice but when I add shipping and the exchange rate to Northern Canada makes me shake my head why? Someday that will change hopefully!

Enrico likes this.
  7. canoeroller

canoeroller Well-Known Member

Synthetic knots have evolved quite a lot the last few years. Some imitate better quality badgers others are stiffer, more like horse hair or even boar.
    Most shavers are happiest with 22 or 24 mm knots.
    I would argue the shape of the handle is just as important as the knot. A well balanced handle that fits your hand will feel completely different than one which does not.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2020
    Ron R and Enrico like this.
  8. Enrico

Enrico Popcorn

Synthetic can vary quite a bit depending on your desires. Some have great backbone (with softer tips) others are luxuriously soft though and through. Some depends on depth set others are just not as dense. What are your desired characteristics in a brush and what soaps do you plan on using. I use to restore primarily in synthetic, but now I mainly work in badger about 65% of the time.

:eatdrink013:

Ron R and canoeroller like this.
  9. ischiapp

ischiapp New Product Bloodhound

Proudly italian ...
    Omega EVO Silversynth
    Ego Special Tricolore

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 20, 2020
    Angelo85 and Enrico like this.
  10. gwsmallwood

gwsmallwood Well-Known Member

Looks like the original poster hasn't been online since the day after he posted this. I'm curious what @rustypixel ended up with and what he thinks of it.

Enrico likes this.