Thanks to Whoever Changed the Refresh of the Main Page

Discussion in 'The Help Desk' started by CyanideMetal, Feb 16, 2012.

1. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Until now, whenever I would go back from a forum to the main TSD menu page using the "Back" button, it would not un-hilight the forum name showing that I had just read it.

Now it does that without me having to hit "Refresh" to get the forum names to un-hitlight. If this doesn't make sense, that's ok. Just thanks.:)

2. johnus

johnus Well-Known Member

Ok, I'm using a iPhone. Where's the refresh? Have close to 300 alerts ... They won't go away!

3. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

I believe he is referring to his web browser's refresh/reload button. There isn't a refresh/reload link or button on the forum software itself that I can see anywhere.

4. CyanideMetal

You know how a forum's name is hilited and bolded from the master menu, meaning that there are posts that are unread? When I go to the forum and read all the posts that haven't been read and then use the "BACK" button to get to back to the menu list, the forum name is now un-hilited automatically, showing thay I have no unread messages left.

I've noticed this behavior seems to be dependent on my IE browser version. Version 8 works as I described above, but IE 7 doesn't. So, in the case of IE 7, I have to use the "Refresh" button to get the forum name to un-hilite on the menu page because it doesn't do it automatically.

5. IAmTheJody

IAmTheJody Gillette-i Master Staff Member

Sometimes that behavior of a web site is based on the setup of the browser, such as cache and cookie settings and how much stuff is allowed to be stored on your computer so that it doesn't have to pre-fetch it or get it again. Then sometimes it's in the coding of the web site that tells the browser how to react such as changing the color and style of links you've already clicked on/visited. I think in the instance of the of the web site here using a third-party software, XenForo, as the foundation of the web site, the coding is probably neutral for this specific behavior and as you said, it works in one browser and not the other. So I think it's the browser settings. At least in this case. With the advancement of HTML technology, an older version or browser can have issues in interpreting and displaying the layout and background commands - such as turning links on and off - of newer HTML coding, such as HTML5.

I probably didn't do a thing to help you understand that since as a web designer myself, I tend to be too technical in describing related things. But I think somewhere in there, the gist of it is evident. :happy102:

6. GDCarrington

GDCarrington Burma Shave

That is why we had so many browser upgrades in the past 2 years to accommodate new coding methods.

7. CyanideMetal

Yea, in the case of IE7, that's a work issued PC (figures). I don't like IE 8 as it's a huge memory hog. I sure as heck hope that IE 9 is better, but that's what Microsoft said about 6, 7, 8. My cookie and page fetch settings are the same on both versions so, like you, I figure it's a difference in versions of IE.

BTW, on my work issued iPad (another useless electronic device), it behaves like IE 7.