Tailoring

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by The Weathered Strop, Jun 18, 2016.

1. Does anyone here make their own clothing? It is something I have wanted to do for years and years and, my god, it is HARD to learn. Unfortunately there are no courses that teach it where I live, I can't even find a sewing class!

I feel a lot of men are reluctant to get into this kind of hobby/vocation because making outfits for some reason seems to be associated with women. I personally see tailoring as being a very manly trade.

So, yeah, anyone here have the same kind of passion? And if yes, how long did it take to get 'good'/how long do you foresee it taking? How much money are you spending on this hobby? Is it do-able in a small space (I live in a VERY tiny apartment)? Is it relaxing? What do you make/what would you want to be able to make?

My goal is to, one day, make my own suit..I don't even know the first place to start!

Cap7597 and RyX like this.
  2. RyX

RyX DoH!

As a teen during the late '70's I asked my mother to sew some patches on an old worn pair of Levi's. Fairly certain they were bell bottoms & might have been 501 button fly. She looked at me, her oldest of three sons, and told me, "There's the sewing machine. It's a machine, boy, don't be afraid!"
    Over the decades I've crafted a number of pieces of clothing. Only one offs. Some starting from patterns purchased from fabric stores. Others as the creative urge struck.
    While raising & home schooling my four children they were given opportunity to learn on the used machine I purchased from a thrift store. My Ex wouldn't use a machine, but she was handy with a needle and instructed them in the finer points.
    If you are in a metropolitan area, there is surely someone who will take you under their wing for some newbie schooling. Try Craig's List? If you're in a rural setting find someone's grandmother. For the price of doing her some chores I'll bet she'd give lessons until you get the basics down.

3. I'm afraid I live on a tiny island :( There used to be a place that taught it but not anymore, although I'm sure if I looked around someone might be willing to teach. Admittedly the lack of space in my apartment is making things difficult (I've attempted to teach myself to sew but got frustrated trying to learn in such a cramped space).

I did go into an alteration shop a few years back to ask if I could learn from them but they said that none of the staff spoke English so would be unable to teach me, and that it isn't really something that gets taught, at least not where I live, anymore. They said I'd be best going to mainland Europe to learn.

RyX likes this.
  4. RyX

RyX DoH!

So many things we small town Americans take for granted. I live in a home with three bedrooms, 2 baths, both a living room & a den, off the kitchen are a dining room and a utility/ laundry room. Then there's the two car garage with shop. All that and all by myself.
    Depending on the size of the projects you are considering, you'll need elbow room. Dual purposing the space may be your option. Set your sewing machine near the bed so that the open space becomes part of the work area.
    Do you have shops that sell used clothing? Purchase a jacket and pants of a style you like. Deconstruct the finished units down to their components. Now you have a pattern. Using those to lay out your new clothes - get to work! There will be mistakes. Learn from them. If no one is available to teach you then use your personal desire to inspire the learning.
    go time henry rollins.gif

5. It's funny you say that, this has been my exact process so far. I have even created a pattern out of an existing waistcoat I own, just winging it with no idea what I'm doing just to see what the outcome is - my main difficulty is actually using the sewing machine itself. Tbh I think I am just being a big baby! It's been so long since I last took up a new hobby I've forgotten how hard it is to truly be a beginner at something. Funny how one takes for granted being able to pick up something and just knowing how to use it. Here I am expecting to just be able to sew seams expertly having only ever put my foot on the pedal of a sewing machine on some, three or four occasions.

Thank you for the response! It is nice knowing someone around here also has experience trying these things.

RyX likes this.
  6. RyX

RyX DoH!

There are too many "things" to know everything, but I'm ever curious. Hands on training seems to beat book learning for me. That's my Old School showing. The Internet arrived at my home in 1996 when I was 35 years old. My main career has been in residential construction & furniture grade projects and finishes. Along the way I've restored antiques from automobiles to (learning) straight razors. I do enjoy cooking, making wine, jellies, and preserves.
    With all that to keep me busy I like sharing my knowledge with folks that are interested in learning. Guess I was born too late to be a Renaissance Man but too soon to immigrate to Mars.

DaltonGang and PickledNorthern like this.
  7. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I don't tailor my own clothes. However, all of my Oxford style button down shirts (daily wear for me) visit a little old lady nearby. She alters the shirts to fit me, and it's been a big improvement in comfort and fit. It's a huge difference from ready-to-wear.

I wish you all the luck with it should you proceed! Fitted (or even bespoke) clothing is one of life's little secret tips that makes a big difference.

RyX likes this.
  8. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

Hey, just wondering how this is going for you. I grew up with my mom making clothes in a small town.

I'm just about to get my grandmothers old sewing machine. Am real interested to see if you've learned anything or if you've started. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RyX likes this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

They don't make 'em like that anymore. While new machines may have a USB input to auto-embroider, those old machines can straight and zigzag stitch canvas and denim.

Cap7597 likes this.
  10. Cap7597

Cap7597 Well-Known Member

I hope my mom shows me a thing or two when I get it. Haha. It's at the shop right now. I'll post a pic when I do get it. Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. RyX

RyX DoH!

Good to get a tune up.
    Maintenance is better than Repairs.