That barber shop scent

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Muffinhead, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Muffinhead

Muffinhead Well-Known Member

It has probably been 45 years since I have been in a barber shop, but the memory of that scent still lingers in my brain. I love the way a barber shop smells. But, what is that scent? Is it bay rum or is it something else. I have got to know.

2. Omelmad

Omelmad My printer email address is..........

Hmm, there is some soaps with barbershop scent. You can check the scent list/combo of that and compare or figure it out.

I have been to some barbershops, but they always smell like hair styling gel or something sweet or fruity for some reason. Never really got a whiff of the "classic barbershop smell" =P

3. Gordy

Gordy Well-Known Member

My barbers always smelled of hair grease, old wood and well......old man! Never had a scent of soap or anything. Pity, I'd have liked that and it may have stopped my journey through cartridge purgatory!

4. swarden43

swarden43 "It's your shave. Enjoy it your way."©

Hair tonics
    Clipper oil
    Pinaud Clubman talc
    Tobacco
    Old men

mix 'em up, there ya go

5. ARGH

ARGH Well-Known Member

Barrister and Mann Seville soap
    Trufitt and hill grafton
    British sterling
    Fine American blend
    I have know idea what's in them but those soaps creams and aftershaves remind me of old barbershops

Boojum1 likes this.
  6. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

CLUBMAN CLUBMAN CLUBMAN!!!

7. HolyRollah

HolyRollah BaconLord

Fine aftershaves.
    The Amercian Blend is the closest scent I've found to an aftershave that harkens back to the real 'barber shop' scent. I enjoy the scent, but my wife isn't a fan ("patchouli oil?").
    To my nose, Clubman reminds me of my visits to some retirement homes, except with a little less Lysol (sorry, Mike…:D)
    [​IMG]

gorgo2 and Omelmad like this.
  8. FacialCarnage

FacialCarnage Well-Known Member

Nailed it !!

Ijustmissedthe50s likes this.
  9. RaZorBurn123

RaZorBurn123 waiting hardily...............

Great advice! What I remember was the magazine rack, and trying to sit really close to a Gent that was reading one of the magazines ;)

10. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

:happy102::happy102::happy102::happy102:

11. Boojum1

Boojum1 Valet Parking Available Here

The Barbershop scents are varied. The British scents are noted to be more floral than those in the U.S. Most will include Base Notes of oakmoss, vetiver, and musk or patchouli.

Brooks Brothers - 1818
    Barrister and Mann - Seville and Original Kyovu
    Fine - American Blend
    Mike's Natural Soap's - Barbershop
    The Strop Shoppe - Barbershoppe
    Al's Shaving Products - Sapone' da Barba and Al's Private Stock Balm

Last edited: Nov 26, 2014
    RaZorBurn123 likes this.
  12. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

WSP Rustic has a new barbershop scent also ( it is a French soap)

RaZorBurn123 and Boojum1 like this.
  13. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Kevin, your jab at Clubman was negated by your recommendation for the fine Fine products. The slate is clean ;)

Bama Samurai and HolyRollah like this.
  14. cubancigar2000

cubancigar2000 Well-Known Member

My memories of the barber shop smell from the late 40's and 50's are identical to my Clubman Pinaud but the Fine American Blend does also. I have some LaToja AS that does too. I think a hair cut was .50 cents and I tipped a quarter? His name was Ed Carter and he could give a shave with a SR like nobody else since.

15. Muffinhead

Muffinhead Well-Known Member

You are absolutely right! I bought a bottle of Pinaud today and as soon as I opened the bottle I knew that was it. That scent brought back memories of the barbershop I used to go to when I was a kid in NYC.

16. ObiDon

ObiDon member in questionable standing

:signs011:

bdalemauger likes this.
  17. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

As a child in 1970's Alabama, my Barber used Pinaud products. The Talc is actually what I remember the most...and feeling all "grown up" when he would outline my hair with a straight just like the older men. Warm memories for me.

Barbicide plays a role in the aroma too.

18. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

and Bazooka bubble gum. ;)

Bama Samurai likes this.
  19. Stubbl E

Stubbl E Well-Known Member

Stogies and Preparation H

bdalemauger, spacehobo, Gilly and 4 others like this.
  20. Bama Samurai

Bama Samurai with Laser-like Focus

I have never tried Fine American Blend because I just assumed I would like it when I got around to it. It is very different from Clubman?