That barber shop scent

Discussion in 'Preshave and Aftershave' started by Muffinhead, Oct 27, 2014.

1. Most have already captured the various scents upon entering the barber shop so I will add in Barbicide. Now leaving the shop and hitting the fresh air there generally was only one of two scents that remained with you if you didn't have any hair tonic or aftershave applied, 9 times out of 10 it was Clubman Talc that the barber dusted your neck with the neck duster brush. And yes Clubman Talc smells like Clubman. Plain talcum powder was for the pool halls, baby powder was for the baby's bottom and Clubman Talc was for the barber shop.

Paul Turner and bdalemauger like this.
  2. Paul Turner

Paul Turner outside the quote(s) now

Many people who have described Clubman on various sites do use phrases of which the main idea is "barbershop". It's funny, I've been thinking-all those times my Dad used to take me to a barbershop when I was pretty young-I'm sure the barber used Clubman on me, but I can't sit here today and say "Yup, reminds me of barbershops as I was getting haircuts as a youngster".

3. Paul Turner

what happened before????

4. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne New Member

"barbershop" scents are probably my favorite. part of the reason is that NONE of them are the same but they are some how ALL familiar. American Blend by Fine and CaD from PAA are very similar (IMO) and are classic to me. Pinaud talc (which I use daily) is another scent. Another PAA scent I think of as babershoppy is their Vloid (which I think is their version of Floid; that I can afford) Amber and powder. The Krew Comb comments are classic as well as they remind me of this. Dr. Jon's Classic is another scent which may take you there but not for everybody.

5. Paul Turner

yesterday, my barberette slapped some Clubman talc on my neck, to finish me off.

6. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Probably because almost all barbershop scents have Bergamot and Lavender in them. The other stuff gets mixed around, sometimes vanilla, sometimes patchouli, Oakmoss, etc. But almost all have Lavender and Bergamot.

Paul Turner likes this.
  7. Paul Turner

Interesting, thanks

PLANofMAN likes this.
  8. tazorac

tazorac Active Member

Barbershop smells are pretty simple, its Clubman Talc Powder, Hair Tonic, and cut hair MAY have a scent.

Paul Turner likes this.
  9. jtspartan

jtspartan appropriately stimulated, via Netflix

Yup to all these...I'd add barbicide and double down on the powdery talc scent for what I remember.

10. RetLEO-07

RetLEO-07 likes his penguin deep fried, with pink sparkles

The barbershop I grew up going to I used until I moved out of town in 1989 when I got married. Since I became a Police Officer in that same town I would still get a haircut there occasionally before work. It was owned by two brothers, Frank and Nick. The third chair was used by some kid fresh out of barber school or some older guy just passing through. Both brothers used to cut hair chewing on unlit Denobli cigars.
    Like most everyone else the smells I remember are Clubman talc, Barbicide, anise from the cigars, and whatever shave cream that came out of the warming dispenser. Up until I was twelve or so my haircut got squared off with clippers. After that it was shave cream and a straight. Neither brother used powered clippers. They both retired in 2002 and moved to Florida.

ninjack likes this.
  11. Bertotrumpet

Bertotrumpet New Member

Pinaud clubman
    Old Spice
    Aqua velva
    Mennen skin bracer
    Barbasol green
    Williams Mug soap
    Any kind of menhol

Basicaly, Barbers in the old days used what ever was readily available.
    My Grandfather was actualy an Italian barber who came over after WWI, he was in the Italian Army. When he moved here, he opened a barber shop. When my brother and I were old enough to shave, we would go to his shop on saturdays and get a full shave and hair cut free! I remember he was a frugal barber but a darn good one. Expert with straight razor. But he pretty much used drugstore products.