Testing a Ham Radio

Discussion in 'The Chatterbox' started by DDuckyMark, Apr 13, 2016.

1. DDuckyMark

DDuckyMark Ducky Duck and the Hiding Bunch

I just pulled a Kenwood TS-430S out of a box where it has been for over a year. I didn't get to use it after I received it so I'm not entirely sure it is working. I can't get any of the local to me guys on the 2m repeaters to help me test it with a quick chat so I came here.

I'm only a tech so it would have to be on 10m between 29.3 and 29.5. I'm assuming that it will have to be pretty close to me since the band is dead. I'm in Western NC, zip code of 28714.

My call is KK4QBY and I'm hanging out around 29.4 tuning back and forth across my allowable portion of the band. I've called CQ a few times but no takers.

2. Slipperyjoe

Slipperyjoe Rusty Metal Tetanus

3. DDuckyMark

I remember seeing @wristwatchb was licensed as well but he also said he wasn't active much and hes in Kentucky. That might be too far away. I'm new enough that I'm not sure how close someone has to be.

wristwatchb likes this.
  4. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

I'm in Aiken, SC. I'm at work right now though. I might be able to help you after work tonight or sometime Saturday if the band is open.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. DDuckyMark

I work from 6am to 2pm so I should be home most evenings. I'm using a 10m dipole taped to 2 fishing poles and set on top of my bookshelf 3 floors up. I'm not sure how well I'm getting out but that's the best I can do until I move out of these blasted apartments.

6. Radiotube

Radiotube RADInOverdrive

How many watts are you running?
    My call is N5PRE. I've got an Icom IC-7200 on a 40m inverted V with the legs going East/West, so I get out better signals North/South, so that's good. I'm using a tuner to match the antenna to other bands, like 10m.
    Send me an email at radiotube@gmail.com and I will respond when I can get on the air. Not sure what the XYL has planned for me to do when I get home, so I can't promise to get on the air tonight. Friday night or Saturday morning might be better. I'll let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. DDuckyMark

I'm running a Kenwood TS-430S. I think it's 105watts with no way to turn it down. Its been sitting in a box since I got it almost 2 years ago.