Tea Drinkers?

Discussion in 'The Good Life' started by Ryan B, Sep 12, 2013.

1. DLreno

DLreno Well-Known Member

I like Assams, loose or bagged. Red Label is a decent bagged Assam for me, and is available in Indian grocery stores. Of the store variety, Luzianne is one of my favorites. Of the green teas, I like Costco's Kirkland. All of these are darn cheap, and I like them more than the pricey stuff.

CarlfromMO likes this.
  2. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Picked up some PG Tips today. I had read it is the #1 tea in England, and I can taste why - brewed up a delicious cup! Certainly one to be kept in stock.

Shotwell, PanChango and macaronus like this.
  3. jpb437

jpb437 Active Member

I love teas from TWG tea in Singapore. It's pretty expensive in the states ($2-$3 a bag) but I got it from a tea bar included with my breakfast buffet at a hotel once. FANTASTIC. When I buy some more I will have to do a Tea PIF.

macaronus likes this.
  4. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Strictly builders tea in my house - brick red and strong! :eatdrink013:Usually it's Tetleys but PG Tips are a good 'un too.

[​IMG]

Shotwell and PanChango like this.
  5. macaronus

macaronus Sir Nice-a-Lot

Yeah, Lapsang Souchong is a great tea! I don't drink it a lot, as I prefer green teas, but from time to time I love to have some.

PanChango likes this.
  6. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Tetley's British Blend. Usually buy a box every few months and transfer it to an ancient steel-lid peanut butter jar from my childhood. I'd odd like that. Have also learned to enjoy Twining's Earl Gray every once in a while.

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Modern Tea Toy
    Not as quaint as an old ceramic tea pot, but this modern version of a coffee-tea kettle by Breville I have found to be quite useful.
    My wife is a big tea drinker (all types), so the variable setting of the water takes the guesswork out of finding the right temp for the right tea.
    Plus, the 200° temp setting for making a quick pot of french-press coffee is a dream for a coffee nerd such as I.

[​IMG]

macaronus and JRod22 like this.
  8. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Interesting, but it doesn't have an herbal tea setting.

9. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

What's in the little bowl on the left? Looks like sugar frosted croutons.

10. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

My understanding is that there's a huge variance in the 'ideal' herbal tea temps so some trial & error may be necessary for the perfect cup.
    For herbal blends, my wife uses one of two settings for either the Green or white tea (175-185°).
    Rough-cut sugar cubes 'in-the-raw'

Shotwell likes this.
  11. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Thanks for the info. Where did you get it?

12. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

I purchased it for my wife from Williams-Sonoma—a bit pricey for a 'water kettle', but I used a $50 gift certificate to soften the blow.
    You can also find it on Amazon

Boojum1 likes this.
  13. david of central florida

david of central florida Rhubarb Rubber

I'm sorry if it's been said.
    I didn't read all the pages.
    I like iced tea made with red rose brand tea. I get it at wally world. the blend has a citrusy flavor. makes nice iced tea, especially if you let sliced oranges float in it

Boojum1 likes this.
  14. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I've meant to try that brand. The new box of Tetley's I bought yesterday replaces the few jarred bags I'd had left for about a year. When I made it this morning, I found it didn't taste as good as I remembered. Sure enough, people online have said the same. Very disappointing. Tetley's British Blend DID make the best cold brew I've ever tasted, and I've tried it with Lipton's Cold Brew and PG Tips. It actually has more flavor cold than hot, which isn't supposed to be...but now it's just blah.

So I guess I'll use the Tetley's to dye some socks or something, and try your Red Rose.

15. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

The wife and I are hooked on herbal teas. Enjoying a cup of Yogi Bedtime. Deeelicious! :eatdrink013:

16. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

Just found Typhoo today at a N.C. Big Lots...never saw it outside of the Meijer import aisle back in Ohio. Figured it was worth $4.50 a box to try it since Tetley has let me down lately. First cup was excellent, better than both current Tetley and Red Rose, which also struck me as lackluster. If the other cups hold up like this one, I'll definitely buy Typhoo again and pitch the others.

Shotwell likes this.
  17. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My favorite - Joy Luck Green Tea made in my coffee press

18. Hardlyanic

Hardlyanic Active Member

Try the sleepy time extra,,good stuff!

Boojum1 likes this.
  19. Shotwell

Shotwell Well-Known Member

Just saw this post. I'm a HUGE fan of tea ever since I took a couple of trips to London in 2011 for work. Love Typhoo, but I like PG Tips, Twinings 1706 Strong Breakfast, Barry' Irish Breakfast Tea, and Punjana.

Ever tried any of those? If you like Typhoo, I am betting you'd like one of these others even better.

Can't find the Twinings 1706 in the US, except via Amazon. :( It's one of my favorites.

macaronus likes this.
  20. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

Every day I start off with at least 3 small glass cups of a Turkish Blend of loose tea.....
    I've been doing this for like 20 years...you could say its becoming part of my morning rituals....ha,ha...
    Actually I used to mix a Turkish tea and Ceylon tea from Sri Lanka...Since I've moved back to the States, I just been drinking the Ceylon because its so easy to find and it is quite delicious...
    Just loose tea and boiled water in the top pot of a double teapot and water in the bottom....simmer for a while and add Brown Cane Sugar to the cup or Honey and drink with breakfast....
    Teapot: image.jpg
    Tea cups: image.jpg

Aspartame is a nuro-toxin....if I use it....normal lights start looking like strobe-lights....don't need that...ha,ha...I'm very sensitive to it...it will ruin a good shave aswell as my day...I've been told most humans react to it but some are totally immune....But in this case, I'm the lab-rat that consistantly reacts badly and in having it diagnosed met others aswell....so if you do react badly to it, don't feel bad, many people do....enough said.

At night, Green tea with lemon, honey and 1.5oz. Of The Macallen 12 year Single Malt...Large coffee mug.....Love it!

Sometimes late at night, just a cup of Ihlamur loose flower buds fixed as loose tea...helps to sleep...

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
    Radiotube likes this.