That barber shop scent

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Muffinhead, Oct 27, 2014.

1. entropy1049

entropy1049 Well-Known Member

Very different, but in my mind, still very "barbershop-y" in its own way. Some vetiver, some menthol. Very nice . My favorite in the Fine line.

cmorris357 likes this.
  2. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

Fine just sent me an email yesterday, they've got product again.

Yay

3. gms541

gms541 Member

Clubman has my vote too. I used it this morning and was back in Sal's barber Shop again.

Paul Turner and Boojum1 like this.
  4. CyanideMetal

CyanideMetal Wild and crazy guy

Wasn't Sal's across the street from the Bada Bing?

David Green likes this.
  5. icemanwbs

icemanwbs Well-Known Member

What's there website ?

6. Omaney

Omaney Well-Known Member

fine accoutrements

7. DEfettish

DEfettish Well-Known Member

Not only do I think of the barber shop of my youth, but also my grandpa. I think that is why I like it the most.

Paul Turner, Boojum1, Hodge and 2 others like this.
  8. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

This is exactly what I think of. When I was much younger I would visit my grandparents every summer in North Carolina and my grandpa always took me to the same barbershop that was either inside or near one of the malls in Gastonia. This morning I tried Stirling's Barbershop shave soap for the first time and it instantly brought back all of those memories.

The same grandfather (grandma passed about 10 years ago) called me a day or two ago and said he has an old mug and brush for me that I plan to put away for my son.

9. cmorris357

cmorris357 catching flies.........

I love American Blend. It's nothing like Clubman to me. I'm terrible at describing scents but Clubman is a deeper heavier type of scent. AB is a lighter, fresher type of fragrance. Plus it is mentholated whereas Clubman isn't.

Boojum1 and Troy M like this.
  10. Ryan B

Ryan B Knight of the Soapocracy

American Blend does it for me. I have a bottle of it in the old flask style bottle.

Floid Blue also has a distinct barbershop scent.

Boojum1 and Hodge like this.
  11. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

Ive got the following barber shop quartet on order:
    Fine American Blend
    Pinaud Clubman
    Floid Blue
    Booster Polar Ice
    Im looking forward to stepping back in time when they get here.

youngunn, Troy M and Omelmad like this.
  12. Bird Lives

Bird Lives Future Root Beer King of Turkey

I'm thinking Pinaud Clubman is the scent I remember as the Classic Barbershop scent of my youth....also the Clubman Classic Vanilla....

Boojum1 and Omaney like this.
  13. Tony B

Tony B New Member

Mac's Barber Shop, N. Biloxi, Ms. Clubman aftershave and dusting powder and
    Three Flowers Brilliantine and Butch Wax. That was a long long time ago as you can see I no longer need a barber unless I let it go and the wife does not want to clip it's.

14. Muffinhead

Muffinhead Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, both of my grandfathers died long before I was born, so I never got to make any memories with them. I bet they were both straight razor men though. They were both born in the 1890s.

youngunn and DEfettish like this.
  15. LaSalle82

LaSalle82 Well-Known Member

122614.jpg

I also enjoy the classic barbershop scent. I bought a bottle Fine American Blend about a month ago and like it very much. It's pretty expensive for me at $15/100 ml bottle, however, it definitely has the barbershop scent but with menthol. Its very cool and soothing, not sticky and I'm sure you'll like it. I think Canoe by Dana has a nice barbershop scent too, even more so than Fine American Blend. I found both of these gift sets today at Rite Aide for $4.99/ea. (I love the day after Christmas to shop for myself). However, nothing beats Pinaud Clubman AS & talc for that true barbershop scent!

Last edited: Jan 7, 2015
  16. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Yeah I had forgotten, Butch Wax or Krew comb is certainly one of the smells. Maybe not quite as strong as pinauds.

Radiotube likes this.
  17. gorgo2

gorgo2 geezerhood

I remember the heady mix of...

unidentifiable a/s
    hot lather
    stale cig smoke
    talc
    antiseptic
    Vitalis or Brylcreem
    chrome
    paneling
    dust
    ozone
    shoe leather
    varying degrees of sweat
    hot asphalt or rainy sidewalk (from the open door)

Bottle all that and someone would have a hit on his hands.

GatorJoe likes this.
  18. numerouno

numerouno Member

Barbershop? Lilac Vegetal comes to mind. That strong powdery scent!

Mr. Shaverman likes this.
  19. FlightMedic

FlightMedic Well-Known Member

Krew Comb! I had almost forgotten all about that pink sticky stuff until I saw your post. My grandpa bought this for me all the time growing up so I could spike my hair. I can still smell it and I bet if I looked hard enough I still have a tub or two stashed in the basement.

Spit_Fire likes this.
  20. Spit_Fire

Spit_Fire Well-Known Member

Yeah I remember, spiking my hair with it.