Tabac question

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by rbilly, Nov 17, 2018.

1. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

So i have had a puck of tabac for a little while, finally got around to trying it, although the scent is not the best initially i have never had a soap lather and perform so well. But after the first two shaves its lathering and performance has tappered off. I have not changed anything, and its still works fine, but im not getting that fluffy shiny lather like i did initially, any thoughts or experience?

2. lightcs1776

lightcs1776 Well-Known Member

I've never had an issue with Tobac, so perhaps you aren't adding the same amount of water as you initially did. That's about the only thing that I could think might explain the problem.

Sent from my DROID Turbo using Tapatalk

DesertTime, Tdmsu, brit and 2 others like this.
  3. RyX

RyX DoH!

Easiest fix is load more soap, then slowly add water. I've never had Tabac fail to perform and usually wash a pass or three's lather down the drain.

Tapatalk via LG

4. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    Bloooooooom it. Then load it heavily. Mic drop.

Tdmsu, Keithmax, Paul Turner and 3 others like this.
  5. jimjo1031

jimjo1031 never bloomed myself

It's always been a top performer for me. Like the others before me, adding more water wouldn't hurt.

Tdmsu, Keithmax, brit and 1 other person like this.
  6. brit

brit in a box

had a boar brush hog the lather a bit, once, have always had lather to spare..

wristwatchb, RyX and Keithmax like this.
  7. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

^^what they said ^^. Tabac likes water, lasts forever, and is a top tier soap.

Tdmsu, RyX, Keithmax and 4 others like this.
  8. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    Tabac is a top performer for me, too. That is why I celebrate Tabac Tuesday and Tabac Thursday every week. Being a cold water face latherer, I just wet my brush with cold water and shake it off. Then I load it for 30 seconds and begin to face lather. If I need a little more water, I dip the tip of the brush in the water and continue. I always have plenty of great lather.

9. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

For me
    If I use distiled water, the lather explodes quickly. If on the other hand I use my tap water, it takes more effort to get it going.
    Maybe your water changed between shaves?
    tp

10. rbilly

rbilly Well-Known Member

I think it just my imagination lol, i took a day off from tabac and used some vdh deluxe, came back to tabac and it seems fine. After about two weeks use of tabac i the scent starts to grow on you.

Tdmsu, brit, Erik Redd and 3 others like this.
  11. RyX

RyX DoH!

At first I was like,"LOL!" then I reconsidered. I live in a house built in the 1940's. With galvanized iron pipes having out lived their shelf date the entire mess got replaced. Several had rusted through, allowing water to leak between the walls and damaged floor joists and sub-flooring. When I began removing the entire hot & cold system I got a look inside the pipes. The corrosion had caused the iron to swell on the inside of the pipes. Though my city water is generally soft with a touch of dissolved silicates I was getting lots of iron oxide that occasionally clogged faucets. After a fun time of crawling under the house set on piers, digging a trench all the way to the street, and replacing the cast iron drains my entire in & out is all PVC. The water runs clear with better pressure and none of the rusty red discoloration.

TLDR; Your water can change from one use to the next if the pipes are breaking down.

luv2shave, Tdmsu, brit and 2 others like this.
  12. Terry

Terry Tool Admirer

Going some farther....
    I know if your water co mixes well and surface water (think hardness) may change. If you have a water softener depending on the time of day or how old the unit is the water (hardness) may change.
    All a possible factors in the lathering of you concoction. I started out using distilled water to figure out issues with my hard water. I use the soaps and creams that work best for me.
    My water company gets water from deep wells, hard, hard water is what that is.
    tp

brit and RyX like this.
  13. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

@rbilly, I'm glad you got your problem with Tabac sorted out. It is in my "top 5" for performance. I often have a Tabac stick in my travel kit, and it has worked fine for me with many different water sources. I also load heavy and add plenty of water. I have grown to like the scent, but it doesn't hang around for long after the shave anyway.

Tdmsu, Keithmax and RyX like this.
  14. RyX

RyX DoH!

That cam be fixed. There's more to Tabac than just the soap.
    Tabac line.png The scent is described as "a blend of bergamot, neroli, lavender and is accented with tobacco, oakmoss and vanilla."

Tdmsu, Frijolero, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  15. brit

brit in a box

yes it can and yes there is.. lovely stuff.. 20181121_212717.jpg

16. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Ok, I can't take anymore, I will break out my Tabac: shave soap, EDC and deodorant.

Love me some Tabac :happy088:

Terry, Tdmsu, wristwatchb and 2 others like this.
  17. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

I also have the shave cream. Great for making Uber lather. I also use a hot scuttle. The cream helps maintain the lather. I find the lather from tallow soaps tend to break down under heat.

M14Shooter, brit, Keithmax and 3 others like this.
  18. chevyguy

chevyguy Well-Known Member

I think I'll break out the Tabac for tomorrow mornings shave. I don't have any of the aftershave so I'll follow the shave with a splash of Pinaud Clubman

Clayton

Sent from my LG-K450 using Tapatalk

Mike Brown, brit, RyX and 2 others like this.
  19. Keithmax

Keithmax Breeds Pet Rocks

Inspired by this thread....

IMG_5841.jpg

20. Spyder

Spyder Well-Known Member

Also Tabac inspired. Nothing like a hot scuttle full of Tabac.

8AF5C456-BEED-427B-BB0C-29F8B77FAAC1.jpeg