Taylor of Old Bond Street Shaving Cream

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Chris Scott, Jun 17, 2014.

1. Bobcat

Bobcat Well-Known Member

The TOBS Avocado is one of my personal "Top 5" creams. I used it yesterday. I am scraping the bottom of this tub and will be ordering another one fairly soon. I also like the Sandalwood.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2014
    theFAT98, wristwatchb and ObiDon like this.
  2. Norseman

Norseman misunderstood Dark Lord of the Sith

I have both, and from what I remember, I do believe that the TOOBS smells slightly more natural and a tad sweeter.

I made a comparison a few years back. It is a silly post, with the intent to be silly, but in case it can be of use, here it is: http://theshaveden.com/forums/threads/norsemans-shave-diary.29807/#post-523248

3. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

I've been using the TOBS coconut for a month and really like the lather and cushion but I do not get much coconut smell. It's just ok. I also have the TOBS grapefruit and it also works great and smells like it has grapefruit in it. Very nice.

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  4. gadabout

gadabout Well-Known Member

I love the TOBS Almond. I got the Lemon & Lime recently and was disappointed. It smells a lot like lemon but not much like lime.

Pedigree and ObiDon like this.
  5. Les Sechler

Les Sechler New Member

Just got my first tub of Grapefruit and it is wonderful! I do find that it will dry on your face a bit but if you add a few drops of water to the brush all is well. The scent has a kind of therapy aspect to it that I like.

Hey, here is a bit of new info that some of you may not know. I always used my brush soaked with super hot water to swirl inside the tub but I find now that you can take a small amount, just what would come off on the tip of your finger and place it either on your palm or in an empty mug. Working the brush on that makes for more suds than you will need - from just a very small amount on the tip of your finger! This means that I can get twice as much from my investment than I used to. TOBS is not the cheapest soap and to get extra millage out of a tub is great. I have tried Lime, Shave Shop and now Grapefruit and all of them are keepers to be sure.

6. J_Man

J_Man right on the Mass border

My preference is their Sandalwood of which I am all out of at the moment, and it also tastes great on my morning toast.:p

7. Jostalli

Jostalli Well-Known Member

Glad to read the great posts about TOBS - Just ordered my first tub. - Starting off with Sandalwood

Pedigree, wristwatchb and clint64 like this.
  8. clint64

clint64 Blind Squirrel

TOBS Sandalwood was my first shave cream and still one of my favorite scents.

brit and wristwatchb like this.
  9. wristwatchb

wristwatchb wristwatch "danger" b

I have used TOBS Avocado and Sandalwood. Both worked very well for me.

brit likes this.
  10. Hawaiihunter

Hawaiihunter New Member

I smelled all of the TOBS, I prefer the smell of coconut vastly over the others. I can't comment on the performance though.

11. theFAT98

theFAT98 Well-Known Member

Love the avocado.

brit likes this.
  12. jeraldgordon

jeraldgordon TSD's Mascot

Meant to reply to this when I first saw it, but forgot...

The drying issue with TOBS is actually a matter of proper hydration. TOBS just plain lathers with such explosive ease that guys tend to under hydrate it. It isn't actually a drying issue - the cream just needs more water, and it has a significant capacity for water. Try hydrating it a little more, don't be fooled by how quickly it appears to lather up, and I think you'll find the drying issue is a thing of the past.

DrStrange and Jostalli like this.
  13. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That sounds nice =) I'm on a break from buying stuff but when I do I think I'm getting TOBS in the rose scent

Pedigree likes this.
  14. Slow Joe

Slow Joe Relishing his obsession

I have never tried tobs but got an email from them today stating they now sell an organic shave cream.

15. Omelmad

Does that matter for you? =)

16. Slow Joe

Makes no difference to me, just thought you TOBS users might be interested. I can send you the e mail so you can print it out and see for yourself. Now what is your email address.....

Dapper-in-a-can-man and Omelmad like this.
  17. Omelmad

I still haven't tried tried TOBS yet =) I should be good =P

18. Slow Joe

+1

Omelmad likes this.
  19. Greg F.

Greg F. Well-Known Member

You're supposed to shave with TOBS? I usually just eat it with a spoon...

You really do learn a lot at TSD!

20. Omelmad

What taste do you prefer? Avokado? Grapefruit? Like? =P

Greg F. likes this.