Tasty Temptations

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by rick, Jul 5, 2007.

1. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

I'm only in shape because I cant cook.

2. Sejanus

Sejanus New Member

Everyone should learn how to cook IMO. It is a great skill and you can sinks A BUNCH of money into it as a hobby. :D

Nice cake Rene! Makes me want to bake something too. I love the green... :rofl

3. JayKay

JayKay 3000 posts and all I got was this lousy title

Well I tried to cook when I moved off on my own into my appartment. It lasted for a semester or so but than it became such a hassle to buy all this food for a meal just for me and wind up with alot to throw out. All of my 5 ingredient or less meals began to get a little old. I'm back to healthy choice frozen dinners and premade chicken strips =-] Im thankful for protein bars and shakes.

4. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Here's one for ya...

If you like tuna anyway. This serves 4, but you can cut it. You wind up wasting some cilantro, unless you have other dishes for it...or have this several days in a row :D, but otherwise, it's a quick meal and VERY tasty! Serve over rice. Fresh steamed (or sauteed) asparagus is a nice side too.

Pan seared Tuna with Ginger Sauce

Leaves from 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
    2 jalapenos, sliced
    4 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
    4 garlic cloves, grated
    4 limes, juiced
    1/2 cup soy sauce
    1/8 teaspoon sugar
    Salt and freshly ground black pepper
    1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
    4 (6 ounce) blocks sushi-quality tuna

In a mixing bowl, combine the cilantro, jalapeno, ginger, garlic, lime juice, soy sauce, sugar, salt, pepper, and 1/4 cup of olive oil. Stir the ingredients together until well incorporated.

Place a large skillet over medium-high heat and coat with the remaining 2 tablespoons of olive oil. Season the tuna pieces generously with salt and pepper. Lay the tuna in the hot oil and sear for 1 minute to form a slight crust; flip and sear the other side 1 minute. Pour half of the cilantro mixture into the pan to coat the fish.

Transfer the seared tuna to plates and serve with the remaining cilantro sauce drizzled over the whole plate.

5. SSLSTudio...

SSLSTudio... Forum Debugger

Thanks Michael sounds delicious , really does. 4 limes ouch. limes are not so cheap but I know they rule by taste and usually its not a good plan to replace them with lemon.

Also I would like people to invite to share their recipies. this is nice but would be great as you go make some shots because a picture tells a 1000 words..

6. Michael

Michael Duke of Kent

Ok. This isn't mine - found the pic here - but it should give you an idea. The link has a few in progress pics. The recipe is from Tyler Florence.

Attached Files:

7. alphage

alphage Member

Family Dollar Tuna

For when you want all your items from one store. All these items are in there.

Cook one half cup of rice. (That takes 14 minutes or so)
    Add one six ounce can of tuna
    Add 1/6 jar of spaghetti sauce

Stir these items.

This will serve one or more.

I eat this quite often.

8. nateyt

nateyt New Member

cornflakes meringue. sometimes, they even put rice crispies in there. yum for me sweet tooth, arrr!

9. fechter

fechter New Member

Not so much a recipe...

Grill 2 chicken breast lightly seasoned with chili powder and sea salt over a mesquite fire. While grilling the chicken, toss a can of refried black beans in to a pot with a couple of spoons of jalapeno jelly and 1 minced clove of garlic. Slice 2 tomatoes and 2 yellow bell peppers. Dice the chicken into bite size chunks. Get some shredded Jack ready too. Wait until the mesquite has coaled, then place a pre-made pizza crust on the grill. Let it cook for a couple of minutes. Flip it over and put all of the other stuff on it. Cook for a couple then serve.

10. Nograz

Nograz New Member

I usually make this for my brother.

Chicken bake:

Marinade a family pack of chicken thighs/legs in your favorite teriyaki sauce overnight. I use yoshidas souped up with ginger, garlic, cayenne and black pepper. Cut into 1 inch pieces any combination of the following:

Red potato
    Yam
    Mushrooms
    Onions
    Peeled garlic cloves (don't chop)
    Carrots
    Soft skinned winter squash like delicata

Toss veggies with oil, spread in a pan in A SINGLE LAYER and roast at 450 around 45 minutes, stirring 3-4 times. Place chicken skin side up on veggies and poor marinade over top, return to oven and cook until chicken is tender.

11. banagar

banagar New Member

Cinnamon Rolls/Buns

Inspired by the recipe from the Bread Bakers Apprentice by Peter Reinhart (excellent book)

6 1/2 tablespoons (3.25 oz) granulated sugar
    1 teaspoon (.25 oz) salt
    5 1/2 (2.75 oz) shortening, unsalted butter, or margarine at room temp
    1 large egg, slightly beaten
    1 teaspoon (.17 oz) vanilla extract
    3 1/2 cups (16 oz) bread or all-purpose flour
    2 teaspoons (.22 oz) instant yeast
    1 1/8 to 1 1/4 cup (9 to 10 oz) whole milk or buttermilk, at room temp
    1/2 cup (4 oz) cinnamon sugar (6 1/2 tablespoons granulated suger plus 1 1/2 tablesppons ground cinnamon)

1. Cream together the sugar, salt, and shortening. Whip in the egg and vanilla extract until smooth. Then add the flour, yeast, and milk. mix until it forms a ball. Mix in electric mixer with dough hook at medium speed for ten minutes or knead by hand for 12 to 15 minutes. The dough should be silky and supple, tacky but not sticky. You may have to add additional flour or water during mixing to obtain this texture. Lighty oil a large bowl and transfer the dough to the bowl, rolling it around to coat it with oil. Cover the bowl with plastic wrap.

2. Ferment at room temp for about 2 hours or until the dough is doubled in size.

3. Mist the counter with spray oil and transfer the dough to the counter. Roll out the dough to about 2/3 inch thick 14 inches long and 12 inches wide. Be careful not to roll it out too thin or it will turn out tough, not tender and plump. Spread the cinnamon sugar mixture on the flattened dough and then roll the dough into a cigar shape. Use all the sugar mixture but dont worry about any that escapes. Cut the cigar shaped roll into 12 equal pieces.

4. Line a sheet pan with parchment paper or spray with spray oil. place the pinwheel shaped rolls on the pan about an 1/2 an inch apart so that they are not touching but are close to one another.

5. Proof at room temperature for 75 to 90 minutes, or until the pieces have grown into one another and have nearly doubled in size. You may retard the shaped buns in the refigerator for up to 2 days, pulling the pans out of the refrigerator 3 to 4 hours before baking to alllow the dough to proof.

6. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F with the oven rack on the middle shelf

7. Bake the rolls for 20 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.

8. Cool the buns in the pan for about 10 minutes and then streak with white fondant glaze while they are still warm but not hot.

While Fondant Glaze
    4 cups powdered sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla extract
    6 tablespoons to 1/2 cups warm milk

1. Mix all ingrediants until smooth.

I know its alot of work and time but it is worth the effort.