TGN Knot Selection

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by OckhamsRazor, May 20, 2011.

1. jcwit

jcwit Member

Nice looking brushes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

I really have to try a TGN finest. The only reason I haven't yet is that I have a PJ2 in two-band and a Rooney 1XL, both of which leave me more than satisfied in the two-band department.

3. Sodapopjones

Sodapopjones Well-Known Member

The TGN is pretty much on par with the new Rooney heritage knots, I'm not a fan of the heritage line anymore, its really no different then TGN and it seems to degrade over time.

4. OckhamsRazor

OckhamsRazor Member

Interesting. I really like my 1XL, but I've only had it since March. Hopefully it won't degrade too quickly.

I've now heard the TGN finest favorably compared to both Simpson and Rooney heritage 2-band, both of which I really love. Pretty impressive.

5. Sodapopjones

Considering nobody can prove Rooney's are actually made by hand or even in England anymore, I'm not surprised they're so similar.

6. napoleon

napoleon Member

+1
    I often use my low loft butterscotch simpson with TGN finest over the other brushes.
    Everyone should try it!

7. Hex

Hex Member

As always YMMV but I strongly disagree about the TGN knots being similar to the Rooney Heritage. I don't think they are even close.

The TGN knots are fine knots in their own right but not on the level of the Heritage. I have not owned a Rooney that was not a Heritage so I can't speak to that but the Heritage is far denser and has softer tips.

8. Sodapopjones

These two are nearly identical both 22mm knots, lofts 46mm except this example of the TGN is denser...

*edit x3* lol just took a fresh photo, with the exception of fan vs bulb, they feel exactly the same, the TGN is slightly denser.

[​IMG]