Thater is shedding

Discussion in 'The Brush' started by StunBun, Apr 9, 2019.

1. StunBun

StunBun Member

My recently purchased Thater is shedding, and not just a little. I lose between 20 and 25 bristles with each use. I have never abused this (or any) shave brush. Can anyone give their two cents if how I can proceed. The store which I bought it from has shuttered, and i cannot find any information for Thater customer service. Please help, it makes me sad to look at it.

Thank you.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

brit likes this.
  2. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

StunBun and brit like this.
  3. StunBun

StunBun Member

Thank you for the link. I sent an message to Thater through this link about 1 week ago, and now waiting for their response. I appreciate your effort.

brit likes this.
  4. PLANofMAN

PLANofMAN Eccentric Razor Collector Staff Member

Moderator Article Team
    Good luck, you'll need it. Thater customer service has the worst reputation of any shave brush manufacturer. (Unless that has changed in the last ten years?)

brit and StunBun like this.
  5. StunBun

StunBun Member

Thank you for the reality check. So its not just me?

brit likes this.
  6. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    Ah, no. It's not just you.

Here's the thing, all brushes shed. New brushes shed quite a bit as all the hairs that are not epoxied in fall out. This is normal. Some bushes will shed a couple hairs every single time they are used. This is unusual and upsetting to the owner, but still 'normal.'

Hairs falling out in clumps is not normal, and is a warranty issue. But the warranty is void if they decide you have used it with water hotter than 40°C/104°F. (That's 5.4°F hotter than the human body. Most people would consider that lukewarm). Or if you face lather.

You might find this an interesting read.>>>

https://www.badgerandblade.com/foru...buy-another-thater-brush-see-post-200.273504/

brit likes this.
  7. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    I honestly feel you are probably still just losing lose hairs, and if Thater does respond to you, they will probably say the same.

brit likes this.
  8. StunBun

StunBun Member

That link led to a discussion of face soaps...not sure if that was the intention. I definitely lose 20 hairs or more per use. Never had this prob with any of my other four brushes. Had the Thater for a year. I use it about once every three months hoping for a miracle but now I'm done.

brit likes this.
  9. PLANofMAN

Moderator Article Team
    It should have taken you to a thater warranty thread. Google "I will never buy another thater brush".

brit and StunBun like this.
  10. brit

brit in a box

i don't see myself purchasing a thater.having seen some nice handles i was intrigued.maybe a reknotted one in the future, customer service is a must for me even if the product is a little iffy by nature.i will stick with simpsons or custom built brushes for now..

DaltonGang and BigMark83 like this.
  11. Primotenore

Primotenore missed opera tunity

Article Team
    My Thäter "Premium Boar" was the WORST brush I ever purchased. However, I had a really nice Thäter Fünf, which never shed a single hair.

brit likes this.
  12. Frijolero

Frijolero Well-Known Member

It did. As I read it, there is absolutely nothing wrong with that brush. Other people in the thread even mention the same behavior in other makes (not shedding in this case.)
    So they directed him back to the retailer. That doesn't seem unreasonable to me. If I were a manufacturer, I would do exactly the same thing - stick to manufacturing, and let the retailers deal with the retail customers. The website even states in so many words that they are a business-to-business operation.

Of course, that's not an option in the case at hand. It's possible that they would deal directly with the customer since the retailer is closed. It's also possible that they would ask you to go through another retailer that is at least on the same continent. In which case they should at least direct you to one.

Unfortunately having had the brush for a year doesn't help your case any. And if you really only used it once every three months, then that's four uses? A proper hreak in may be all it needs. And it would be reasonable to ask you to do that before you call the brush defective.

13. StunBun

StunBun Member

Thanks for the response. I had broken it in initially using it approximately a dozen times in two months. After I noticed the shedding, which went from one to 5 to 10 to 20 bristles i began to stop using it. This is when I contacted the now defunct retailer. Subsequently I then used it once every three months, confirming it was still shedding. Now trying to contact Thater directly, b ou t haven't had any reply.

Frijolero and brit like this.
  14. BigMark83

BigMark83 [...........] this space intentionally left blank

If they don't take care of you, and you like the brush that much you can always get a reknot. I'm sure you could contact one of the guys on here be it @Enrico or maybe @jimjo1031 . Or you can send it to Shavemac, as they reknot brushes as well. I know it may not be cheap, but it's always good to have a back up plan.

15. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Any pics of the brush????

Frijolero, StunBun and brit like this.
  16. StunBun

StunBun Member

I will post some by end of the day.

17. Sara-s

Sara-s This Pun for Hire

Is the handle nice? If so, re-knotting may be the best option.

Frijolero, brit and BigMark83 like this.
  18. DaltonGang

DaltonGang Ol' Itchy Whiskers

Ohhhhh, the handles are nice. For between $150-$350 a brush, they should be superb. Tooooo mucho for me.

19. StunBun

StunBun Member

Here are a couple of photos of the Thater brush that is shedding. I used it yesterday again and once again lost 20 hairs. The handle is indeed in good shape and is a candidate for a re-knot. The Shavemac website stated that the labor was 9.90 Euro, but no statement as to the parts cost. Seems a long way off from $350, but what do I know. At this point I was hoping that it could be repaired with what is there but I guess I will wait and see.[​IMG][​IMG]

Frijolero, Enrico, DaltonGang and 2 others like this.
  20. StunBun

StunBun Member

I will see what Thater and Shavemac say and go from there.

Frijolero, DaltonGang and brit like this.