Tabac Shave Soap: What Should I Expect?

Discussion in 'Shave Soaps' started by Michael_W, Apr 26, 2018.

1. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

Same here. But mine are not the barber style ones. Those have a taller loft, so they probably do need to load a litle longer.

Linuxguile likes this.
  2. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

They told me to expect to smell the purse of an old lady who smoked too much.
    Scared me away from ever trying it.

3. Frijolero

You can get a sample of it, or just about anything else, at shavedash.com.

4. LevelupShaves

LevelupShaves Well-Known Member

I love synthetic brushes very useful and very affordable. I use a plisson know tlwith Tabac about once a month and it loads fine. I'm tempted to agree with Andrew there might not be enough soap loaded on the brush or there's too much/little water in the brush. Welcome!

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

wristwatchb likes this.
  5. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

You could load Tabac with a hair brush and get good lather I think. Easy stuff to lather.

6. Frijolero

I want to see that video!

7. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

Tabac is in my 'top 5' shave soaps. I currently have a shave stick in my travel kit. As others have said, it is a hard soap, and it makes an incredibly slick and protective lather. I think the tobacco flower scent is pleasant, particularly in the cooler months. I can usually find it at a good price on Amazon.

GatorJoe, brit and Linuxguile like this.
  8. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Actually you might. I love a challenge!!

9. GawainandtheGreenKnight

GawainandtheGreenKnight Well-Known Member

Maybe for Mayhem?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. wchnu

wchnu Duck Season!

Yup. That is the plan!!

11. brit

brit in a box

one of my favorites.a great soap from an era when great razors were the norm.

Michael_W and wristwatchb like this.
  12. Michael_W

Michael_W Well-Known Member

Alright, I've shaved using the Tabac a couple times now, and I just love how my face feels afterward. You all weren't kidding about its slickness! Wow! The scent wasn't as strong as I've heard, but it wasn't unpleasant. It smelled of Tobacco flower, reminding me of a tobacco shoppe.

13. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great quality, scent is subjective which I like, but the aftershave is over the top.

Linuxguile likes this.
  14. DesertTime

DesertTime Well-Known Member

You should expect a wonderful, world class soap.Rarely does anyone knock its performance.The harhest criticism I've read is about its scent. I used it exclusively for many years and only got off it to experiment with artisan soaps. I'm back to using it again and enjoying it.

brit, wristwatchb, Jayaruh and 2 others like this.
  15. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

True. Were it available in 'unscented' form, I'd have it in my soap stockpile.

RyX likes this.
  16. SILKS

SILKS Active Member

Luv the Analogy !!!:bounce017:

RyX likes this.
  17. Jayaruh

Jayaruh The Cackalacky House Pet

Supporting Vendor
    I am a fan of Tabac. It is a soap I replace when finished. I even celebrate Tabac Tuesday and Tabac Thursday each week now. I have also added Tabac AS. Love it. I have Williams Wednesdays for my unscented soap.

wristwatchb and RyX like this.
  18. Dansco

Dansco Well-Known Member

It works well for me. Agrees with my baby-sensitive skin too. Smells a little like my dad's mum's purse from when I was little. But that smell doesn't linger through the day and I loved my grandma so whatever.

macaronus, Primotenore and RyX like this.
  19. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    :happy088:

RyX and Dansco like this.
  20. Pete123

Pete123 Well-Known Member

My take on tabac is that the soap base was top tier for many years. As other makers have improved their soap, I think they have eclipsed Tabac. The area where I fault it is that it dries out so quickly relative to others. Having said that, re-hydrating soap isn't a big deal at all.

Linuxguile and RyX like this.