Taking the plunge on a slant

Discussion in 'Safety Razors' started by Badgerstate, Nov 24, 2017.

1. RyX

RyX DoH!

Bumping the thread - I'll be trying out a Lutz in a week or so.
    Anyone got any new Slant News?

LOOT likes this.
  2. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

I moved on from the slant to a straight. I still love the slant but I love my straight more.

LOOT, Zykris and RyX like this.
  3. ordinaryshaver

ordinaryshaver Well-Known Member

I had been shaving for about a year, getting good close comfortable shaves. My go to for a while was the Merkur 34c. It had either a persona, gsb, or Astra sp.
    Well I decided that I wanted a slant.
    Picked up a merkur 37c, and while there is less irritation, there certainly doesn't seem to be any closer of a shave for me.
    I would still have to Jhook, or buff even with the slant.... does it work, yeah, it's a razor, is it so much better than regular?
    Not that I can tell...

LOOT and RyX like this.
  4. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

I just received a Maggard slant a couple of days ago and first shave was a little underwhelming. Second shave was closer but it bit me under the chin.(first nick of any kind in a long time) The term "ride the cap" refers to what?

LOOT and RyX like this.
  5. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

Beautiful razor sir. I am jealous.

6. RyX

RyX DoH!

Ride the Cap is a way to find the angle of attack with a DE razor. Assuming a downward pass on your cheek, placing he head or cap against the cheek with the handle pointing straight out or level with the floor. Making the downward pass while lowering the handle until the sound of beard reduction is heard, and trying to maintain that angle. Like using a straight razor this holds the blade around 27-30 degrees from the skin giving the best angle for cutting hair, with the least chance of scraping skin. It means the safety or guard bar may never make contact with skin.
    It's a teaching tool or method shared with folks coming off of electric or cart razors that are having issues with Razor Burn. There's a detailed explanation and discussion in the link below.

LOOT, TestDepth and Razorhound like this.
  7. Badgerstate

Badgerstate Well-Known Member

Its doesnt provide a closer shave but I do believe that its smoother.

LOOT likes this.
  8. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

OK, thank you. I knew the technique but not the term.

LOOT and RyX like this.
  9. RyX

RyX DoH!

Put a little polish on the Lutz. Mothers Mag & Aluminum and a cotton cloth restored it to a beautiful shine!
    Lutz shined up 1.gif Lutz shined up 2.gif

Razorhound and Badgerstate like this.
  10. Razorhound

Razorhound Active Member

RyX likes this.
  11. blitz

blitz Member

this has been my experience as well. Cuts easier but doest necessarily get closer

Last edited: Feb 3, 2018
    RyX likes this.
  12. Engblom

Engblom Well-Known Member

RyX likes this.
  13. RyX

RyX DoH!

I got mine in a trade, but there's a seller on the bay that has them for around $40.

14. Pierce13

Pierce13 New Member

Give it a little more time. I have a PAA bakelite slant and a Razorock German 37 and they definitely have a learning curve, though for a slant, the German 37 is a fairly mild option.

RyX likes this.