teamTOBS

Discussion in 'Shave Creams' started by Gilligan and Walter, Dec 24, 2014.

1. WhiskerWhacker

WhiskerWhacker Well-Known Member

I tried this out today and got a much better lather. It didn't dry on my face at all. I did notice the shiny sheen this time. I guess TOBS just takes a bit longer to get it right. Well worth the time spent though.

2. 45auto

45auto Well-Known Member

I also received t.o.b.s. sandalwood for Christmas it also dried out fast even with PSO...

Last edited: Dec 28, 2014
  3. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

T.O.B.S. lathers are thirsty but thick and slick. My first Jermyn Street :love055: :love055: and Sandalwood :love055:.

4. fimpster

fimpster Well-Known Member

My first and only TOBS was a tub of Grapefruit. I love it! SWMBO loves the smell too. I find myself reaching for it more often than any other of my soaps/creams. I just wish they made an AS in that fragrance. I'm looking at getting a couple more TOBS here soon with some Amazon gift cards I got during the holidays.

5. Gilligan and Walter

Gilligan and Walter Active Member

Agreed. I wish they made a Grapefruit AS as well. I know that I have a bad shaving cream acquisition disorder because I often find myself inhaling
    my TOBS Grapefruit shaving cream for no apparent reason. The scent is intoxicating.

Tattoobob, TrentRTR and fimpster like this.
  6. fimpster

fimpster Well-Known Member

Haha, I've done that too!

Gilligan and Walter likes this.
  7. WhiskerWhacker

Thanks to @Gilligan and Walter for some TOBS samples. Yes, the grapefruit scent is really something. I can't wait to try them after the 30 day trial is over.

Gilligan and Walter and Omelmad like this.
  8. oscar11

oscar11 Well-Known Member

I like TOBS. It's a good solid performer for me, both the soap and cream. A lot of good stuff out there, however.

9. spacehobo

spacehobo Well-Known Member

I wish I could emit the smell of Eton College 24/7. I'd probably smell myself all too often though.

10. markjnewcomb

markjnewcomb Well-Known Member

TOBS was my first real shaving cream (non canned goo) I tried. Their Lavender is amazing.

11. Mr. Shaverman

Mr. Shaverman Well-Known Member

Mine too. I'm glad I did, it's good stuff and has yet to be beat as far as I'm concerned.

12. WhiskerWhacker

@Gilligan and Walter graciously sent me a few TOBS samples during the January 30 day rule. I finally got to try one today and peppermint was up first.

I hadn't used any menthol creams or soaps other than Proraso Green cream prior to today. Wow, this one is definitely at least one :Animatedfrozensmily: level higher than Proraso. It smelled and felt fantastic. A nice menthol tingle persisted even after rinsing alum off.

I was struggling making good lather with TOBS Sandalwood, but had no issues whipping up a lot of thick creamy lather this time. Chalk it up to more experience I suppose.

Overall I had a really great and fun DFS today. I am not sure I could use peppermint everyday, but it would be a great addition to anyone's Menthol Monday rotation.

Thanks Professor!

13. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

That's nice of him!

I thought TOBS peppermint just had the smell, I wasn't aware of it being cold. And colder than proraso green nonetheless. INTERESTING!

Gilligan and Walter likes this.
  14. williaty2

williaty2 New Member

So do the different flavors of TOBS creams actually shave different, or do they just smell different?

15. WhiskerWhacker

My guess would be that there are slight differences because they have different oils in them.

16. markjnewcomb

Some TOBS are slighhtly harder than others to lather. My assumption is that this is from the different oils used in different scents. But, my experience is that the lathers produced are extremely similar to each other with the exception of the scent. Things like moisturizing properties, cushioning, slickness, etc. are all extremely similar across the TOBS line of products.

17. jwr0201

jwr0201 Active Member

It took me a while to figure this out! wish I had read your sage advise about a month ago! Found the same thing - TOBS loves water and the lather gets better with each pass lathering! I find myself making extra passes just to use more lather! I must be a lather-junkie!

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  18. GSlim66

GSlim66 Well-Known Member

G&W I tried the Avocado but so far it's been the only one I've used. It lathered like crazy and performed pretty well. What do you find to be the best ones in your opinion?

19. markjnewcomb

While I agree that TOBS is particularly thirsty, I also feel that most people never use enough water. My experience is that when you ask most people "What happened when you added more water?", they don't know because they have always only added water until the point here they think the mix is good, and have never seen the results of adding additional water.

On a side note - wasn't that a long & convoluted sentence? I am starting to sound like a German Philosopher. :(

WhiskerWhacker and Mr. Shaverman like this.
  20. WhiskerWhacker

Today I tried the second of the three TOBS samplers that @Gilligan and Walter sent me. As posted here I tried face lathering with Grapefruit this time and have a new, improved, and esteemed appreciation for TOBS. Anyone that has trouble getting lather with TOBS should really try it out. Thanks again professor, they keep getting better.

Gilligan and Walter and Jostalli like this.